New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

The Bucs uniforms are a decent number font away from being really good. 

(Runs and hides from the mob.)

And normal-sized helmet logo, and stupid BUCS sleeve patch, and dumb-ass pants stripes, and...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

44 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

And normal-sized helmet logo, and stupid BUCS sleeve patch, and dumb-ass pants stripes, and...

And silly chrome mask, and dirty gray yoke, and pewter socks.... My Lord, pewter socks?

57 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Youre right...im with you.

54 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

These arent make or break and i get where you're coming from. Id put the ship logo on both sleeves and keep the helmet logo size

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They'll likely have a third jersey... because.  What color would we expect that to be?  I'm going with gray  (maybe even wolf gray, though they'll probably call it 'fuselage gray' or some :censored: like that.' 

weather if they go with a white or green helmet, they'll have an option to do a throwback. its possible they could do a home and away version of said throwback which would give them their 4 total options. they dont NEED to do an alternate color, but gray or silver for the Jets does sound interesting. imagine a helmet inspired by fighter pilots or planes. that'd be pretty freakin' sick if you ask me

HG1t5I2.jpg

HGSOM3m.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So basically... it could be anything.  That's where I'm at.  A Jags-style neo-traditional set would work well for them (though I hate it for the Jags) as long as they put traditionalish striping on at least the white pants.)

They'll likely have a third jersey... because.  What color would we expect that to be?  I'm going with gray  (maybe even wolf gray, though they'll probably call it 'fuselage gray' or some :censored: like that.' 

this is absolutely what they would call it. 

as far as the video, i have no idea what to expect. and like you said, the video can absolutely take every single viewer in whatever direction they want their mind to go. 

the couple of things i like that i saw on the wall were different pictures of NY uniforms. when you think about the primary uniforms in the market -- yankees, mets, rangers, islanders, giants, knicks, and even the nets leans very classic-looking -- i think and hope that both the jets and nike understand that if they get too modern and gimmicky, it won't work that well. as i've said earlier in the thread, i'm a big fan of the green helmet look and logo, so i'd love to see that return in some way. 

i'd expecting the worst and hoping for the best. we shall see.

1 minute ago, DeFrank said:

Live look at the Jets/Gaints game taking place two or three years from now:

https://goo.gl/images/oxDbEn

i grew up in this era (yeah, adrian murrell!), so admittedly, both of those looks hold a lot of nostalgia for me. but frankly, i think those would upgrades for both teams. there is zero reason why the giants' color rush unis shouldn't be their roads, and an updated look of that jets set would be lovely to me.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

...though they'll probably call it 'fuselage gray' or some :censored: like that.' 

Would that offend you or something? ?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And silly chrome mask, and dirty gray yoke, and pewter socks.... My Lord, pewter socks?

Lets not forget the ship sleeve patch that has the post in front of the sail. 

How was that missed in the design process?

currentbucslogo.png

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

Lets not forget the ship sleeve patch that has the post in front of the sail. 

How was that missed in the design process?

currentbucslogo.png

That's not a post; that's the bowsprit-- a spar that is attached to the bow of a ship, and used to hold triangular jib sails (though this ship doesn't have any jib sails hoisted at the present time).

It's really not directly in front of the sails; that's an effect of the lower perspective and foreshortening.

These should give you an idea of the same thing that's going on:

04519a31b846dc4de2d96af1ada6bd43--nautic cp-tallship.jpg 61tvO3+UAkL._SX425_.jpg

It is what it is.

55 minutes ago, TheFallenHaveRisen said:

Is it an unpopular opinion to say I'm 100% on board with and hope they use a font like this?

ZPPwRwm.png

Still block enough to fit in with traditional uniforms but unique and relevant to the team name/mascot

im with you. that particular font i think is only used by the Air Force (Navy having their own varient) but i like where your heads at. theres a ton of military/jet typography to pull from and if they’re going to take it in a new direction, this is a good space to be in. which would make any potential throwback a more distant and unique design. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

As a Jets fan, I'm completely worried about all of this.

On the most optimistic side, I'm expecting a two toned reproduction of the 80's green uniforms with a couple of horrible striping issues or else copious amounts of grey along with a black alt that will make the 49ers black alt look like the 67 Packers.

What I'm sadly worrying about it either a full Oregon/Titans/Browns modern debacle, or else a full on military love affair with every sickening over the top military device thrown in for good measure. Just keep the stupid greens a bunch of drab olive greens that don't match. Make the logo on one side of the helmet backwards so it matches American flag patches on military outfits so it follows the flag code like it's blowing in the wind. Give the pants a bunch of faux rivet graphics to make the silvery-fuselage grey look more like a real fighter jet. Let's write the Battle Hymn of the Republic in the collar, and then use the most military style graphics for numbers ever! Can't wait to read the press release about these jet-inspired touches.

Fans like this will gobble this :censored: up.

