Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The '02 Red Wings and last year's Caps won the Cup after losing the first two games of the first round at home. Probably some others along the way, but I remember those best. Still, pretty daunting. Go get 'em, Jackets.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Cant wait to hear from all the people acting like they predicted this out of the TB series, "I'm tellin' ya, Columbus blahblahblah, crazier things have happened!!".

THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED, NO YOU DIDN'T HAVE A SNEAKY FEELING ABOUT CBJ...

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Hey, Victor Hedman, you can :censored: right off. I mean, you’re probably right, but whatever. Seems to me you guys are the ones who have been outscored 9-1 since having a 3-0 lead in game one. Not exactly the best place to be running smack from. 

BB52Big.jpg

If Wednesday was the least Blue Jackets thing ever, tonight was the least Blue Jackets thing ever.

First time they’ve ever given up fewer than 3 goals in a playoff game.

First time they’ve ever won a playoff game by more than 1 goal.

I did not know the end of a playoff game could ever be calm.

6fQjS3M.png

49 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

One thing that needs to be noted: If Columbus is leading the series 3-0 and leading game 4 3-0 late in the 3rd, it's not over until the final buzzer sounds.

Never count out a team as stacked as Tampa Bay.

Hell, I would still expect them to blow it if the were leading 4-1 with 2 minutes left in Game 4 (leading series 3-0). 

Blowing a 3-0 leading just seems exactly like something the Blue Jackets would do. Given their history. 

Of course I'd love to laugh at The Bolts for getting eliminated in the 1st round after the season they had. Plus it would really make The East a complete tossup. 

21 minutes ago, Bruins said:

Cant wait to hear from all the people acting like they predicted this out of the TB series, "I'm tellin' ya, Columbus blahblahblah, crazier things have happened!!".

THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED, NO YOU DIDN'T HAVE A SNEAKY FEELING ABOUT CBJ...

I literally wrote on the first page of this thread that this wouldn't even be the biggest upset, in terms of pure points differential, that we've seen since the lockout.

In fact, the highest single season point totals since the lockout were this year's Lightning (128), the 2006 Red Wings (124), and the 2010 Capitals (121). The latter two lost in the first round, and the former is clearly fixing to do the same. There's nothing unprecedented about this. 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I literally wrote on the first page of this thread that this wouldn't even be the biggest upset, in terms of pure points differential, that we've seen since the lockout.

In fact, the highest single season point totals since the lockout were this year's Lightning (128), the 2006 Red Wings (124), and the 2010 Capitals (121). The latter two lost in the first round, and the former is clearly fixing to do the same. There's nothing unprecedented about this. 

Yeah, but you're a Tampa fan. You're allowed to be paranoid. 

Alright, maybe not unprecedented. Something close.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

OK, so here we are again. Took the first two on the road from the President's Trophy winner for the second straight season. The difference this year, as I see it, is this...

Last year, it felt like it took everything the Jackets had to win those first two games. It was never at any point "easy." This year, after going down 3-0 early in game one, this team reeled off four unanswered goals like it was nothing. Then tonight, they come out kick the living :censored: out of the Lightning. I don't know what happens next, but I do know that I feel a whole lot better about this 2-0 lead than I did about having a 2-0 lead on the Caps last year. The Caps, even with all their baggage, still had to feel pretty good after losing those first two last season. It wasn't like the Blue Jackets dominated them in those games. The Lightning, with all their baggage, can't be feeling very good after blowing a 3 goal lead in game one and them getting their asses handed to them in game two.

Oh, and then there's this. One team was coached by Barry Trotz. The other is coached by John Cooper. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know early enough about hockey to make a well-informed statement on coaching. All I know is that the Trotz coached Islanders, without John Tavares, look pretty damned good and the Lightning's luggage rack just had a bunch more baggage piled upon it. 

All that being said, I could be entirely off the mark. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived