New York Jets unveil new uniforms

2 hours ago, Teal said:

A fellow poster asked if I can give info about the helmets. I can not. 

I simply answered the posters question. 

No. you didn't. If you had 'simply answered the poster's question', you would have responded with a quote. Instead, you were an ass and added nothing to the conversation.

Why am I wasting my time responding to someone I have set on 'ignore'????  Because I had to read this quoted post in someone else's post, and thus felt compelled to respond.  I'll echo BBTV.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are way overthinking this.  Facts:

1) every team does this. The helmets are sent off, paint stripped away, and repainted for next season.  The jets are not painting over their helmets. They are stripping away the paint and repainting them like every team does every year.

The helmets might take a beating during the season with paint scratches etc, but the shells are perfectly fine and will be reused next year.

2) The Jets are not misleading anyone, I promise you they aren't doing any misdirection or fake leaks.   They are simply using this video to tease the change for next year.

3) Do not expect a brand new logo for the Jets next year.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

27 minutes ago, insert name said:

A black facemask would look terrible. This was a bad helmet.

FF_732243ALT2_full.jpg&w=900

It was a great helmet in the 90s. Even better when they switched to the metallic finish in '96 or so. 

May not be a great helmet today.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I will remind everyone in this thread to refrain from trading snipes and gripes with other members.

That said, @Teal, you can also not take the bait. If you have nothing constructive that you can add or feel comfortable adding to a conversation, then there's no need to reply, especially with something that can be interpreted as unnecessarily provocative and only there to get a rise out of people. 'Tis better to remain silent and be thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt, as someone smarter than me once said. 

1 hour ago, goforbroke said:

You guys are way overthinking this.  Facts:

2) The Jets are not misleading anyone, I promise you they aren't doing any misdirection or fake leaks.   They are simply using this video to tease the change for next year.

Bingo.

While sitting in the waiting room, anticipating the arrival of my physician, I opted to go "Zapruder" on the New York Jets video. The only things that really jumped out at me were:

* Not all of the helmets seem to bear the individual off-white tags. Some do, some don't... at least not on the left-hand side of the helmet.

* The yellow Riddell tags (they're seen being attached to the tan equipment bags) bear two addresses. On one side is the address for a facility on Sugar Lane in Elyria, Ohio that Riddell vacated in 2017. On the other, printed onto a white label and affixed to the yellow tag, is the address of the Jets' Accounts Payable department in Florham, New Jersey. 

My gut instinct tells me that no specific individual detail regarding the Jets' uniform overhaul can be gleaned from this video. As goforbroke opined, it's a "tease".  It was created by the Marketing and Content/Media departments of the Jets with the express purpose of generating buzz for the uni design change. Nothing more, nothing less. 

12 hours ago, WavePunter said:

While that makes sense, it doesn't explain why the outgoing stock would be tagged and labeled so specifically.. 

Are all of the helmets "tagged and labeled so specifically"? I saw many in the video that didn't seem to bear the off-white tag at all. At least not positioned on the left-hand side of the helmet, as was the case with those that conspicuously did bear the tags.

28 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Bingo.

While sitting in the waiting room, anticipating the arrival of my physician, I opted to go "Zapruder" on the New York Jets video. The only things that really jumped out at me were:

* Not all of the helmets seem to bear the individual off-white tags. Some do, some don't... at least not on the left-hand side of the helmet.

* The yellow Riddell tags (they're seen being attached to the tan equipment bags) bear an address for a facility on Sugar Lane in Elyria, Ohio that Riddell vacated in 2017.

My gut instinct tells me that nothing of consequence regarding the Jets' uniform overhaul can be gleaned from this video. As goforbroke opined, it's a "tease".  It was created by the Marketing and Content/Media departments of the Jets with the express purpose of generating buzz for the uni design change. Nothing more, nothing less. 

There’s definitely nothing concrete or factual to learn from the video, but I definitely think they are setting someone up to be surprised. Whether that’s the people who already think they know the new helmet will be green or whether it’s the people who don’t pay much attention and will be surprised if the helmet isn’t white, well, that remains to be seen. Marketers are smart, and they don’t create and release content without a strategic goal in mind.

