New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  The name was intended to refer to jet-setting, the romance of travel, speeding across the globe.

It’s a sign of how out of whack our society has become that so many now instantly jump to military jets.

Part of it (I think) is because commercial air travel is so common, whereas it was luxury in the 60s. A 737 is no big deal as its part of regular life, but fighter jets always have a bit more mystique. 

“Out of whack” is probably a bit harsh, IMO. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

46 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  The name was intended to refer to jet-setting, the romance of travel, speeding across the globe.

It’s a sign of how out of whack our society has become that so many now instantly jump to military jets.

BECAUSE FOOTBALL IS LITERALLY WAR!!!!!

Why else would we have teenagers dying on the field because practices are run like Seal Team Six training?

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

13 hours ago, Buc said:

Maybe it's somewhere between me being prior military and also having been a former ramp rat*--and definitely because I know the history--but I always find it funny how so many people instantly link/want to link a potential NY Jets brand identity to fighter jets. Might be worth mentioning that the reason the team is even named so in the first place was due to their move from the Polo Grounds to Shea Stadium and it's close proximity to LaGuardia airport...a commercial aviation facility (read: passenger jets--the original Jets logo even reflects this). It's one of those admittedly ticky-tack things that still grinds my gears for whatever reason. 

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand...

I'll be frank: I'm expecting something closer to the Snatit Titans' modernized...things rather than something tasteful and trim a la the Vikings. And I fully expect some hue of gray to show up in the colorway because Nike. (I also won't be shocked to see two-tone green... I've been seeing a lot of bright green in much of their marketing materials lately.) I hope I'm wrong, but...hey, I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

All speculation aside...I wanna revisit a line of thought cooked up by my man McCarthy, when he discussed the contract between the pre-2004 Cincinnati Bengals' look and their now-current ones:

That's the kind of difference I'm bracing for with this Jets update...

*For those who don't know, "ramp rat" is the colloquial reference to "ramp agents", those guys you see out on the tarmac with safety vests and knee pads and such loadinging the planes and driving all that ground equipment around the plane.

Not sure if this is still the case, but in recent years the in-stadium presentation has embraced more of the military-jet identity. Fighter jet models as they run out on the field, a Jets drum line wearing flight suits. 

New-York-Jets-Entryway-5.jpg

NYJ1-e1391318018867.jpg

If you don’t celebrate the military every day it means you hate it and don’t respect our soldiers and support terrorism, so of course they’d shift to more of a military jet identity. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, mmajeski06 said:

Not sure if this is still the case, but in recent years the in-stadium presentation has embraced more of the military-jet identity. Fighter jet models as they run out on the field, a Jets drum line wearing flight suits. 

NYJ1-e1391318018867.jpg

Well well...I did not know that. How long ago did they start doing that?

(And random off-topic question: are the Jets still "Long Island's team"? I rememeber from the time I spent up there it seemed the "city" teams were the Giants and Rangers in football and hockey, respectively, while it seemed the Jets and Islanders [well obviously] were more LI's.)

I suppose if they could find a way to tastefully meld the two together--that is, commerical jets + fighter jets--that might work. I'm thinking of the way in which the Indiana Pacers were (said to have been) named, as a combo of both stock car racing and horse racing--though I've yet to see that played out in any part of their brand identity. That kind of thing would definitely be a challenge, that's for sure. (But then, that's part of the fun and challenge of being a professional graphic designer...coming up with design solutions to these types of challenges, right? ?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I say this as a guy fascinated by planes of all sorts, and who will stop and stare for a moment pretty much whenever I see a plane flying... passenger jets aren't cool anymore. Fighter jets are cool; they are the muscle cars of aviation. Team brands don't have to be hyper-aggressive; they can be modern, traditional, kitschy, silly... but they should be cool somehow. If the Jets want to be something other than a 60s throwback team, it's going to be a fighter jet. If the Lions based their brand off being next to a Ford factory in 19dickety2, they would have used a sensible sedan then and a super car today.

BTW, my vote for unnecessary gray is Stealth Gray. Like an F-22 or F-35.

6 hours ago, mmajeski06 said:

NYJ1-e1391318018867.jpg

Been a Jets fan my entire life and I always associated them with the commercial Jets that flew over Shea

However those who live outside the tri state area may automatically think Jets and think air force bombers or something

As an aside I've seen these drum line things in a lot of stadiums. Saw them in Buffalo a few weeks ago for the Patriots/Bills game. Saw them in Chicago and Philly. I think it's just some kind of NFL initiative they forced upon the fanbases to pump up the gameday experience

I never knew the Jets name and identity was inspired by the Jet setting age, and I’m super bummed that the team is totally gonna lean into military stuff now.

I didn’t have an issue with the military imagery, but learning there was something more interesting to draw from that won’t be touched is deflating. I could see a modern 60s inspired Jets logo package in my head and that blows a fighter jet out of the water.

I think people automatically think of military fighter jets for 2 main reasons..

1: people don't typically call commercial jets "jets", they call them "airplanes".. Nowadays, when people hear the term "jet", it's usually in reference to a fighter jet. (This is probably the primary reason, imo)

2: the 80's-90's "Jets" script logo had the short, sleek, minimalist jet silhouette that suggests (at least to me) more of a fighter jet feel than commercial 747..

29 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I think people automatically think of military fighter jets for 2 main reasons..

1: people don't typically call commercial jets "jets", they call them "airplanes".. Nowadays, when people hear the term "jet", it's usually in reference to a fighter jet. (This is probably the primary reason, imo)

2: the 80's-90's "Jets" script logo had the short, sleek, minimalist jet silhouette that suggests (at least to me) more of a fighter jet feel than commercial 747..

1: good point.  I don't even think I've heard "airplane" in forever, just "plane".

2: see your point, but don't fully agree.  Fighter jets - at least the most commonly thought of - all have the "bubble" cockpit, which would be very noticeable in any silhouette.  I do agree that it's very sleek and minimalist, and doesn't necessarily depict a Airbus 320 or Boeing 767 or whatever was the thing back then.  It's just more of a generic plane that can be interpreted anyway you want.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, San Diego said:

Please no military. The NFL spreads too much propaganda as it is. 

Either say the pledge of allegiance right now, or get out of my country, your terrorist-supporting scumbag. 

/sarcasm

im not sure if i ever connected the dots from the franchise to jet setting and commercial air travel. honestly, that seems pretty lame. i mean, how do you even get any cooler than a fighter jet!? but, if they're going in a new direction (not simply throwing back to the 80s) then a new spin on a style like Futurism could still be an interesting creative direction with an emphasis on "speed" rather than "jet" (of any kind)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

12 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

im not sure if i ever connected the dots from the franchise to jet setting and commercial air travel. honestly, that seems pretty lame. i mean, how do you even get any cooler than a fighter jet!? but, if they're going in a new direction (not simply throwing back to the 80s) then a new spin on a style like Futurism could still be an interesting creative direction with an emphasis on "speed" rather than "jet" (of any kind)

You get old enough that “Top Gun” doesn’t seem so cool anymore, except maybe as a story of forbidden love between two young men in a world that can’t accept them. ? 

I swear, the homoerotic subtext is the only thing in that film that hasn’t aged poorly. 

The Jets could (and should) lean into a retro-futurism, go back to the birth of their franchise. Jets were glamourous then, not for themselves but for their global connections, their speed and their scope.  Better than feeding the nation’s boring military fetish.

On 11/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

As an aside I've seen these drum line things in a lot of stadiums. Saw them in Buffalo a few weeks ago for the Patriots/Bills game. Saw them in Chicago and Philly. I think it's just some kind of NFL initiative they forced upon the fanbases to pump up the gameday experience

Not sure if it's an NFL initiative as such, but I do know those gigs are contracted out such that a bunch of the same people end up working the drumline for like, the Giants and the Patriots and NYCFC. Or at least it was like that a few years back. I can't recall what the larger organization is called but some entertainment company basically cornered the market on pro sports gameday drum jams in the northeast.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

im not sure if i ever connected the dots from the franchise to jet setting and commercial air travel. honestly, that seems pretty lame.

It is hard to fathom now, but the speed, excitement, and glamor of the "jet age" was a real thing--people can travel around the country or the world flying higher, faster, farther than ever before.

38 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Not that I'm fond of the NFL's creepy nationalism cult either, but I think the last couple pages of this thread show that any perceived shift in the Jets' brand away from jet-setting was as much to do with wider shifts in culture/perception of air travel than just a kneejerk military thing. Nobody's had a positive thought about commercial air travel in decades. I'm told JFK and Laguardia were glamorous and luxurious at one point but that, needless to say, was several eras of New York Jets uniforms ago.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

48 minutes ago, Digby said:

Not that I'm fond of the NFL's creepy nationalism cult either, but I think the last couple pages of this thread show that any perceived shift in the Jets' brand away from jet-setting was as much to do with wider shifts in culture/perception of air travel than just a kneejerk military thing. Nobody's had a positive thought about commercial air travel in decades. I'm told JFK and Laguardia were glamorous and luxurious at one point but that, needless to say, was several eras of New York Jets uniforms ago.

The knee jerk militarism we’re currently suffering through is several decades old.  I was only kinda kidding that Top Gun was its originator.

But even if that wasn’t why they went away from their original inspiration, it’s clearly where they are now.  Which is a shame for multiple reasons. 

Archived