The Ballpark Thread

Shumway

17 hours ago, Gobbi said:

Thought I’d revive this thread...

I’ll be going to the Angels home opener in April which will be ballpark 11/30 for me. Not bad for a guy from northern BC! :flagcanada:

I collect an ice cream helmet from every ballpark I go to but I’m curious to hear if you guys have any must-eats at Angel Stadium you’d recommend or any tips in general. Reviews and food guides don’t seem to be as prevalent compared to other parks I’ve visited. 

I've never been there (although it finally might happen this season), but I've seen multiple people bring up helmet nachos on an Angels reddit. I feel like you almost have to get them in order to add to your collection.

angels-stadium-helmet-nachos.jpeg

19 hours ago, Gobbi said:

I’ll be going to the Angels home opener in April which will be ballpark 11/30 for me. Not bad for a guy from northern BC! :flagcanada:

I collect an ice cream helmet from every ballpark I go to but I’m curious to hear if you guys have any must-eats at Angel Stadium you’d recommend or any tips in general. Reviews and food guides don’t seem to be as prevalent compared to other parks I’ve visited. 

I enjoyed their treatment outside the park of their history.  They have a brick-laid diamond in front of the Big A. At each position they have bricks engraved of every Angel to have started a season (or home, not sure which) opener.

I thought the park was non-descript, but had good sightlines from most places. Slow service when I was there.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Shumway said:

I've never been there (although it finally might happen this season), but I've seen multiple people bring up helmet nachos on an Angels reddit. I feel like you almost have to get them in order to add to your collection.

angels-stadium-helmet-nachos.jpeg

That looks right up my alley, thanks!

52 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I enjoyed their treatment outside the park of their history.  They have a brick-laid diamond in front of the Big A. At each position they have bricks engraved of every Angel to have started a season (or home, not sure which) opener.

I thought the park was non-descript, but had good sightlines from most places. Slow service when I was there.

That’s a neat touch and something I would’ve likely walked right by in a crowd had I not known about it. Appreciate the info! Glad to hear about the sightlines... I was surprised there was no virtual venue where I could check out the view from potential seats. Had to make a purchase without my usual double, triple, and quadruple check. 

On 2/19/2020 at 1:56 AM, Gobbi said:

I was there in 2017 and I don't recall the food.  But I got the best walk-up value I'd had in a while when I was there.  Looking at the seating chart, I think it was either Club Loge or Club All Star...was able to move about the concurse freely...think it was about 50 bucks (which at Dodger Stadium a few days prior got me much lesser seats).

I've been to 31 MLB parks, which obviously includes defunct parks.  So I am missing several current parks (Toronto, St. L, Miami, Tampa, Cincy, Houston, the about-to-open Arlington, Houston, Arizona).

Going opening weekend to St. Louis, which definitely tops my list of yet-to-see MLB parks.

Random tidbits:

• I've seen the Twins play the Brewers in five ballparks...made it to Metropolitan Stadium in 1981 just before the Metrodome and they happened to be playing the Brewers.
  • Sucker for the classics.  Fenway is my #1 and Wrigley is my #2.  Also a big fan of Dodger Stadium and miss Milwaukee County Stadium.  I really enjoyed by 2007 visit to Oakland...I would not want that as my home ballpark but it was fun being in a utilitarian hunk of concrete for a game.
  • Favorite modern ballparks: Pittsburgh and San Francisco.  A lot of the others sort of blend together.
  • #1 ballpark I never made it to and wish I had: Tiger Stadium.  #2: Old Comiskey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I was watching the Bruins broadcast last night and they interviewed a family who had seen the Bruins play in all 31 arenas (finishing the list with Edmonton). First of all, imagine having that money and time to not only see them all but always see the same team. Second of all, that's a nice idea for travel, but there isn't much variation in big indoor arenas, no? I've been to three NBA arenas; controversially, the experience of watching the game at Staples or at TD Garden is not substantially different. Barclays is a tad better in terms of sightlines, presumably because it wasn't built to hockey dimensions. That's about it. Ballpark travel is much more fun.

Anyway, I think I've been to:

Fenway

Skydome

Camden Yards

Nationals Park

Chase Field

The Trop (yikes)

old Atlanta, and old-old Atlanta

on that last one, can't believe I could go to ATL again and make it three different Braves parks in barely 20 years. I probably won't do that any time soon, since if I do end up there again I have no desire to schlep out to the burbs.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

If people aren't aware, the MLB has an app called Ballpark which has a section that allows you to keep a history of the games you have been to, which is how I know the games I have been to. You can check-in at games you are at to add them to your history and the MLB says they are planning on reintroducing the ability to retroactively check-in to games from the past you have been to, something they removed for some reason last year. (The app also works as a ticketing app, which I believe is why the change happened, but I have never used it for that)

If they do reintroduce that, it's a really cool app, though it's still a decently cool app for keeping track of current games and I would recommend it. You can see the record of all the teams you have seen and the total home team record.

MLB (14 games):

Spoiler

Angel Stadium - eight games over three visits

Rogers Centre - four games over two visits

Chase Field - two games on one visit

Angels - 6-4

Twins - 2-3

Blue Jays - 2-2

Dodgers - 1-2

Padres - 0-2

Diamondbacks - 2-0

Yankees - 0-1

Red Sox - 1-0

MLB (non-game):

Spoiler

Fenway Park - I had to kill about 21 hours after flying into Boston last summer and the Red Sox weren't at home, so I took the Fenway tour the next morning.

I'll have to kill about 23 hours in Boston this upcoming summer and the Red Sox are also not at home again, so maybe I'll have to take the tour again? (kidding)

MiLB (one game):

Spoiler

Northeast Delta Dental Stadium - New Hampshire Fisher Cats

Akron RubberDucks 5

New Hampshire Fisher Cats 1

A bucket list item would be to go to more MiLB games in the future. Like driving through the States and stopping at different MiLB games or something.

Other:

Spoiler

Foothills Stadium - former home of the:

• Calgary Cardinals/Expos (Rookie League) 1977-84 - moved to Salt Lake with the arrival of the Cannons, team still exists as the Ogden Raptors in the Pioneer League 
  • Calgary Cannons (AAA) 1985-2002 - moved to Albuquerque
  • Calgary Outlaws (Canadian indy ball league that lasted half a season) 2003 - entire league suspended
  • Calgary Vipers (played in two and a half/three indy leagues) 2004-2011 - folded
  • Calgary Dawgs (summer collegiate) 2003-2005 - were forced out by the Vipers, moved to Okotoks in 2007
  • I went to the occasional Dawg and Viper games when they were in Calgary and I am 90% sure I went to a Outlaws game. The Cannons moved when I was six and I have been told by my parents I didn't go to any of their games.

Seaman Stadium - Okotoks Dawgs (summer collegiate)

Athletic Park - Medicine Hat Mavericks (summer collegiate)

IbjBaeE.png

I actually used that app specifically for getting tickets to a Pirates game I went to last year. I was pleasantly surprised to learn of its other features (I currently have one game and one ballpark recorded). I'll probably use it again, though I don't travel much so it's not gonna be a very big list. So, they do include minor league as well?

Archived