buzzcut

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Is Columbus our 2019 Team Justice? 

They're Team Just Barely.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 hours ago, JG36 said:

Actually, I guess I already have 2 titles in the past 6 months plus 2 teams that are among the last 8, so I should feel content.

You don’t play professional sports so you don’t “already have” anything. The team does. You just support them.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Bruins in 4

Hurricanes in 7

Avalanche in 6

Stars in 6

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Bruins in 6

I'm more chill about this series than I was about the Lightning series, or the Caps last year, and definitely the Penguins in 2017 and 2014. We got the "never won a playoff series ever" monkey off our back so now it's just hockey. If they win, it'll be awesome, if they lose, even to the most spoiled city in sports, it'll obviously suck, but I'll be able to accept it more easily than if this was another first round loss. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

43 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Tch, of course Washington lost. This shouldn't have even BEEN a series.

Was last year just a fluke?

Last year was the hockey gods shrugging and saying "May as well give it to 'em."

This year was them saying "You've had your fun. Back to reality."

10 hours ago, JG36 said:

I don’t know how. I guess I’ve just been skimming through and since I that series ended a week ago, it’s been a bit. 

Actually, I guess I already have 2 titles in the past 6 months plus 2 teams that are among the last 8, so I should feel content.

Ladies and gentleman, may I present.. that guy.

9 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Man, it sure is gonna awesome to see Boston win titles in ALL F*****G FOUR major sports in the span of less than a year.

Hate Boston or not, the grandslam would be a pretty amazing feat.

@McCarthy & @infrared41 best of luck this series guys. Any other scenario I'm pulling for Columbus to take it to the house, maybe because the image of McCarthy sitting indian style in the corner facing a wall while rocking back and forth at the end of every April was just not a good visualization.

On to the actual series, Columbus was hot but they haven't played in over a week, I wonder what affect that will have and if it's just a slow game 1. What's the scouting report here? I admittedly haven't watch much if any Blue Jackets games this year - so what are they? You know what Boston is: chippy, borderline interference calls every rush, and red hot or ice cold goaltending that varies from period to period.

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Tch, of course Washington lost. This shouldn't have even BEEN a series.

Was last year just a fluke?

Honestly, does it matter? A title is a title.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, speedy said:

@McCarthy & @infrared41 best of luck this series guys. Any other scenario I'm pulling for Columbus to take it to the house, maybe because the image of McCarthy sitting indian style in the corner facing a wall while rocking back and forth at the end of every April was just not a good visualization.

On to the actual series, Columbus was hot but they haven't played in over a week, I wonder what affect that will have and if it's just a slow game 1. What's the scouting report here? I admittedly haven't watch much if any Blue Jackets games this year - so what are they? You know what Boston is: chippy, borderline interference calls every rush, and red hot or ice cold goaltending that varies from period to period.

In the Rest vs. Rust debate I was firmly on Team Rest because the defense was banged up, Bobrovsky needed time to rest, and needed time for Vladislav Gavrikov to get over here from the KHL. We will see of course if it makes any difference. I kind of think that's one of those things that's talked about more than it actually matters. If they lose the series I don't think it'll be because they had too much time off and if they win I don't think it'll be because the Bruins had no time off. 

The Blue Jackets have a world class goaltender who's been lights out down the stretch and had one bad period against the Lightning, but was otherwise spectacular. He's had playoff troubles before, but looks like he overcame that against Tampa. Seth Jones and Zach Werenski are elite puck moving defenseman who play a big role in the offense, but I do enjoy watching Seth Jones stickcheck the puck off guys' sticks in the defensive because he's enormous and long. David Savard is a possession monster who's stepped up his offensive abilities this year and Dean Kukan has been a pleasant surprise this season. Their bottom pair on D, however, is a weak spot with the injuries they've had on the blue line. The forwards have some guys. Top line interchanges PL Dubois for Matt Duchene depending on the night, but Cam Atkinson and Artemi Panarin are on the wings. That's the most dangerous line. Josh Anderson is a big dude who motors, but plays clean and can score. He's Tom Wilson if Tom Wilson wasn't a dumb a$$hole. They also have some sneaky small fast guys like Oliver Bjorkstrand and this Alexandre Texier kid who seem to score every time they have the puck. 

Best ranked penalty kill in the league and they're the second least penalized team in the NHL this season, which is the stat I point to when so many national writers griped "the refs put their whistles away in the playoffs!". Maybe, but there wasn't a whole lot in that series where I went "yikes. got away with one there". 

Average to bad power-play for the whole season, but they went 5 out of 10 against Tampa, which is actually kind of misleading because one of those was at the end of game 2 when they were up 5-1, plus they scored a 6 on 5 goal in game 4 so really they were 6 for 10 if you think about it like that. 

It'll be interesting to see what they try against Boston because against Tampa they played a patient, defense-first, neutral zone heavy game that disrupted passes and made it difficult for the Lightning to enter the zone and their forecheck was really good. I'm not sure if the same systems will work against Boston, but one thing I saw was the team committed to playing complete team hockey with everyone buying into the systems and were air-tight responsible with the puck on the breakout and in the neutral zone, which was my biggest worry going into the Lightning series. I'm worried about them giving that Marchand guy too much room to operate. He always always always seems to have a goal and 2 assists against the Blue Jackets. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Woof. That was a tough series to take from a Washington perspective. Some more thoughts:

-Carolina fully, absolutely deserved that series. They outplayed us in their three prior wins; we did not outplay them in our three wins. Simple as that. 

-Justin Williams’ Game 7 loss with the Caps in 2017 remains his only Game 7 loss. 

-Hindsight is always painfully 20/20, but maybe, just maybe, alienating a Jack Adams winner who just did the impossible and won the freakin’ Washington Capitals the Stanley Cup so that you could hire said coach’s assistant (essentially just so other teams couldn’t hire him) wasn’t a great idea. I said it last night but it’s worth mentioning - how was Carolina so consistently able to get their preferred defense pair on the ice against the Ovechkin line? You’re home! You have the last change! You dictate the matchups! Todd Reirden may yet end up being a great coach, and he got us to a fourth straight division title, but now that the Islanders are through and we’re out, Trotz’s exit looms large. 

-Braden Holtby had his worst postseason game in a long time at the worst possible time. 

-Carolina suffocated the Caps’ PP. It cost us dearly a few times. 

-The Foegle hit on Oshie was dirty as all get out. 

-That no goal call in Game 6 looms large. 

Despite all of that nonsense/ranting up there, at the end of the day, we got our Cup. Can’t ask for too much more. I’d be happy to see any of the remaining teams win it all. Except the Bruins. May the next generation of Boston sports fans endure pain and suffering for eternity as penance. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

-Justin Williams’ Game 7 loss with the Caps in 2017 remains his only Game 7 loss. 

Such a Pittsburgh move to be on the good end of a stat like this. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I think the new Carolina Hurricanes account runner might be a huge Beastie Boys fan. I've seen a lot of references to Beastie Boys songs, during the playoffs.

NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!!!!

I only picked 3 correct last round, so what the hell do I know? Still:

Jackets in 6 - Honestly, it comes down to if we see the same Jackets come out in this series that played the last one. If they do, I think they come out on top. If they spent it all on Tampa, I could see the Bruins winning in 5

Isles in 5 - The Isles will be playing with something that I didn't really see out of the Caps: hunger and a sense of urgency. They have the pieces to get it done...we'll see.

Avs in 7 - I'm pulling for the Sharks, I just have a hard time seeing them getting it done, maybe I've been subjected to too much SJ fan pessimism on here.

Blues in 6 - I really think they're the team to beat in the West this year. They came in red hot at just the right time. Goaltending may be more of a deciding factor in this series than any in this round.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived