New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Um, yes? 

I mean it’s a message board. So I think that post accomplished all I thought it would. So...yay I guess. 

the problem is what it accomplished that perhaps you didnt want- but then again if youre a Jets fan, maybe you wanted that too. 

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

The Jets, historically, have a great look. It simply doesn’t fit today’s football uniform templates. That’s not Nike or Reebok’s “fault,” but rather a result of the evolution of the game. It happens.

The look can absolutely fit a modern template. The problem is how Nike executes the shoulder stripes.

4 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I’d argue otherwise. The original idea for the Jets were actually enlarged Northwestern stripes with a number in the middle stripe on a giant sleeve. Instead, they’ve morphed into UCLA stripes with a contrasting sleeve cap on today’s templates.

Assuming it's done well, the Jets can be a strong modern adaptation. The only stripe on the sleeves is a cuff stripe (I think it's still there) that can be cut without fundamentally changing the look. Meanwhile, teams like the Bears, Steelers and Packers are trying to shoehorn old-fashioned sleeve stripes onto today's cuts.

If anything, the Jets' look should be a better fit for today's templates than other classic designs.

28 minutes ago, ephoph said:

the problem is what it accomplished that perhaps you didnt want- but then again if youre a Jets fan, maybe you wanted that too. 

Now you're just being nonsensical. Literally, I don't know what you're trying to say. And no, I'm not a Jets fan.

16 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I’d argue otherwise. The original Jets uniforms actually featured enlarged Northwestern stripes with a number in the middle stripe on a giant sleeve. In the meantime, they’ve morphed into UCLA stripes with a contrasting sleeve cap. 

There are Nike templates that can make that striping pattern work. We see it in the NCAA all the time. Problem is that the team doesn't care enough to say "hey Nike, the template you're using for us looks like crap. Try using this other one instead."

38 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Sorry but I’d prefer the Nike template over almost any other. It looks much more intimidating and athletic than the old sleeve look. And while I’m at it. The striping pattern looked just fine and good on the current template 

I don't get this. How does a template look "intimidating"? A template is, ultimately, just one way to construct a jersey. It's literally fabric and stitching arranged in a certain pattern. On it's own it's nothing- that's why it's called a template. It's for teams to fill in with their own colours and designs.

"More athletic" I get, kind of. Even then though....I never thought NFL players from the 1990s through the mid 2010s looked "unauthentic" because they weren't wearing form-fitting jerseys made of space age fabrics that somehow can't be made in green.

51 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

This is just too good.

And yes. I like good design regardless of the team ;)

no need to take us on the scenic route of your dbaggery; the how and the why doesnt matter.  I mean some people even like Trump and want to argue it. 

In any event, Jets getting new uniforms and retiring this 'good design',  your masturbation over templates and Nike vs Starter vs Osh Kosh B'Gosh notwithstanding.

19 minutes ago, ephoph said:

no need to take us on the scenic route of your dbaggery

You need to realize that someone liking something you don't doesn't make them a "dbag."

In any event, Jets getting new uniforms and retiring this 'good design',  your masturbation over templates and Nike vs Starter vs Osh Kosh B'Gosh notwithstanding.

I'm still not sure what they hell you're trying to say.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't get this. How does a template look "intimidating"? A template is, ultimately, just one way to construct a jersey. It's literally fabric and stitching arranged in a certain pattern. On it's own it's nothing- that's why it's called a template. It's for teams to fill in with their own colours and designs.

"More athletic" I get, kind of. Even then though....I never thought NFL players from the 1990s through the mid 2010s looked "unauthentic" because they weren't wearing form-fitting jerseys made of space age fabrics that somehow can't be made in green.

Imo, tight form fitting clothes and short sleeves and all that is so much more athletic and fitting for a football team. A baggy long sleeve uniform screams unathletic. Imo. I would prefer the current way of stripes and sleeves then they were before. I can see the “unauthentic” and “space age” but as someone who’s grown up mainly watching the short sleeved Reebok and Nike templates it’s normal and what seems right. Someone who might’ve grown up in other times might not. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Excuse the rough drafts, but here's the current uniform, which has morphed into UCLA stripes with a contrasting sleeve cap:

ch8u43M.jpg

More accurate representation of enlarged Northwestern stripes on current template:

JOW4A3H.jpg

Typical Northwestern stripes, shoehorned to fit current template: 

V8tf4X4.jpg

In my opinion, both concepts are better than what is currently constructed and a better representation of what was originally intended, but neither accurately replicates the original look.

Archived