New York Jets unveil new uniforms

20 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

OK after seeing today's game, I am all in on Kelly green for the Jets. My only gripe is that it was color rush, so they were wearing green from head to toe.

White pants will be needed for the home look... Green pants on the road with white socks will be fine

ed95cd6a-3a45-4696-8bb6-b4a6dca2eeb8-102

d0c146-20181021-vikings01.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W/ the Jets changing uniforms in 2019, my upcoming thought has become irrelevant. But i still wanted to get this off my chest. In 2013, Nike took over as NFL uni outfitter; and they essentially just forced team uni designs into their template. Specifically for the Jets, this caused an atrocious look when the arm sleeves/caps seams and the shoulder seems meet up

Since 2013, this has always bugged me. Because I could instantly see the quick fix; but 5 years later, it still looks the same. please bear with me

oPpQ7qm.jpg

Here's the away uni for example. Nike/NFL simply used the shoulder sleeve stripes ALA the Colts, and stuck them onto the Jets. Which is completely fine. Solely speaking on these shoulder stripes, the colors go Green/White/Green. Using MS Paint, I just swapped the sleeve colors to W/G/W. Now there isn't that hideous transition from arm sleeve/cap to shoulder seam. On the primary home Green jerseys, just swap the colors around again

1 hour ago, keyser.soze said:

W/ the Jets changing uniforms in 2019, my upcoming thought has become irrelevant. But i still wanted to get this off my chest. In 2013, Nike took over as NFL uni outfitter; and they essentially just forced team uni designs into their template. Specifically for the Jets, this caused an atrocious look when the arm sleeves/caps seams and the shoulder seems meet up

Since 2013, this has always bugged me. Because I could instantly see the quick fix; but 5 years later, it still looks the same. please bear with me

oPpQ7qm.jpg

Here's the away uni for example. Nike/NFL simply used the shoulder sleeve stripes ALA the Colts, and stuck them onto the Jets. Which is completely fine. Solely speaking on these shoulder stripes, the colors go Green/White/Green. Using MS Paint, I just swapped the sleeve colors to W/G/W. Now there isn't that hideous transition from arm sleeve/cap to shoulder seam. On the primary home Green jerseys, just swap the colors around again

Looks so much better, i'd been hoping they would address this issue for years. I just hope they dont muck up the new uniforms too much. 

1 hour ago, keyser.soze said:

oPpQ7qm.jpg

Seriously though! I was so baffled when the Nike set came out and they didn’t do that (it could’ve been done on the original Nike cut just the same, which I believe was the Pro Combat cut). And then when they switched cuts, I was baffled again when they still didn’t do it. It’s amazing how sometimes the clearest and most obvious solution gets continuously missed somehow when it comes to these things. That’s what it should’ve been from Nike outfitting day 1. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, keyser.soze said:

oPpQ7qm.jpg

2012*

On 10/23/2018 at 4:40 PM, keyser.soze said:

oPpQ7qm.jpg

So simple a Nike designer can't figure it out!

I've hated the GWG stripe forever, but never even considered the simple solution of making it WGW.  Sometimes the answer is right in front of your face and you look right past it.  Looks great... or at least, better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/23/2018 at 1:40 PM, keyser.soze said:

In 2013, Nike took over as NFL uni outfitter; and they essentially just forced team uni designs into their template. Specifically for the Jets, this caused an atrocious look when the arm sleeves/caps seams and the shoulder seems meet up

Don't know where you're getting 2013 from.  NIKE took over in 2012 (NOT 2013) . . Reebok final season was 2011 when they did the Buffalo Bills re-do.

If the J-E-T-S keep the current theme and only tweak it then I hope they revert back to the pointed football shaped logo and get rid of the oval-shaped rugby ball. I never understood the reason behind that.

On 10/23/2018 at 3:40 PM, keyser.soze said:

oPpQ7qm.jpg

This. All day this. 

Guys, the knit trim issue was a Reebok problem as well (e.g., this game-worn jersey from 2002):

39379a_lg.jpeg

Upon zooming in, one can see that the stripe goes g/w/g. Heck, it was a problem from the start of the redesign (e.g., this 1998 game-worn jersey):

35955_01_lg.jpg

It was an unfortunate carry-over, one Nike could have fixed had the Jets pointed it out.

Actually, those photos show that it is a Nike problem.  On the Reebok vesion, the outer-most green stripe is basically on the sleeve rather than on the shoulder seam, so there's no awkward green cut-in like on the NIke version.  Hell, on that Curtis Martin version, you wouldn't even be able to tell it was GWG unless you looked close - the green stripe lines up perfectly with the sleeve green.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/23/2018 at 4:40 PM, keyser.soze said:

This simply isn't true.  Several teams opted to keep their previous jersey template / materials / manufacturer and just slap the Nike logo on the sleeve.  Just off the top of my head, Green Bay, Philadelphia, and Carolina did.  Maybe New England.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Oakland too, for the first couple years. 

I think New England might have adopted the new template, they just kept a custom collar on it.

This is correct, even today they still have the double knit collars just now with the triangle and the front.

You would think they could keep the same basic template but fix problems.  Like will someone fix the multiple shades of blue the Cowboys use?  Yeah I know, some people say it is now tradition blah blah.  Well the Tigers had a different D on their jerseys and hats for years and years.  They FINALLY corrected their mistake. So can the Cowboys...and Jets.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:09 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

This simply isn't true.  Several teams opted to keep their previous jersey template / materials / manufacturer and just slap the Nike logo on the sleeve.  Just off the top of my head, Green Bay, Philadelphia, and Carolina did.  Maybe New England.

I apologize, “forced” wasn’t the best word to describe what i meant. “Squeezed into” might be better wording. Some of the teams that agreed to use the new Nike template had previous tricky/unique Reebok templates that didn’t transition over well. I hope that didn’t make it even more confusing haha

As for the 2013 comment; i was incorrect it was indeed 2012. Someone corrected me almost immediately but i was too lazy to Edit sorry

15 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Green Bay, Philadelphia, Carolina, Oakland and Atlanta. Every other team switched. That’s now down to just Green Bay and Carolina, though Oakland and Dallas still use Ripon for their pants. Nike also took over in 2012.

The Eagles didn't immediately switch to Nike? I remember an issue with Nike not having the regular home jerseys ready for them, and the team had to wear their ugly black alts. If Nike had an extra year  or two to prepare for Philly, that makes that issue even stupider.

The entire league went to Nike in 2012. The Eagles just didn’t change to the Elite 51 template until 2014 (at which time they had the issues you mentioned). Raiders went to the Elite 51 in 2015. Falcons went to Vapor Untouchable in 2017. Green Bay and Carolina remain the lone holdouts. 

More than just not going to a template.  Those teams' jerseys were not made by Nike.  That Vick jersey is not a Nike jersey.

Archived