SNbE0t7.jpg

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

That's not a post; that's the bowsprit-- a spar that is attached to the bow of a ship, and used to hold triangular jib sails (though this ship doesn't have any jib sails hoisted at the present time).

It's really not directly in front of the sails; that's an effect of the lower perspective and foreshortening.

These should give you an idea of the same thing that's going on:

Not the pointy thing at the front of the ship, it’s the pole in front of the back (stern?) most sails.

currentbucslogo.png

IEI5Tg1.png

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Would that offend you or something? ?

I just don't like team-specific modifiers on colors.  Marketing shouldn't extend into the crayon box.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe it's somewhere between me being prior military and also having been a former ramp rat*--and definitely because I know the history--but I always find it funny how so many people instantly link/want to link a potential NY Jets brand identity to fighter jets. Might be worth mentioning that the reason the team is even named so in the first place was due to their move from the Polo Grounds to Shea Stadium and it's close proximity to LaGuardia airport...a commercial aviation facility (read: passenger jets--the original Jets logo even reflects this). It's one of those admittedly ticky-tack things that still grinds my gears for whatever reason. 

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand...

I'll be frank: I'm expecting something closer to the Snatit Titans' modernized...things rather than something tasteful and trim a la the Vikings. And I fully expect some hue of gray to show up in the colorway because Nike. (I also won't be shocked to see two-tone green... I've been seeing a lot of bright green in much of their marketing materials lately.) I hope I'm wrong, but...hey, I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

All speculation aside...I wanna revisit a line of thought cooked up by my man McCarthy, when he discussed the contract between the pre-2004 Cincinnati Bengals' look and their now-current ones:

[The pre-2004 uniforms] say, "we're a football team dressed like tigers." The [now-present uniforms] say "we're tigers who play football."

That's the kind of difference I'm bracing for with this Jets update...

*For those who don't know, "ramp rat" is the colloquial reference to "ramp agents", those guys you see out on the tarmac with safety vests and knee pads and such loadinging the planes and driving all that ground equipment around the plane.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

Not the pointy thing at the front of the ship, it’s the pole in front of the back (stern?) most sails.

currentbucslogo.png

MAST, not pole (sorry, been sailing and boating since I was a kid).

And, HOLY CRUD! I stand corrected and can't believe I never noticed  (and apparently, neither did a few others) that flub. That IS a mighty big mistake.by designers.  Mea culpa, VikWings et als....

It also bugs me that the sails are catching wind, but held by... nothing. No ropes (or, lines) securing them.

Then again, this is a set whose primary has a flag which is somehow held aloft by a sword, with only some gravity-defying magic (or primitive Super Glue) keeping it attached to the sword.....

It is what it is.

Sonny Werblin, a high rolling TV and movie star agent, was one of the main guys (with Leon Hess) who bought the Titans and he personally changed the name to Jets to play off the then soaring popularity of the Mets, as well as the stadium's proximity to LaGardia. Hess' gas stations were green and white, because they wanted a 'crisp, clean look'. Sonny liked the freshness of the green and made the green and white the team colors, which completed the shift from the drab of the drab gold and blue color scheme of the Giants copycat Titans.

I always think the Jets are a product of the 60's, and even with a lot of their fan base generally aligning with Mets fans, presented a new look and feel to sports that old traditional franchises like the Giants and Yankees could never take on. Look at this TWA poster from the 60';s - the font is almost exactly what the Jets use today. 

SCEQmdX.jpg4jfsgns.jpg

There's certainly a nostalgia for the jet-set era of travel - when traveling was fun, expensive, mysterious, etc. I'm not saying the Jets should dress as travel agents or go-go dancers, but they've always represented an alternative (for better or worse, mostly worse) for Giants fans and old ways.

That identity only becomes more solidified when the biggest star your franchise ever had was a .500 quarterback known for his sideburns, pantyhose ads, and being a fixture on the nightclub scene. The Simpsons saw the culture clash.

I'm also not suggesting the Jets trot out playboy bunnies as cheerleaders and go into some culturally depraved look, but the Jets have always had a clean, fun look. From the real shoulder stripes of the 60's, the white shoes, to the uniqueness of the green helmet and that kelly green and white with oversized shoulder numerals, to the early days of their current look, before cuts and different green fabrics made them cringeworthy.

But interjecting the military theme into the Jets identity seems like overkill and out of the blue. Adding grey is what the Eagles already do. Nobody really likes the Celtics in grey or black, so kelly green and white could totally be owned by the Jets. Look at Winnipeg's new identity - with it's fighter jet logo, it seems a bit more formal and less fun than its own 60's style logo. 

Not all of sports have to be serious, and not everything has to salute the troops at every waking moment. There's a lot of rich visual imagery and history that can be drawn from instead of just stenciled letters and some mindless descriptions pandering to 'the troops'. Can we just have the Jets be a stupid, fun football team that just looks good on the field instead of looking like a bunch of drones with green stripes painted on them?

Archived