With that said, I’d be surprised is this was designed so that people have to pick apart the minutiae of the reconditioning process in order to figure out what’s going on. Personally, I think it’s a lot simpler than that. Occam’s razor, if you will. As WavePunter noted, I’d guess they set it up to look like the helmets are going out for routine reconditioning and the tagging is there so that the manufacturers can rebuild the helmets to spec with the new shells and masks. I’d guess the helmets in the video without tags just haven’t been tagged yet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

All teams, from pee-wee to the NFL, recondition their helmets on a yearly basis. Helmets are checked for damage in order to remove liability in the event an athlete suffers an injury the following season.  They are repainted as well.  There is nothing unusul about this.  Period.

11 hours ago, Newport said:

From what was said on the jets fan twitter account is that it’s the green color they’ve been using lately but more Kelly greenish.

I can't hear you. Maybe try all CAPS?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

There’s definitely nothing concrete or factual to learn from the video, but I definitely think they are setting someone up to be surprised. Whether that’s the people who already think they know the new helmet will be green or whether it’s the people who don’t pay much attention and will be surprised if the helmet isn’t white, well, that remains to be seen. Marketers are smart, and they don’t create and release content without a strategic goal in mind.

I think you might be giving the Jets and their contractors juuuuust a little bit too much credit here. 

Don't forget, this was their big in-stadium rollout for the concept of new uniforms:

😛 

5 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Bingo.

* The yellow Riddell tags (they're seen being attached to the tan equipment bags) bear two addresses. On one side is the address for a facility on Sugar Lane in Elyria, Ohio that Riddell vacated in 2017. On the other, printed onto a white label and affixed to the yellow tag, is the address of the Jets' Accounts Payable department in Florham, New Jersey. 

My gut instinct tells me that no specific individual detail regarding the Jets' uniform overhaul can be gleaned from this video. As goforbroke opined, it's a "tease".  It was created by the Marketing and Content/Media departments of the Jets with the express purpose of generating buzz for the uni design change. Nothing more, nothing less. 

I'd also add, this is something Army did before releasing this year's Army-Navy uniform. They started off with the truck, then the boxes and a few more teases here and there before the full reveal. Tennessee Titans did a similiar fake lede as well with the white helmets and fake uniform. The Jets have more time to kill and try to keep fans interested, expect more of their old gear getting"taken away" and then a bunch of tweets after the Combine.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I know this will probably never happen, but if the Jets were going to have a plane logo, I think I'd like to see the Jets switch to more Mad Men era/'60s commercial plane aesthetics (I think that hopefully gets the image across) instead of fighter jets/aggressive "pew pew" air force.

I think it was sort of alluded to earlier in this thread and brought up in the Bucs thread, that logos can have a more whimsical nature and I think the Jets could fit that whimisical mold. 

• They were named the Jets when they moved to Shea because they were close to LaGuardia
  • Their most famous player is this guyJoe-Namath-Marquee.jpg
  • They won their only Super Bowl during that time period (though I don't know if that's a selling point)
  • They play in New York. The big city that everybody wanted to move to in an attempt "make it big"

They can play up the romanticized early days of commercial flying, use a commercial plane and take some inspiration from old travel posters or something. 

IEI5Tg1.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I know this will probably never happen, but if the Jets were going to have a plane logo, I think I'd like to see the Jets switch to more Mad Men era/'60s commercial plane aesthetics (I think that hopefully gets the image across) instead of fighter jets/aggressive "pew pew" air force.

I think it was sort of alluded to earlier in this thread and brought up in the Bucs thread, that logos can have a more whimsical nature and I think the Jets could fit that whimisical mold. 

• They were named the Jets when they moved to Shea because they were close to LaGuardia
  • Their most famous player is this guyJoe-Namath-Marquee.jpg
  • They won their only Super Bowl during that time period (though I don't know if that's a selling point)
  • They play in New York. The big city that everybody wanted to move to in an attempt "make it big"

They can play up the romanticized early days of commercial flying, use a commercial plane and take some inspiration from old travel posters or something. 

If they go with an aggressive fighter jet look -- I'm now going to be calling it a "pew pew" look 😂

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, goforbroke said:

Depends what you mean by new.

Does Recolored, partial etc count as new?

I'm guessing from your post and the Loyal Jets Fan tweet that the new logo says JETS evenly in a football shape but it doesn't say NY and has black somewhere in there.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived