Funny stadium names?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, M4One said:

Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim.

Opposed to Arrowhead Stadium of Chiefs? 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

9 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Opposed to Arrowhead Stadium of Chiefs? 

Not many stadiums named Pond, are there?  Honestly, I didn't even know Arrowhead was a sponsored name for the longest time.

I don't know if you know, but what is now called the Honda Center,  is home to the Anaheim Ducks.

11 minutes ago, M4One said:

Not many stadiums named Pond, are there?  Honestly, I didn't even know Arrowhead was a sponsored name for the longest time.

I don't know if you know, but what is now called the Honda Center,  is home to the Anaheim Ducks.

I always knew it was a sponsored name, but I was always okay with it because ducks swim in ponds. So it felt like something that was a little less "obviously corporate." My favorite corporate named stadium has always been the Great Western Forum, because again, it just sounds like an actual name someone would apply to something. And that's one that I didn't even know was corporate named until years after the Lakers had moved out.

15 hours ago, Quillz said:

I always knew it was a sponsored name, but I was always okay with it because ducks swim in ponds. So it felt like something that was a little less "obviously corporate." My favorite corporate named stadium has always been the Great Western Forum, because again, it just sounds like an actual name someone would apply to something. And that's one that I didn't even know was corporate named until years after the Lakers had moved out.

Busch Stadium (all of them) with the Cardinals is similar. Yes, it's corporate, but Anheiser-Busch has been a community staple in STL for generations. At this point, it feels less like a sponsored name and more like Fenway or Yankee Stadium. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

16 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Busch Stadium (all of them) with the Cardinals is similar. Yes, it's corporate, but Anheiser-Busch has been a community staple in STL for generations. At this point, it feels less like a sponsored name and more like Fenway or Yankee Stadium. 

There are just some corporate names that naturally sound better than others. That's one of them. But if it was something like Bud Light Stadium, ugh.

In this era of corporate naming rights, there are a buttload of goofy stadium names. Wears a little thin after awhile but the uniquely funny ones are still enjoyable. "Cow Palace" sounds like something from a Far Side strip.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

There are just some corporate names that naturally sound better than others. That's one of them. But if it was something like Bud Light Stadium, ugh.

Bud Light Lime-a-Rita Stadium

ci-bud-light-lime-lime-a-rita-b9c20f5877

UyDgMWP.jpg

On 4/6/2019 at 4:51 PM, lbj273 said:

I always found Mall of America Field at the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome to be funny purely based on how much of a mouthful it was

Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at Joe Jamail Field doesn't even result to corporate sponsorship but still winds up as a mouthful.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:51 AM, Denver_The_Sinaloa said:

in 2011 the Sacramento Kings played in the PowerBalance Pavilion. PowerBalance went into bankruptcy the next year. I guess they couldn’t balance that power. 

But, what's worse ... PowerBalance Pavilion or SleepTrain Arena?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, kimball said:

But, what's worse ... PowerBalance Pavilion or SleepTrain Arena?

Sleep Train name didn't bother me because here in the area Sleep Train is a local mattress place that has always gotten advertisement on TV and Radio. It just seemed to make sense that the Kings had an arena named that.

35 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

Me and the other immature kids at my elementary/high school always found this one pretty funny. Political correctness aside, Bridgestone Arena is a much better name.

I remember WWE always went there in the Attitude Era. My 10 year old self found the name hilarious.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

Coming up in dumb arena names...

Rocket Mortgage isn't any worse than Quicken Loans. But why Field house? Because you use mortgages to buy houses? To me Fieldhouse should either be reserved for a historic arena or a retro inspired arena (Bankers Life Field house). The Q is neither.

Archived