Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Islanders have had a hell of a season. We were projected to be a bottom five team, and yet we got a hall-of-fame-caliber GM and coaching duo, stayed right up at the top of the Metro Division standings all season long, had both our goalies produce all-star performances on a consistent basis, deepened our prospect pool, clinched the playoffs, SWEPT THE F***ING PENGUINS (Who were Cup favorites!), and made it farther than He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named taboot.

We may go out with a whimper rather than a bang, but let's not forget what this team was "supposed" to do. I am incredibly proud of my team, even if this series has been total garbage.

9 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Guys, how’re we letting Curtis :censored:ing McElhinney win playoff games?

No, seriously, what the hell?

Mac was a big reason we even made the playoffs. 20 regular season wins in 33 starts while splitting time with Mrazek. 

T1oYViW.png

5 hours ago, selby56 said:

Mac was a big reason we even made the playoffs. 20 regular season wins in 33 starts while splitting time with Mrazek. 

As someone who saw him be doormat in Calgary, was intimately familiar with him nearly completely tanking the Ducks 2010-11 season (when Anaheim had to scramble to find the services of Dan Ellis and Ray Emery to resurrect themselves into the playoffs) and then his subsequent floundering in Columbus, all I can say is... what the :censored:?

Blows my mind that he's been in the league 11 years and put up those 20 wins this season and now two playoff wins! In the second round!!! WITH CAROLINA!!! I know good to mediocre goalies can kick around for a bit, but 11 years?? With his career stats??? That's insane.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Something that appears to be getting lost in the Bruins' problems these playoffs is Bruce Cassidy's terrible coaching on the long change.

The Bruins have looked absolutely terrible in second periods these playoffs, and many times it's because they get caught on the ice for extended shifts while the other teams consistently get changes. Not particularly sure how you fix that, but it has been brutal.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

17 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

Not particularly sure how you fix that, but it has been brutal.

Half your offense learns how to finally play in their own zone and you limit the running around.

Rask is having himself a game tonight so far. Problem is that the defense is already run down because they’re compensating for Marchand playing like the guy on your men’s league team who can’t skate and just hangs in the neutral zone waiting for a breakout pass.

PS: The officiating towards both teams has been disgraceful.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

From a series perspective, Boston needed that win.

From a casual perspective, Columbus couldn't afford to lose. And they didn't just lose, they got their face rubbed into the dirt.

But, hockey is often a sport in which momentum can change on a dime, so there's still hope for the Jackets.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Great third period from the Bruins made up for an otherwise lackluster game. Nice to see the first line do something, though Pastrnak was still absolutely abysmal outside of a combined ~40 second stretch where he got those two points. 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

2 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

So, uh, when can the Tuukka Rask y’all spent last round bitching about show up? 😐

The sooner the better.

I'm probably just letting the pessimism of all my years of being a fan of Ohio teams get the better of me, but tonight's game had a "the clock has struck midnight" feel to it. I hope I'm wrong. Ohio pessimism aside, I believe that if the Jackets can get past Boston, they'll play for the Cup. 

BB52Big.jpg

Too many penalties. They've been very disciplined the entire postseason. Last night right when things started clicking, Rask would make a huge save, and then they'd take a penalty so they weren't able to play the lines like they want to, which pretty much neutralized the last change home ice advantage. 

Back to Boston where the ice is mud and the puck is a tennis ball. 

10 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

From a series perspective, Boston needed that win.

From a casual perspective, Columbus couldn't afford to lose. And they didn't just lose, they got their face rubbed into the dirt.

I don't think it was that bad. The shot share and expected goals metrics were fairly even. A bad bounce off David Savard's ass lets Sean Kuraly make it 3-1 at a point where it felt like the Jackets were going to score any moment to tie the game. The fourth Boston goal was garbage time nonsense I'm not going to worry about. Rask had a good game, which happens. 

If Boone Jenner converts on one of his 16 short-handed opportunities the Blue Jackets are looking at ending the series on Saturday night. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived