TheFallenHaveRisen

New York Jets unveil new uniforms

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Geno's and Pat's are maybe top 5 if I'm feeling generous

Are you suburban or live in the city?  Other than the over-60 crew, I don't really know of anyone that goes to any of the "stands", with the exception of the 2:30 AM scenario I mentioned above.  The lines are tourists - including "local tourists", AKA suburban kids trying to act like they're "doing what city folk do even if city folk don't do that (I was one of these as a kid).  I certainly don't represent everyone - not by a long stretch - but for me, a cheesesteak is something I'll grab from Cosmis (8th and Dickinson, a few blocks south of the "famous" places) or Oregon while on the way walking to the games.  Whenever I have friends visiting, I recommend them to get the roast porks from either Johns, Dinicks, or local spots like Francoluigi (my corner spot), or various others.

Keep in mind (for anyone... in any city) whenever you see lines around a block, it's a tourist thing.  Nobody that lives there (any city) and has their day planned is going to wait in a line for a half hour for a sandwich.

Gods I hate this thread now... glad I could contribute to my own pain.

Back on track - 

1.  The helmet and uniform just don't seem to go together.  The helmet is kinda like "modernized classic", while the uniform is "contemporary all the way".  I think that they needed to use a whole different look for the helmet - especially if set on green.  Either something more "aerodynamic" (closer to the 80s version), or the new NY oval (that's what I would have done.)

2.  The NEW YORK is atrocious and bush league.  For Cleveland, I'm sure they put it there so people would buy the jerseys and "rep the city", so to speak.  For this... I don't know why it needs to be there.  I do understand they need something to make it a "Jets" jersey - but maybe the aforementioned NY oval under the collar would have worked.  At least they didn't write "NEW YORK" into the shoulder spikey things.

3.  I'd've preferred a white helmet.  Despite the 80s/90s look, I will always associate the Jets with the Namath white-helmet era, and think that should be their go to.  That being said, while by itself the new helmet is a beautiful shade, it clashes a lot with the new jerseys.  Can't have it both ways - you want flat jerseys, you shouldn't have metallic helmets.  THey should have been the Vikings finish.

Overall:

I'm going to go with downgrade, only because while the now-former set had its issues (mostly the sleeves and shade of green), it was still a classic design that could have either remained forever, or been brought into 2019 by simply modifying the helmet logo, and maybe the font and fix the shoulders.  The new ones will be changed in 5 years.  The angled panel on the pants just doesn't scream "classic" or "timeless" to me, and I think a team like the Jets - like their big brothers the Giants - should strive for that kind of identity.

if i was tweaking this set:

1.  throw the jet silhouette from the 80s logo on top of the wordmark that is on the helmet.

2. either seriously shrink down the 'NEW YORK,' or go with the 'NY' mark they have (but again, make it smaller).

3. i'd cut the stripes off at the sleeves. feel like the stripes going onto the chest is what will ultimately date this set.

4. pair the BFBS uni with green pants. so i'd go BLACK-GREEN-BLACK (jersey-pants-socks), which i think would make the green elements pop. also, i'd like to see a GREEN-BLACK-GREEN look at some point (i'm sure we will).

i know this probably can get filed away to the unpopular opinion thread, but i think this set is a major upgrade from what they had (yes, what they had last year, not what starter produced in 1998, though my personal taste still like this set better than that set, too). i'm usually a traditionalist, but i don't mind black in the color scheme, i love the new shade of green, and think the helmet is the star of the whole set (i have always preferred the jets in green helmets, probably because of when i grew up). with some tweaking, it could have been a modern classic. as-is, i think it's a very solid uniform.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:09 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Speaking as an arrogant New Yorker, I can say that that position is not only silly, but it is also entirely backwards.

The fact that a team that is located in New Jersey identifies with New York City is an acknowledgement of the primacy of our great City. Such a policy on the part of a team says that the only thing important about that location is that it is part of the New York City area. (Not "market", please, as there is so much more to New York's greatness than commerce.) New York is the capital of the world, the centre of the universe. Its influence does not stop at its borders.

And this truth was affirmed by the MetroStars when they (having several years earlier shorn themselves of the risible and unwieldy geographical identifier "New York / New Jersey") changed their name to the New York Red Bulls. When they did this, they were about to open a new stadium in Harrison, immediately adjacent to Newark, which is New Jersey's largest city and a fine metropolis in its own right. But the only thing that the team's new owners were interested in was the fact that the team is in the New York City area, connected to the City proper by the (highly underrated) interstate subway system known as the PATH train.

(I should note that I support NYCFC, and strongly dislike the Red Bulls. I absolutely hate the team's corporate nickname. But I have all the respect in the world for the decision on the part of the team's ownership to adopt the correct geographical identifier of New York.)

I would also like to say that I have no patience for the comment "Jersey is Jersey". The great small cities of Hudson County are not at all what we arrogant New Yorkers have in mind when we sneer at Jersey.

I have ridden my bike all over New Jersey, more than once out to my relatives' house in Morris County. Now that is what we mean when we dismiss Jersey and say that Jersey sucks.

But please do not conflate those awful suburban hellscapes with vibrant urban centres such as Jersey City, Hoboken, and Union City. These are places that feel like home to a New Yorker, much moreso than does the eastern Queens nowheresville where I grew up (but fortunately escaped), to say nothing of that benighted wasteland Staten Island.

Finally, I can only wonder whether someone with the Cosmos' name as his screenname grasps the irony of denouncing the Jets for playing in the Meadowlands, as the Cosmos are an historic phenomenon solely on the basis of their play in the Meadowlands. When Mick Jagger and other celebrities were attending Cosmos matches, they weren't so much going to New Jersey as much as they were taking part in New York City's culture.

I was born in the Bronx, grew up in Queen, live in Brooklyn. I have been here all my life and I understand the politics of the City and sports more than most, so please don't lecture me. I almost moved to Jersey City. Thank goodness I didn't. Jersey City is "vibrant"? Not so much. Go up Columbus or Grove towards the highway. Or hang a right at the Grove Street PATH station past the City Hall and the 3 or so blocks of high-end places. Tell me what you see. 

I was a diehard Jets fan when I was growing up. I suffered with the Jets in the 70s and early 80s, usually sitting in the end zone at the open end of the stadium. Once Hess pulled his garbage and the Jets left for Jimmy Hoffa's burial place, I said good riddance. I have not attended a game since. I can understand the Giants. Robert Moses was unwilling to build a stadium for the Giants (Van Cortland Park I believe, and he wanted the Dodgers to move to Queens – what became Shea). Jersey is nothing more than a leach to Philadelphia and New York. The Jets don't pay New York State and New York City taxes. They are not New York. End of discussion. 

This is about the ugly Jets uniforms, not a political thread. Please keep to it. 

I'm starting to see some calls here for the black jersey to be worn with the green pants. While pretty much anything is better than black monochrome, I don't see the black over green option being much better. Not with that plain white stripe. It all feels a bit disjointed.

1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I saw the jets fan too during wrestlemania.

Here he is.

J58p9dP.png

That first picture looks like he saw the Jets season already. 

12 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm starting to see some calls here for the black jersey to be worn with the green pants. While pretty much anything is better than black monochrome, I don't see the black over green option being much better. Not with that plain white stripe. It all feels a bit disjointed.

Not recommended.

6_8390860.jpg

2 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Here he is.

J58p9dP.png

When I first saw him I thought he was a child.

The Jets have been sending out jerseys in these really nice boxes as gifts to former Jets/celebrity Jets fans/other New York sports teams, but I am a bit wary about the fact that it's the black ones being sent out.

Can't wait to hear from the first poster who expresses his disdain for Paul Lukas and complains about Uniwatch's 'Culinary Corner' in this thread.

3 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Here he is.

J58p9dP.png

Gary Vaynerchuk??

34 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Jets have been sending out jerseys in these really nice boxes as gifts to former Jets/celebrity Jets fans/other New York sports teams, but I am a bit wary about the fact that it's the black ones being sent out.

fairly normal for teams to use black in any material intended for VIPs. Dolphins do it too

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

i don't know. did a quick edit from the studio unveiling pics. looks pretty good to me (and the contrast would obviously be even greater in daylight/under stadium lights):

black-green-black.png

59 minutes ago, schlim said:

Can't wait to hear from the first poster who expresses his disdain for Paul Lukas and complains about Uniwatch's 'Culinary Corner' in this thread.

Why even bring that up?

Anyway... what if they had outlined the spikes in white (on the white jersey) and then made the sleeve green underneath (and reverse on the other jerseys).  It might have looked more like an update of the classic set that way.

3 hours ago, Brian E said:

if i was tweaking this set:

1.  throw the jet silhouette from the 80s logo on top of the wordmark that is on the helmet.

2. either seriously shrink down the 'NEW YORK,' or go with the 'NY' mark they have (but again, make it smaller).

3. i'd cut the stripes off at the sleeves. feel like the stripes going onto the chest is what will ultimately date this set.

4. pair the BFBS uni with green pants. so i'd go BLACK-GREEN-BLACK (jersey-pants-socks), which i think would make the green elements pop. also, i'd like to see a GREEN-BLACK-GREEN look at some point (i'm sure we will).

i know this probably can get filed away to the unpopular opinion thread, but i think this set is a major upgrade from what they had (yes, what they had last year, not what starter produced in 1998, though my personal taste still like this set better than that set, too). i'm usually a traditionalist, but i don't mind black in the color scheme, i love the new shade of green, and think the helmet is the star of the whole set (i have always preferred the jets in green helmets, probably because of when i grew up). with some tweaking, it could have been a modern classic. as-is, i think it's a very solid uniform.

Personally I think wraparound stripes with a contrast nameplate would look awesome. I actually don't mind the stripes extending onto the chest in front. That's pretty much my only disagreement with your analysis.

1 hour ago, schlim said:

I think that was you! Congratulations!

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I’m hoping to see them wear black pants and green socks with the green jersey at least once this year.  Maybe same with the white jersey too.

Don’t like how they used a font so similar to the Jags. 0,3,6,8, and 9 look they same at first glance. 

1 hour ago, unimaniac said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I’m hoping to see them wear black pants and green socks with the green jersey at least once this year.  Maybe same with the white jersey too.

i'm with you.