buzzcut

Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

7 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

How do you blow a 3-0 lead?

Tampa fans better be thankful that was just Game 1, because if that happened in, say, Game 7... well, I would expect every Tampa Bay fan to grab spears, pitchforks and torches so they can go after Yzerman for this.

Yzerman already stepped down before the season and it's pretty much the worst kept secret in hockey that he's on his way to Detroit.

And by "worst kept secret", I mean, this was obvious to anyone paying attention that he would end up back in Detroit for, like, the last five years running. 

Full disclosure: Outside keeping an eye on the standings, I don’t pay much attention to the regular season, but I love playoff hockey - so much so that as I’m typing this I’m watching Vegas - San Jose, two teams I don’t like all that much.

Anyway, I had zero hope for the Jackets going into this series. None. I thought getting a win in the series was about the best I could hope for. Tampa absolutely owned the Jackets in the regular season. They won all three games by a combined score of 17-3. I was out so I wasn’t able to see the entire game. By the time I got home it was 3-0 Bolts. At that point I was just hoping it didn’t get too embarrassing. Then I watched the Jackets reel off four unanswered goals. I saw it happen and I still can’t believe it. Amazing comeback and a helluva lot of fun. Odds are that the Bolts wake up and make quick work of Columbus and that will be that, but tonight, at least, my team is in this series. Fun game. I love the Stanley Cup Playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Cooper. Is. The. Weak. Link.

8 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Refs: "Hmmmm, first goal shouldn't count."

Refs: "Yeah we're gonna let those three blatant Pittsburgh trips go unanswered"

Refs: "That awkward and mutual slide into the boards? Penalty on Lee."

Refs: "Hahaha you thought the puck was loose?"

Refs: "Lehner had it covered, but I didn't want to blow the whistle!"

Isles: "F*** you, we're winning anyways"

ALSO: God bless Josh Bailey. Chokes it with like 7 seconds left, comes back for redemption in OT. This team has so much grit.

I was so happy to see Dom Luscyczkscycncnnznznznz from The Athletic tweet this

and confirmed that I'm not insane. I've been saying this for years, but it's always "oh you're just bitter". YES I AM, but also they're a dirty hockey team who gets away with so much crap because they're the Penguins. 

Unrelated, Jack Johnson got healthy scratched last night. He was also scratched in the playoffs last year when he was with the Blue Jackets. When Jim Rutherford signed him to a 5 year deal (LOL) last July he said the playoff scratch “wasn’t because of how he was playing.” Was this scratch because of how he's playing, JIMBO? 

8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Full disclosure: Outside keeping an eye on the standings, I don’t pay much attention to the regular season, but I love playoff hockey - so much so that as I’m typing this I’m watching Vegas - San Jose, two teams I don’t like all that much.

Playoff hockey is what the sport looks like when it's played in its ideal form, which is why I think hockey fans seem to enjoy their playoffs so much. We watch these guys go 85-90% for 6 months and we wait for 6 months just to see this version of the game.

You wish they could play the regular season like this, but they'd all be dead by Thanksgiving. 

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I don’t want to get too excited because it’s only game, but that made no goddamn sense and I can’t believe that just happened. That never happens to us. 

This game felt bad, but like many have said if this was Game 5 or 6 you'd be feeling worse.  This was a reality check...and just one game.  Columbus took care of it and played 60 minutes of hockey.  

The players know it, but fans need to realize that dominance means nothing once you hit the playoffs and these teams are alot closer in comparison than the 30 point lead the Lightning had over the WC2 Blue Jackets...

Avs vs. Flames is gonna be a good series, no matter how short it'll be. The Flames are gonna win the series, don't get me wrong, but the Avs will put up a fight, as they always do.

45 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Playoff hockey is what the sport looks like when it's played in its ideal form, which is why I think hockey fans seem to enjoy their playoffs so much. We watch these guys go 85-90% for 6 months and we wait for 6 months just to see this version of the game.

You wish they could play the regular season like this, but they'd all be dead by Thanksgiving. 

Canadian Thanksgiving.

39 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

This game felt bad, but like many have said if this was Game 5 or 6 you'd be feeling worse.  This was a reality check...and just one game.  Columbus took care of it and played 60 minutes of hockey.  

The players know it, but fans need to realize that dominance means nothing once you hit the playoffs and these teams are alot closer in comparison than the 30 point lead the Lightning had over the WC2 Blue Jackets...

The 2010 Capitals were legitimately 34 points better than the Habs - that team sucked - and we saw what happened there as well. A bigger spread than the Lightning and Jackets. Which is why I was already writing cautions on the first page of this thread. The best team the Lightning could've drawn in the first round would've been the Hurricanes. Even if it's mostly negative experiences, the Jackets still have a roster full of players with playoff experience to draw from. Carolina doesn't. As much as the "can't be fazed by something you don't know" logic exists in this case, I can't imagine Carolina would've had the resolve to pull off a comeback like that against the Lightning last night. And Mrazek doesn't have the consistent ability to reach his heights in the way that Bob can reach his, either.

No, any Lightning fan who was celebrating drawing the Jackets on the basis of "wE dOmInAtEd ThE sEaSoN sErIeS" was, once a :censored:  ing again, making the kindergarten mistake of acting like regular season games have any bearing on what happens in the playoffs. FFS, the Lightning went 0-2-1 against the Devils, 1-3 against the Bruins, and 2-1 against the Capitals last season. Tell me how those all worked out?

38 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The 2010 Capitals were legitimately 34 points better than the Habs - that team sucked - and we saw what happened there as well. A bigger spread than the Lightning and Jackets. Which is why I was already writing cautions on the first page of this thread. The best team the Lightning could've drawn in the first round would've been the Hurricanes. Even if it's mostly negative experiences, the Jackets still have a roster full of players with playoff experience to draw from. Carolina doesn't. As much as the "can't be fazed by something you don't know" logic exists in this case, I can't imagine Carolina would've had the resolve to pull off a comeback like that against the Lightning last night. And Mrazek doesn't have the consistent ability to reach his heights in the way that Bob can reach his, either.

No, any Lightning fan who was celebrating drawing the Jackets on the basis of "wE dOmInAtEd ThE sEaSoN sErIeS" was, once a :censored:  ing again, making the kindergarten mistake of acting like regular season games have any bearing on what happens in the playoffs. FFS, the Lightning went 0-2-1 against the Devils, 1-3 against the Bruins, and 2-1 against the Capitals last season. Tell me how those all worked out?

I knew this series would mean something....I know firsthand what kind of coach Torts is and wont put up with any BS.  Columbus will give the Lightning a fight and it will be entertaining.  I'd rather play a tough team in round 1 than breeze thru and wax the easy way out.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I should probably clarify my original statement - it's not like I don't watch any hockey during the regular season, I probably watch 2-3 games a month from January through the end of the regular season. I'm just not what one would call a "hardcore" fan during the regular season. I'm somewhere in between "casual fan" and "hardcore fan." Anyway...

It's funny that you bring up wishing they could play like this for an entire season. Last night as I was watching the game, I thought "if NHL regular season games were as good NHL playoff games, hockey would be bigger than the NFL." 

4 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I fully expect the Lightning to win the next 4 games, but you're right that the Blue Jackets weren't their most favorable draw. The Blue Jackets seeding in the playoffs is sneaky because of the loser point, but their 47 wins are the fifth most in the conference and tied for 6th most in the whole NHL. More wins than Toronto and Pittsburgh. 9 more wins than the 8 seed Avalanche out west. They just weren't particularly good at getting to overtime in their losses. 

Not a standard 8 seed, really. 

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Remember the strike shortened season in the 90s? Where the two conferences didn't play each other. And the Devils upset the red Wings? 

That whole season was amazing because it was like a 40 game season and there was no off night. Every game meant everything. For financial reasons they'll never shrink the season, but it certainly made the season fun. 

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

Remember the strike shortened season in the 90s? Where the two conferences didn't play each other. And the Devils upset the red Wings? 

That whole season was amazing because it was like a 40 game season and there was no off night. Every game meant everything. For financial reasons they'll never shrink the season, but it certainly made the season fun. 

12-13 was really good too. I've said for years that a 60 game schedule that starts in October and ends in early March would make for ideal conditions for the best hockey. 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I've said for years that a 60 game schedule that starts in October and ends in early March would make for ideal conditions for the best hockey. 

Yup. 

I hope these people never win anything of value. Hang your regular season champs banners until the sun explodes.

Zach Hyman breaks the seal for Toronto to tie it in the first. Yes, I'm 13 years old.

Was anyone else taken aback by that Kraft mozzarella commercial that showed a teenage brother and sister fighting with the v/o "you have enough hormones in your house"? "Your kids wanna bang. Buy some cheese."

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Zach Hyman breaks the seal for Toronto to tie it in the first. Yes, I'm 13 years old.

HF had to put a ban in place pretty quick on the jokes that came pouring in after Hyman popped his first NHL cherry in 2016.