Shumway

The Ballpark Thread

I don't think we have a thread like this currently (I found one that's locked), but if we do, by all means, this can be merged or deleted. Anyway, I figured we could have a thread to discuss ballparks. I was going to open up one for the one I'm visiting specifically, but I think an overall thread would be helpful for those of us who check out different stadiums.

So, I'm headed to Nationals Park next weekend for the first time. I'll be likely walking/ubering to the stadium from my hotel, so I'm not concerned about traffic, but I am curious as to what's around Nationals Park to eat/drink before the game, or any things I need to check out in the stadium. I've been to DC a few years ago, but I'm not at all familiar with what's in that part of town.

In what's surrounded by new and upcoming condominiums to the North of the ballpark, we ate at a place called "The Big Stick". They had a pretty appetizing menu, but I only got their cheese curds (which were good btw). It normally always looks crowded, but the one time we went it was pretty tame.

Inside the ballpark itself, I recommend Ben's Chili Bowl if you're wanting something that isn't your typical ballpark food. And do checkout the walkway ramps around the northwest and southwest areas of the ballpark; it provides a good view of the waterfront and the Washington Monument in the distance.

Bringing this thread back up.

I'm going to Pittsburgh from the 19th to the 20th, won't be there too long, but am going to a Tigers-Pirates game. I've never been to PNC Park so is there anything in the area worth checking out?

12 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I'm going to Pittsburgh from the 19th to the 20th, won't be there too long, but am going to a Tigers-Pirates game. I've never been to PNC Park so is there anything in the area worth checking out?

Tons of stuff to see and do in Pittsburgh! Are you staying near PNC Park?

My goal is to see all MLB teams play a game in their home ballparks.  I have seen 5 teams at home in 7 ballparks in my life, in chronological order:

- Tiger Stadium (a few visits, early 90s)

- Tropicana Field (multiple times, first in 1998)

- Minute Maid Park, then Astros Field (2002)

- Comerica Park (2003 and 2010)

- Sun Life Stadium (2011)

- Marlins Park (2012)

- Progressive Field (2017)

Overall, at the time of this post, my favorite is Progressive Field.  It's amazing how intimate the ballpark feels,  I'm used to more of a sloped stadium, but this one really stacks the seating levels just right.

I dont recall my visits to Tiger Stadium that much because i was 5-7 years old...and I'll probably go back to Minute Maid for a refresh as an adult and not a high schooler.

15 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I'm by no means an expert on Pittsburgh, but I'll throw out a few suggestions, mostly regarding food

1. PNC Park is gorgeous, as is the surrounding area around Heinz Field etc. I'll admit that I've never seen a game at PNC (I've been to Pirates games at Three Rivers a few times), but I got to walk around the stadium for a while before a Pitt football game.

2. I'll always suggest Fathead's in the South Side for a place to eat and drink. It's been a while since I've been there, but it was always my favorite place to eat at when I visited the city. I'm sure locals will tell you more interesting (and probably less touristy) places to go to, but for beer and a really big sandwich, Fatheads is great.

3. If you're anywhere near Pitt's campus (Oakland), check out Fuel & Fuddle. Well, if you're in the mood for an incredible Meatloaf & Mashed Potato sandwich, that is. I've only eaten it once sober, but it was just as good as the number of times I had it not-sober :D

On 4/8/2019 at 8:12 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

In what's surrounded by new and upcoming condominiums to the North of the ballpark, we ate at a place called "The Big Stick". They had a pretty appetizing menu, but I only got their cheese curds (which were good btw). It normally always looks crowded, but the one time we went it was pretty tame.

Inside the ballpark itself, I recommend Ben's Chili Bowl if you're wanting something that isn't your typical ballpark food. And do checkout the walkway ramps around the northwest and southwest areas of the ballpark; it provides a good view of the waterfront and the Washington Monument in the distance.

I completely forgot to recap my trip to DC....

- We ate at the Gordon Biersch Brewery near the stadium. I had no idea it was a chain, but my food and beer were good. There were plenty of restaurants and bars right around the stadium. Some of them I believe are chains, similar to a Chipotle as far as being not quite fast food. We ate at a Roti (mediterranean food) after the 2nd game, which I never heard of, but is a chain. It was pretty solid.

- Ben's Chili Bowl was really good at the stadium.

- Loved Nationals Park. It reminds me a lot of Citizens Bank Park (where I go pretty regularly), but much more open in the concourse and cleaner in general.

- I really enjoyed the use of old school hip hop instrumentals between plays. Seriously, I loved it.

- Howie Kendrick hit a game winning homerun, so that's a plus (I'm likely the only person on the planet with both a Phillies and a Nats Kendrick t-shirt).

And, since I was just there last night, Baltimore:

- Camden Yards will likely forever be my favorite ballpark. I go at least a few times a year (so far 3 times this season).

- They added a "market" inside the stadium, where you can pick your own beers out of a fridge, and I think they have sandwiches and other things in there. I kept getting Steady Eddie (a beer with Eddie Murray on it). I liked the can.

wx4na6mhbbw21.jpg

- Before the game, the bars across the street (Sliders and Pickles) are alright, although I'll admit it's better to hang outside rather than go inside. They're kind of crappy inside, and it's about a thousand degrees in there.

15 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

1. If by "area", you mean Pittsburgh itself, there's LOTS to check out. I was there last year Memorial Day weekend; here's a brief list of things I did on the basis of fellow posters' advice. 

2. If by "area" you mean the immediate area surrounding the stadium, there is a nice walkway along the river;  Heinz Field is just a block away so you can check that out, and if you are artistically inclined, just a couple of short blocks in the other direction is the Andy Warhol Museum.  If you go to a night game, the Warhol Museum has half-price admission after 5 pm; you can easily do the museum in an hour and still get to the game with plenty of time to allow walking around.

3. PNC Park has Pittsburgh's famous Primanti Bros. sandwiches inside, so you can try one there. 

4. Parking: I am notoriously cheap when it comes to parking, and will walk a bit to save parking $ for drinking $.  I parked my rental car about 1/3 mile, 4 blocks from the NE corner of the ballpark, on the north side of I-279 on the street for about a buck-- paid meter parking there only lasted till 6 PM. 

Used to think that Globe Life Park was amazing and better than anyone else’s. This was before I had seen other parks. Now I realize it’s not that great. But it still has some perks, home run fireworks, good food, and great fans. Just doesn’t have that wow factor like others.

Recently tried to see a game at Busch, but had to stay inside because of a rain delay and then cancelation.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Camden Yards. Go. 

"Go" as in you're directing us to go because it's such an awesome experience . . .

. . . or "Go" as in "Please provide insight regarding Camden Yards"?

9 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Tons of stuff to see and do in Pittsburgh! Are you staying near PNC Park?

We'll be around the University of Pittsburgh, close to West Oakland.

5 hours ago, Shumway said:

I'm by no means an expert on Pittsburgh, but I'll throw out a few suggestions, mostly regarding food

1. PNC Park is gorgeous, as is the surrounding area around Heinz Field etc. I'll admit that I've never seen a game at PNC (I've been to Pirates games at Three Rivers a few times), but I got to walk around the stadium for a while before a Pitt football game.

2. I'll always suggest Fathead's in the South Side for a place to eat and drink. It's been a while since I've been there, but it was always my favorite place to eat at when I visited the city. I'm sure locals will tell you more interesting (and probably less touristy) places to go to, but for beer and a really big sandwich, Fatheads is great.

3. If you're anywhere near Pitt's campus (Oakland), check out Fuel & Fuddle. Well, if you're in the mood for an incredible Meatloaf & Mashed Potato sandwich, that is. I've only eaten it once sober, but it was just as good as the number of times I had it not-sober :D

Those sound good! Especially a Meatloaf & Mashed Potato sandwich...? That alone entices me.

And glad to see you enjoyed Nationals Park. I sometimes here folks bashing it for being "generic concrete", but it's got much to offer.

5 hours ago, B-Rich said:

1. If by "area", you mean Pittsburgh itself, there's LOTS to check out. I was there last year Memorial Day weekend; here's a brief list of things I did on the basis of fellow posters' advice. 

2. If by "area" you mean the immediate area surrounding the stadium, there is a nice walkway along the river;  Heinz Field is just a block away so you can check that out, and if you are artistically inclined, just a couple of short blocks in the other direction is the Andy Warhol Museum.  If you go to a night game, the Warhol Museum has half-price admission after 5 pm; you can easily do the museum in an hour and still get to the game with plenty of time to allow walking around.

3. PNC Park has Pittsburgh's famous Primanti Bros. sandwiches inside, so you can try one there. 

4. Parking: I am notoriously cheap when it comes to parking, and will walk a bit to save parking $ for drinking $.  I parked my rental car about 1/3 mile, 4 blocks from the NE corner of the ballpark, on the north side of I-279 on the street for about a buck-- paid meter parking there only lasted till 6 PM. 

While we won't be staying downtown, I definitely plan on checking out the riverfront. That is something I will not leave without doing. And yeah, a good amount of these places are walking distance from each other, which will make things super convenient.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

"Go" as in you're directing us to go because it's such an awesome experience . . .

. . . or "Go" as in "Please provide insight regarding Camden Yards"?

The latter.  Looks like it's only $7 for Greyhound tix down there, so a small group of us are going to go for a night and see Toronto vs Baltimore.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The latter.  Looks like it's only $7 for Greyhound tix down there, so a small group of us are going to go for a night and see Toronto vs Baltimore.

Gorgeous park, like everyone says. Really homey feel which is nice. I went once this year so far and didn’t really get anything noteworthy inside the stadium. If you want an authentic Bawlmer experience I suggest Boog’s BBQ, getting barbecue from a stand headed up by a Baltimore and indeed, baseball legend is pretty neat. Very tasty but a bit pricey. They also have crab fries, which are waffle fries with crab dip on them. IMO they’re not great and you can get better crab dip on top of better stuff all around Baltimore. If you want something cheaper there are stands outside that sell $6 sausages. You can bring in outside food and drink which is a huge plus. 

Legends Park (the area with the statues) is cool and definitely worth a look. The spot near it where you can stand and see the game is very neat. Overall, it’s a fantastic atmosphere and experience, as long as you don’t expect to watch good baseball from the home team. 

(Leopard and Shumway and any other frequent Camden-ites can feel free to fill in anything I missed)

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Camden Yards isn't the flashiest/modern place to see a game, but it's definitely a great place to see one. It's pretty basic, honestly. The warehouse has a decent bar (Dempsey's) and the team store, and Eutaw Street (where the warehouse is) has a nice standing area and Boog's BBQ that Crabcake mentioned. I can't remember if I've had that, or if I'm confusing it with Bull's BBQ at CBP. Crabcake also mentioned the crab fries, but I'll admit that I like Chickie's more. I know they're famous for a softshell crab sandwich, but I've never had it. Tickets are generally pretty cheap, too. I was in the 5th row, 3rd baseline last night for maybe $40.

Are you staying in Baltimore overnight? I've stayed at the same hotel a bunch of times (including last night) and can't complain. It's a very short walk from the stadium, has parking, and pretty affordable.

I highly doubt you'll be wearing Toronto gear (Thanks, Joe Carter) but Baltimore fans are very easy going. Nobody said a word to me about my Vlad Jr. shirt or the billion times I've worn Angels gear.

No hotel, probably an ABnB.  It's been a while since I've been down there, and back then the only place that I knew of to go out was Fells Point, but I'm sure there's better, and wherever that is will be where we get a place.

10 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Gorgeous park, like everyone says. Really homey feel which is nice. I went once this year so far and didn’t really get anything noteworthy inside the stadium. If you want an authentic Bawlmer experience I suggest Boog’s BBQ, getting barbecue from a stand headed up by a Baltimore and indeed, baseball legend is pretty neat. Very tasty but a bit pricey. They also have crab fries, which are waffle fries with crab dip on them. IMO they’re not great and you can get better crab dip on top of better stuff all around Baltimore. If you want something cheaper there are stands outside that sell $6 sausages. You can bring in outside food and drink which is a huge plus. 

Legends Park (the area with the statues) is cool and definitely worth a look. The spot near it where you can stand and see the game is very neat. Overall, it’s a fantastic atmosphere and experience, as long as you don’t expect to watch good baseball from the home team. 

(Leopard and Shumway and any other frequent Camden-ites can feel free to fill in anything I missed)

9 hours ago, Shumway said:

Camden Yards isn't the flashiest/modern place to see a game, but it's definitely a great place to see one. It's pretty basic, honestly. The warehouse has a decent bar (Dempsey's) and the team store, and Eutaw Street (where the warehouse is) has a nice standing area and Boog's BBQ that Crabcake mentioned. I can't remember if I've had that, or if I'm confusing it with Bull's BBQ at CBP. Crabcake also mentioned the crab fries, but I'll admit that I like Chickie's more. I know they're famous for a softshell crab sandwich, but I've never had it. Tickets are generally pretty cheap, too. I was in the 5th row, 3rd baseline last night for maybe $40.

Are you staying in Baltimore overnight? I've stayed at the same hotel a bunch of times (including last night) and can't complain. It's a very short walk from the stadium, has parking, and pretty affordable.

I highly doubt you'll be wearing Toronto gear (Thanks, Joe Carter) but Baltimore fans are very easy going. Nobody said a word to me about my Vlad Jr. shirt or the billion times I've worn Angels gear.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No hotel, probably an ABnB.  It's been a while since I've been down there, and back then the only place that I knew of to go out was Fells Point, but I'm sure there's better, and wherever that is will be where we get a place.

I don't have much to add to this

Beyond the standing rooms areas near Legends Park and on Eutaw Street, the bar over the batter's eye in centerfield looks like a good place to hang out for a while.  I haven't been to a game since it opened when I wasn't with at least one of my kids, so I don't have any personal experience.

In terms of neighborhoods, Canton and Federal Hill are also good places to hangout.  Federal Hill provides the advantage of being within reasonable walking distance to Camden Yards.