Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

If you had told me two weeks ago that the Pens and Bolts would be the first to face elimination, I probably would have laughed it you. I have nothing against the Bolts, but I'm pulling for Columbus, even if they get decimated in the next round. It'd be a new experience for them, and I think those fans could use it. I still hold that they need to just close out the sweep. If Tampa gets the chance to crack whatever is going on with them, there's too real a possibility of them reverse-sweeping.

Come on, Blue Jackets, don't pull a Columbus!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The only road team to win last night was Nashville against Dallas. All home team wins were pretty much total domination/home cooking.

To be fair, the Stars controlled the pace of their game, for the most part. Rinne was just in beast mode, and Bishop wasn't playing his best. It was another case of the Predators winning, even though they were objectively outplayed. Pretty much the story of this whole season, for them.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I always wonder what it does to the dressing room when some kid shows up out of college or junior who hasn't been there all year and gets thrown right into the playoffs. The Avs don't seem to mind. 

The Blue Jackets are trying to get Vladislav Gavrikov over from Russia right now, which would help since their bottom 3 defenseman in game 3 were some people named Scott Harrington, Dean Kukan, and Adam Clendening, but I also worry that the delicate chemistry, lightning in a bottle if you will, THANKS, that's working right now will be negatively affected. 

I never like seeing a hot team mess with, well, anything. I don’t care if it’s as simple as who stands where as they head to the ice. Don’t fix what ain’t broke. Especially when you’re up 3-0 on the best team in the NHL. If the Jackets somehow make round two, put Gavrikov on the roster then if you really feel you need to. Just my opinion. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I was gonna make a post about this, because I think it's so odd that this happens somewhat frequently in hockey -- either a dude from college/juniors or someone coming over from Russia, right at the start of the playoffs to join the team.

I guess it's a byproduct of the weird nature of hockey roster rules, but still.

It used to be even worse, when the Oilers signed some guy right out of Europe/USSR for the playoffs. Now teams at least have to have a claim to the guy in advance.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Let's hear it for McCarthy and me

On 2/25/2019 at 10:07 PM, McCarthy said:

Oh because Tampa's looking unstoppable? That means you're too afraid to try? Get out of my face with that scaredy cat nonsense. Yeah, Tampa is looking really good. They're not unbeatable. 

On 2/25/2019 at 10:23 PM, the admiral said:

Washington looked unbeatable through the East in 2010 and then they ran facefirst into Jaroslav Halak and that was it. Vasilevskiy and the rest of these Bolts don't have a Cup to their name, so why should I believe they can handle any adversity they see? They're not even in the weaker conference.

If the Blue Jackets fall short of the conference final and everyone leaves, then yeah, their window is probably closed for a while. But at least they're trying. They have to try. Someone has to! They can't just be a bubble team forever. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In all my years of watching hockey, I think that may have been the first time I've ever seen a team score with the goalie pulled on a delayed penalty. Can't say for sure, but I don't remember ever seeing it before tonight. 

Still a lot of hockey to be played, folks. We're about to enter the time warp of the 3rd period with a lead. All seconds now last about 3 minutes. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived