New York Jets unveil new uniforms

24 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

How is it that amateur graphic designers can seem to design better uniforms than 16-billion dollar Nike? Maybe the NFL should just hire us

Reminds me of the story of when NBC paid a million dollars to design a new logo only to find out a Nebraska TV station already had the same exact logo. 

XM4KeeA.png

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

How is it that amateur graphic designers can seem to design better uniforms than 16-billion dollar Nike? Maybe the NFL should just hire us

Because the clients don't know what they need better than we do.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

Idk if we should compare football helmet logos with baseball cap logos. The Dodgers' LA cap logo is iconic, but that doesn't mean the Rams and Chargers both need "LA" on their helmets. 

You’re also talking about two of the most iconic football helmet designs of all time, each with well over a half century of equity. It would be brand suicide to depart from horns or bolts.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

33 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

You’re also talking about two of the most iconic football helmet designs of all time, each with well over a half century of equity. It would be brand suicide to depart from horns or bolts.

The point here is that they don't need "LA" on their football helmets. Football helmet logos and baseball cap logos are two different things. 

1 minute ago, daveindc said:

The point here is that they don't need "LA" on their football helmets. Football helmet logos and baseball cap logos are two different things. 

If a Los Angeles football team had LA on their helmet since the 50s and 60s I bet just ab everyone on this site would say it would be just as recognizable as the Dodgers 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Just now, daveindc said:

I get it, but I think your argument hinges on how great the designs of those two teams’ helmets are. Imagine Chicago with the bear logo on their helmet or San Francisco with a pick axe or prospector or something. If you’re repping an iconic city, it’s stupid not to capitalize on it, unless you have a truly iconic design going for you (or if you move all the time like the Rams 🙂).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Bc amateur designers don't have to answer to old people in suits. 

Kelly green and silver(ala the Raiders) for the Jets. Pure and simple. I think the reference to thinking it might a reminder of the Eagles has long since past. The Eagles are hunter green, blaclk and a touch of gray. Not that I like it but those unis will always be referenced because they won the Super Bowl in it.

9 minutes ago, joekono said:

Kelly green and silver(ala the Raiders) for the Jets. Pure and simple. I think the reference to thinking it might a reminder of the Eagles has long since past.

No thanks. The Jets don't need to be a reminder of a different franchise, and the Jets don't need silver. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

No thanks. The Jets don't need to be a reminder of a different franchise, and the Jets don't need silver. 

I want the Eagles to go back to that.  But it’s so nice, I would take the Jets over nobody.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Because amateur graphic designers don’t get a brief from the team. They don’t have to answer to an art director, let alone a creative director who may be completely removed from the project. They don’t have to work with a separate uniform design team. They don’t have to compete with other designers on their own team who are also trying to get their work on the field. They don’t have to build a presentation deck explaining their thought process (props to those who do, of course). They don’t have to present their work to league marketing officials or game operations staff. They don’t have to present their work to the team’s marketing executives, merchandising team, equipment manager, front office executives, presidents, CEOs, or owners. They don’t have to revise their work based on the opinions of any of those dozens of people previously mentioned. They don’t have to revise their work again. Or again. Or again. They don’t have to design within any sort of cost or margin constraint. They don’t have to spec measurements, colors, materials, or embellishments, nor do they have to have any of those things individually developed and cost-quoted for manufacturing. They don’t have to go through the process of physically sampling the product and revising it based on their own evaluation or that of any of those dozens of people previously mentioned. They don’t have to rely on a catalog with a TBD image and a team of salespeople to convince retailers to buy hundreds or even thousands of their bread-and-butter item sight unseen. They don’t have to do it for 8-12 teams and/or events every season (not to mention 60+ uniforms in a switchover year). They don’t have to stay motivated after they work for weeks or months on a project and the team responds with, “No, thanks!” They don’t have to grapple with the fact that 95% of the work they do is essentially a waste and wonder where their life and career went after a few decades of grinding...

I’d say that covers the main reasons. 🙂

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not sure what this proves. One football helmet logo that happens to look similar to one baseball cap logo. And?

Letters on football helmets are not the norm the same way it is on baseball caps. The Giants use letters, but the Jets don't need it. 

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I get it, but I think your argument hinges on how great the designs of those two teams’ helmets are. Imagine Chicago with the bear logo on their helmet or San Francisco with a pick axe or prospector or something. If you’re repping an iconic city, it’s stupid not to capitalize on it, unless you have a truly iconic design going for you (or if you move all the time like the Rams 🙂).

But your argument is based how crappy logos would look on the Bears' and 49ers' helmets. Letters was just the best choice for them back then.

Tbh, it's a shame a team called the Bears is stuck with a boring C logo, because a bear logo would be much easier to design today. Boring letters should be left to teams with names like the Packers.

Imagine the Eagles helmet with a P logo or the Skins helmet with a W logo. Philly and Washington, DC are "iconic", but those teams didn't choose letters.

I've seen a lot of "iconic city > team name" in this thread and, IMO, it's complete BS. They're not the "New York Football Team" or the "New York New Yorkers," they're the New York Jets. Yeah they play in represent New York, one of the most iconic cities in the world, but they have a nickname with the potential to have a really cool brand built around it. I'm not saying they should ignore the "New York" portion of their name, but a logo that actually has a decent jet image in it would be much better than the plain NY logo. Even the NY with some sort of jet silhouette calling back to the 80s logo wouldn't be that hard.

And can we stop comparing them to the Giants, Yankees, and Mets? Yeah, all those teams are New York too, and all three of them have iconic NY logos, but think about their mascots. All three are sort of abstract references to New York and hard to really represent with a logo. Jets, on the other hand? Not unique to New York and very easy to represent using an actual logo. 

Archived