New York Jets unveil new uniforms

45 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I don't disagree, but i do think it would be a misstep to use an entirely-white inventory of helmets as the base shell for differently-colored paint (green, for instance), as any chipping during the season would be very noticable.. it would be more likely for them to get green shells, then paint them the exact shade/finish, so that any damage to the paint is less noticable...

Which brings me to my next point.. each of these helmets is tagged - not just generally, but specifically down to a certain player - which would suggest that the Jets intend on reissuing each of those current helmets to their designated players.. it seems, in my opinion of course, that it would not be the best idea for all of those factors to align due to the issues with paint chipping and scratching being so noticable.. although, as I stated previously, it's certainly possible

I agree. I mean some teams are notoriously cheap, but given the abuse that most nfl helmets take in a single season it would make the most sense to just completely refresh the stock in a new color.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, guest23 said:

I agree. I mean some teams are notoriously cheap, but given the abuse that most nfl helmets take in a single season it would make the most sense to just completely refresh the stock in a new color.

While that makes sense, it doesn't explain why the outgoing stock would be tagged and labeled so specifically.. 

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

Good catch.. definitely painted

The SpeedFlex is helpful in that department. You can easily tell it’s not painted when the stripes cover the front panel or if they have been cut to avoid overlapping. That said, the only NFL teams with painted stripes are the Bengals, Jets and Saints.

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

While that makes sense, it doesn't explain why the outgoing stock would be tagged and labeled so specifically.. 

That’s the real nugget here. All this reconditioning/do they/would they paint the shells, etc. talk is far too technical to be part of an unveiling narrative. My guess is one of these two things is happening:

1. The source images/descriptions that the leakers have seen/heard have been planted to mislead them and keep them off the scent, and the helmets will return, still white, but with new stripes and/or logos.

2. These tweets are designed to mislead the general fanbase into thinking that the helmet is staying white, setting them up to be blindsided by a green helmet or something.

If I had to put money on it, I’d guess number two, but at some point a brand or team is going to pull something to try and make leakers look like fools. It’s only a matter of time.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

50 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s the real nugget here. All this reconditioning/do they/would they paint the shells, etc. talk is far too technical to be part of an unveiling narrative. My guess is one of these two things is happening:

1. The source images/descriptions that the leakers have seen/heard have been planted to mislead them and keep them off the scent, and the helmets will return, still white, but with new stripes and/or logos.

2. These tweets are designed to mislead the general fanbase into thinking that the helmet is staying white, setting them up to be blindsided by a green helmet or something.

If I had to put money on it, I’d guess number two, but at some point a brand or team is going to pull something to try and make leakers look like fools. It’s only a matter of time.

Honestly, regardless of what color the new helmets will be, they would be sending these away at this time of year for one reason or another..

they could possibly have them tagged so that the folks at Riddell can take each helmet, find the size, obtain a new color shell of the same size, and put all of the same exact pads, hardware, and tag into the new shell so it returns to the same player who had that exact setup previously (sans shell).. 

Or (which I think may be the more likely situation) it's your number 1 scenario, where the "makeover" is perhaps a bit of green glitter flake in the white paint, a different color and/or style stripe, with new decals and possibly mask color for later as well.. (not necessarily trying to predict green glitter flake specifically, just suggesting it'll be a similar, yet different white shell, with striping, decals, and maybe facemasks being the only "real" change..)

16 hours ago, Brian E said:

jets just posted an 18-second video of the equipment staff packing up the helmets. for reference, it's below, though it doesn't show anything newsworthy. it does pique my interest in something though: if they were going to a different color shell, would they be "off to get a make over" (presumably a paint job), or would they re-manufacturer them? basically just wondering if this could be a clue at all to helmet color. forgive my ignorance, i really just don't know the process for football helmets. 

also a good time to try and ping @teal to see if he will shed some light on what color the helmet is ;)

My lips are sealed. 

Jaguars

10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

they're showing us the helmets are leaving and saying "out with the old" and "makeover". it would be very anti-climatic for them to come back with "in with the new" and the helmet is still white.

Not if those helmets come back with a new logo.  That would be climax enough. 

1 hour ago, Teal said:

My lips are sealed. 

This, again?

I understand that you’ve been frustrated by the negative reactions of other posters to your hints, but it’s just possible that bragging about your access with comments that are nothing more than “I have secret info but I’m not going to tell you” might be fueling those reactions. 

37 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

This, again?

I understand that you’ve been frustrated by the negative reactions of other posters to your hints, but it’s just possible that bragging about your access with comments that are nothing more than “I have secret info but I’m not going to tell you” might be fueling those reactions. 

A fellow poster asked if I can give info about the helmets. I can not. 

I simply answered the posters question. 

Jaguars

6 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Maybe the NFL doesn't want riddell to have decals of their brand.

Riddell sells authentic, replica, and mini NFL helmets. Riddell already has all the decals.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Teal said:

My lips are sealed. 

Just leave. For good. 

Regarding the helmets, while white would certainly be an option, I ageee with those that say they wouldn’t make such a big deal of sending them off unless they were coming back green. Even if they’re getting brand new physical helmets, the photo could be total nonsense that was staged just to cause this exact type of reaction. 

Id be surprised if it’s not “sport green” with black face mask. Ideally I’d like them to stay in white so if the Eagles were to ever change they’d be the only green-helmeted team, but since there’s no plan for the eagles to change anytime soon, it’s a moot point. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

37 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Just leave. For good. 

Regarding the helmets, while white would certainly be an option, I ageee with those that say they wouldn’t make such a big deal of sending them off unless they were coming back green. Even if they’re getting brand new physical helmets, the photo could be total nonsense that was staged just to cause this exact type of reaction. 

Id be surprised if it’s not “sport green” with black face mask. Ideally I’d like them to stay in white so if the Eagles were to ever change they’d be the only green-helmeted team, but since there’s no plan for the eagles to change anytime soon, it’s a moot point. 

You really are something else. 

Jaguars

Teal, how do you possibly not realize the many ways you rub people the wrong way? It's a baffling lack of self-awareness.

And as for this idea:

I feel like we've been through this whole process so much that it's safe to conclude teams don't deliberately plant fakes out there. There are two types of "leaks" (and I use that term loosely): completely fake ones made by fans or trolls, and legit ones. There is no third-category of team-created fakes.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not if those helmets come back with a new logo.  That would be climax enough. 

unless they're painting the logo i disagree. this is bigger than a logo change. forget about all the possibilities and look at the story they're trying to tell

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived