Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

You know what? When the Sharks scored four goals on a do-or-die power play to erase a 3-0 deficit, I was fully prepared to post "that is the least Sharks-like thing they've ever done". Except, now, if they end up losing this game in OT, that will suddenly have become the most Sharks-like thing they could've ever done. Crush everyone's hopes, build them back up higher than before, and then crush them again. Total wind-up merchants.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Before tonight, has anyone here ever seen a team score four times during a five minute major? I think the most I've ever seen was two. And the Sharks still had 1:11 left on the PP when they scored the 4th goal. Holy hell, that was something to see. 

I saw a Red Wings/Islanders game last February where the Islanders scored four goals on a 5-minute power play and, much like tonight, that turned a 3-goal deficit in the 3rd period into an Islanders lead.

And, also much like tonight, the Red Wings tied it up afterwards to force overtime.

Apparently it happened one other time, in 2011, but I didn't see the game or remember the event. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Kramerica Industries said:

You know what? When the Sharks scored four goals on a do-or-die power play to erase a 3-0 deficit, I was fully prepared to post "that is the least Sharks-like thing they've ever done". Except, now, if they end up losing this game in OT, that will suddenly have become the most Sharks-like thing they could've ever done. Crush everyone's hopes, build them back up higher than before, and then crush them again. Total wind-up merchants.

I'm no hockey expert, but I think you just described the entire history of the Sharks in four sentences. 

BB52Big.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I saw a Red Wings/Islanders game last February where the Islanders scored four goals on a 5-minute power play and, much like tonight, that turned a 3-goal deficit in the 3rd period into an Islanders lead.

And, also much like tonight, the Red Wings tied it up afterwards to force overtime.

Apparently it happened one other time, in 2011, but I didn't see the game or remember the event. 

I figured scoring four times on a five minute major didn't happen often, but am I reading your post correctly, is this just the third time it's happened? 

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

I figured scoring four times on a five minute major didn't happen often, but am I reading your post correctly, is this just the third time it's happened? Or are you referring to the number of times you've seen it happen? 

Someone on Reddit told me this is only the third time it's happened. At least, in recorded history.

spacer.png

Cue the Vegas fans not grasping that it's a damn rule that an injury resulting from a cross check is an automatic 5 minute major.

Don't let the blood on the ice get in the way of their scrappy little lovable underdog self-glossed narrative.

VmWIn6B.png

1 minute ago, LMU said:

Cue the Vegas fans not grasping that it's a damn rule that an injury resulting from a cross check is an automatic 5 minute major.

Remember when the line was that Sharks fans were kind of irritating? Those quaint old days...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Really it was just Lady Stanley.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/6-takeaways-islanders-7-red-wings-6-ot/c-295799818

Wow in the final 5:26 down 3 on a 5 minute major to take the lead and pulled goalie and scored to tie it back with 29 seconds left. Islanders won it in OT though. 

The fact this happened in game 7 down 3-0 eclipses that by far. But still. We're in uncharted territory. Sharks can be the Lightning and live in infamy or be the Blue Jackets and revel in one of the greatest feats in franchise history. 

3 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

GG Leafs, that was one hell of a series, I really think this was the toughest series for both teams. Whomever won definitely would be seen as Cup favorites.  

Going to be interesting how the long wait effects the Blue Jackets, usually it's the worst thing for a team that catches fire like they did against Tampa. 

On a more personal not, if Carolina can pull the upset against DC, I would be 100% content with however the playoffs turn out. 😄

This is a description of me right now. Super happy the the B’s pulled it out, but seeing the Caps lose always gives me great joy. :D  :P 

Can't believe GEICO is running an ad where a hockey fan harasses a woman of color, NOT A GOOD LOOK, BAD OPTICS, PROBLEMATIC, DO BETTER, THIS IS WHY WE'RE NOT THE NBA

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, Sykotyk said:

The fact this happened in game 7 down 3-0 eclipses that by far. But still. We're in uncharted territory. Sharks can be the Lightning and live in infamy or be the Blue Jackets and revel in one of the greatest feats in franchise history. 

Is there a third option....

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Remember when the line was that Sharks fans were kind of irritating? Those quaint old days...

I'm a Kings season ticket holder pulling for the Sharks.  I need several showers after this.

VmWIn6B.png

2 minutes ago, MiK said:

Is there a third option....

No matter what, Sharks fans will remember this game for a long long time. Good or bad now. And it will always be brought up. Every game 7. Every playoff matchup with Vegas. 

Just now, the admiral said:

It’s going to take a minute to get where I’m going here, but I think it works in relation to Vegas fans. Back when I was living in Syracuse, my gf was a law student at SU. Another friend of ours from Ohio was also attending SU. Long story short, spring semester was over and our friend, a few SU law students, my GF, and I were all discussing what we were going to over the summer. Our Ohio friend says “I don’t know what to do, I can’t find a job here and I don’t want to move back to Toledo just to get a job for three months. At this point one of the law students chimes in with this “if you’re not sure, why don’t you just travel for the summer?”  The “just travel” girl is my idea of a Vegas fan. No idea how the real world works. 

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Worst Stanley Cup of all time, I'm ready to call it.

It really just wouldn't be the Rite of Spring without that trademark nihilism.

Aside from the fact that my team is out, it's been a hell of a ride, and more fun than I expected.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived