New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

The Jets, historically, have a great look. It simply doesn’t fit today’s football uniform templates. That’s not Nike or Reebok’s “fault,” but rather a result of the evolution of the game. It happens.

Maybe.  Or maybe the client could simply ask the manufacturer to try harder...

ncaa-football-california-at-ucla-a95a7e5

4 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I hear ticking...

This is now my favorite thread.

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Maybe.  Or maybe the client could simply ask the manufacturer to try harder...

ncaa-football-california-at-ucla-a95a7e5

I know this isn't conducive to your argument, but those stripes are actually within the realm of possibility of UA's template. We can blame Adidas for messing with that look, but UA didn't have to do anything special to make those stripes work, that's just how the template is built.

Also, for my 2 cents worth, the Jets have a perfectly fine look right now. I suppose it's because I've grown up with it, but weird striping issues from both Reebok and Nike, as well as the drab, more military green from the nike set look like The Jets, no matter how good or bad they objectively are(uniforms or the team. You have a guy like Mark Sanchez and a 10-6 Fitzmagic, that's who you are in the collective conscience). The alternatives are as follows:

- the 80's/90's set, which really gives off the feel of "generic football striping, but on the edge because it has black trim"

-do something wack with the stripes to either make them UCLA/Colts, or northwestern stripes

-remove stripes but keep the different colored sleeve caps

That leaves us with, count em, zero decent options. Nike better have something genuinely interesting coming up beyond "It's KELLY GREEN, we're SO goddamn innovative by CHANGING the COLOR of an ESTABLISHED IDENTITY!!!!111!!!1!!1!!!" or bringing back (an admittedly cool) old wordmark but lackluster uniforms to go with them

5 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

I know this isn't conducive to your argument, but those stripes are actually within the realm of possibility of UA's template. We can blame Adidas for messing with that look, but UA didn't have to do anything special to make those stripes work, that's just how the template is built.

I think that IS conductive to my argument.  The UCLA set proves that a modern, non-loose, sleeve-capped jersey can have perfectly serviceable shoulder stripes, if that's what the team insists on and what the manufacturer is willing to do for them. It seems pretty clear to me that in a normal client/vendor relationship, if the client comes to the vendor with a design, it's the vendor's job to alter what they do to fit the needs of the client, not the other way around. But the Jets obviously never cared enough, and Nike is obviously too interested in their proprietary templates to do a little extra work. Frustrating.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I think that IS conductive to my argument.  The UCLA set proves that a modern, non-loose, sleeve-capped jersey can have perfectly serviceable shoulder stripes, if that's what the team insists on and what the manufacturer is willing to do for them. It seems pretty clear to me that in a normal client/vendor relationship, if the client comes to the vendor with a design, it's the vendor's job to alter what they do to fit the needs of the client, not the other way around. But the Jets obviously never cared enough, and Nike is obviously too interested in their proprietary templates to do a little extra work. Frustrating.

Okay so I mean you are right on all accounts, but I suppose what I meant is that there are more apt examples of crazier :censored: being done to fit with whatever the client wants (i.e. the Browns and Seahawks, as well as the broncos, bengals as far as templating goes, and the eagles as far as the colors go). What I meant was the UCLA example isn’t necessarily the best case you could make for the supplier giving the consumer what they want. For UA, those types of shoulder stripes wouldn’t be out of place with the rest of their other schools template-wise, and there are better ways to show what you mean by using more off-the-wall elements within the same league as the Jets, even if that purpose is to extend some shoulder stripes down a little further.

13 hours ago, ephoph said:

Not a Jets fan but like those uniforms?

even douchier than youre trying to be.

Please note that you’re taking passive aggressive snipes at a moderator.

Please also note that another moderator is telling you to knock it off.

VmWIn6B.png

To this very day I argue there was a very simple fix to the nike jets striping issue. change the three shoulder stripes from white-green-white to green-white-green. You still get the illusion of the stripe separated from the shoulder cap but you no longer have the weird armpit notch. 

3 minutes ago, KouPilot said:

To this very day I argue there was a very simple fix to the nike jets striping issue. change the three shoulder stripes from white-green-white to green-white-green. You still get the illusion of the stripe separated from the shoulder cap but you no longer have the weird armpit notch. 

Literally all they needed to do (and the opposite for the white set) to fix the jerseys.

4 hours ago, KouPilot said:

Or you can change it to two shoulder stripes of white-green.

29 minutes ago, IceBurgs70 said:

If the Jets can somehow figure out how to modernize their 80's set without including black then I think they'd have a winner.  Something along the lines of what the Vikings and Dolphins have done with their 2013 changes.

They had a version of the 80's set minus the black:

1987_NYJets.png

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived