Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I noticed the Red Wings and Blackhawks aren't in the playoffs. I don't follow hockey too closely, but didn't the Red Wings have something like 24 consecutive playoff appearances? When's the last time both those teams missed in the same season?

2 minutes ago, Quillz said:

So I noticed the Red Wings and Blackhawks aren't in the playoffs. I don't follow hockey too closely, but didn't the Red Wings have something like 24 consecutive playoff appearances? When's the last time both those teams missed in the same season?

Last year.

Before that, 1969.

There’s guaranteed to be someone playing for the Cup that I don’t remember ever seeing win it.

The Avalanche last won when I was 5, the Stars won their when I was 3. The Flames won before my parents met. The other 5 teams out west haven’t won it.

That’s pretty neat.

6fQjS3M.png

In 2009, 2014, 2017, and 2018 I talked myself into believing there was a path to winning their first round series. No delusions here that the Blue Jackets will win this series. The playoff series drought will continue for the foreseeable future. If they win 2 games I'll be surprised, if they get swept I won't be. I'm thinking they lose Games 1 and 2 in ugly fashion, steal Game 3 and then get their doors blown off in 4 and 5. My biggest hope for this series is just to end the dubious "Allowed 3 or more goals in all 21 playoff games they've ever played" streak, but this is a hell of a team to try to do that against. . 

The Lightning are very very good, and worse, they're a terrible matchup for the Blue Jackets. So in all likelihood my personal playoff loss streak will hit 17, which dates back to the 1995 NLCS. Don't cry for me, I'm already dead.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

Word trickling out that the Carolina Hurricanes are about to shut down, turns out Tom Dundon only bought the team so he could sell stupid t-shirts to irony posters on Twitter and Reddit. You hate to see it but you hope everyone can catch on someplace else. I'll be updating you on developments every two minutes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Word trickling out that the Carolina Hurricanes are about to shut down, turns out Tom Dundon only bought the team so he could sell stupid t-shirts to irony posters on Twitter and Reddit. You hate to see it but you hope everyone can catch on someplace else. I'll be updating you on developments every two minutes.

Randos who like alt football: But the the original lead guys were duped!

dfwabel: provides articles proving the lead guys had no idea what they were doing. (Gothamite and I give likes to it)

Randos: But this league was amazing! Why did that monster have to shut down a money pit?

The AAF thread is a delightful read for this back-and-forth.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Hahaha, I got a good laugh out of this. We couldn't get that lucky. I feel sorry for poor Nedeljkovic. They are going to ruin his career as fast as it starts.

Round 1

Tampa over Columbus in 5

Toronto over Boston in 7

Washington over Carolina in 6

New York over Pittsburgh in 7

Calgary over Colorado in 6

Vegas over San Jose in 6

Nashville over Dallas in 5

Winnipeg over St. Louis in 7

Conference Semifinals

Tampa over Toronto in 5

Washington over New York in 6

Vegas over Calgary in 7

Nashville over Winnipeg in 5

Conference Finals

Tampa over Washington in 7

Nashville over Vegas in 7

Stanley Cup Final

Nashville over Tampa in 7

spacer.png

This Islanders team reminds me a lot of the '93 team and I'm glad to be able to watch playoff hockey and care this year.  I want them to advance and would be happy with a second round appearance.  I'd also be very happy if Boston quickly dispatches the Leafs.  Tampa is a buzzsaw and will be very difficult to handle but history's shown that teams like that do lose in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Round 1

Tampa over Columbus in 5

Toronto over Boston in 7

Washington over Carolina in 6

New York over Pittsburgh in 7

Calgary over Colorado in 6

Vegas over San Jose in 6

Nashville over Dallas in 5

Winnipeg over St. Louis in 7

Conference Semifinals

Tampa over Toronto in 5

Washington over New York in 6

Vegas over Calgary in 7

Nashville over Winnipeg in 5

Conference Finals

Tampa over Washington in 7

Nashville over Vegas in 7

Stanley Cup Final

Nashville over Tampa in 7

Nashville is the worst matchup from the West for the Lightning, as far as I'm concerned. I think the Lightning beat any of the other seven; Nashville would be a real fight and the Preds winning wouldn't be too shocking. 

Capitals remain the worst from the East and the worst overall. Caps should be favorites if they meet; they still look like the better team whenever the two play each other.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Nashville is the worst matchup from the West for the Lightning, as far as I'm concerned. I think the Lightning beat any of the other seven; Nashville would be a real fight and the Preds winning wouldn't be too shocking. 

Capitals remain the worst from the East and the worst overall. Caps should be favorites if they meet; they still look like the better team whenever the two play each other.

I would love to see a repeat of last year’s ECF, not just cause it’d mean the total and absolute annihilation of the second round barrier and prove that last year wasn’t a fluke, but it would be an incredibly intriguing matchup. The Lightning have pretty much plowed through the entire NHL this season and the Caps have played them close basically every time IIRC. 

spacer.png

I have not seen it posted yet, so I shall do the honors. In case you actually need something to hype you up for tonight, this is the only thing you’ll need. 

spacer.png

Archived