Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Wings said:

No offense to the Bruins, Canes & Blues, but if the Sharks can't beat any of these teams they deserve their eternal damnation. 

I can see you being skeptical of the Blues and Canes. But Boston? I think Boston is the best team left honestly. 107 points in the regular season, good for second most in the league. 

T1oYViW.png

1 minute ago, selby56 said:

I can see you being skeptical of the Blues and Canes. But Boston? I think Boston is the best team left honestly. 107 points in the regular season, good for second most in the league

Tampa has proven regular season means dick when it comes to the playoffs

12 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Joe Thornton might get a Cup, after all.

If San Jose makes the finals, it will be another Ray Bourque like story.

Thornton trying to win his first Cup vs. His old team will definitely drive the narrative. 

I remember how it was big deal in 2011 that the Bruins ended up winning a Cup before Jumbo Joe. 

Would definitely be the toughest match up for both teams.  

Then of course you have The Blues. The one also kind of writes itself. 

Hurricanes really don't have a history with either team do they?  Not that I can recall.

Maybe it's because I'm from Arkansas and all of my favorite pro teams are from different cities, but the idea that Boston has had it too good doesn't really matter to me when it comes to the Bruins. I see the Bruins (and Celtics) as a wholly separate thing from the Red Sox and Pats. I certainly don't feel sorry for the indoor teams, but the fact that they're from Boston doesn't fill me with vitriol the way it does others.

I’m not nearly as hard-core as you puck-heads, so tell me if I am crazy here...

Offsides  should not be reviewable.  Any missed offsides is going to be so close that there is no competitive advantage.  And once review is on the table they have no choice but to call it rigidly because there’s no way to draw a line.  So just live with missed calls rather than taking the air out of the game by taking a goal off the board that was not aided by the violation.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think 2 things: 1. Coach's challenge needs to go away. Review every goal and if there's goaltender intereference then waive it off. RE: Offsides, I think offsides should be like balls and strikes and shouldn't be reviewable. 1. The entire point of offsides is to prevent players from cherry picking. If a guy makes an effort to hold up at the blue line and the linesman judges that he's good and that it didn't provide an unfair advantage towards scoring a goal a few seconds later then I don't care if one skate is a centimeter over the line while his other foot is in the air above the line. In that case he's met the intent of the rule. 2. it's hard enough to score as is. Why are we taking away goals over some microscopic persnicketty bullshirt that had nothing to do with how the goal was scored? I want goals to feel like you can count on them to stand the instant the puck goes in the net. I hope it's rectified before a Finals Game 7 OT turns on a video review. 

If there's some terrible missed call like this:

duchene-571x292.jpg

then and only then does the Press Box OfficialTM radio down to the ice and say "you missed it badly. Call No goal". 

What I'm not in favor of is removing blue lines altogether like a few hockey personalities have called for. Half the drama of a possession in an offensive zone is whether the defense can clear the zone and whether the defenseman at the blue line can hold it in. Taking away the blue line would dramatically alter the way the game is played and I'm not sure it'd be for the better. 

If we are going to keep reviewing offsides I think a stipulation should be put in that if a team gains possession in their defensive zone and turns it over and then surrenders a goal it should nullify the previous offsides. You had a chance to clear and you didn't. Tough noogies. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Maybe it's because I'm from Arkansas and all of my favorite pro teams are from different cities, but the idea that Boston has had it too good doesn't really matter to me when it comes to the Bruins. I see the Bruins (and Celtics) as a wholly separate thing from the Red Sox and Pats. I certainly don't feel sorry for the indoor teams, but the fact that they're from Boston doesn't fill me with vitriol the way it does others.

There's no way that the bigger percentage of the Bruins fanbase isn't made up of people who are also Pats and Red Sox fans. I don't see how you can separate them. My desire to watch Boston lose is mostly tied to those fortunate people and not, like, some kid in Omaha who just decided he was a Bruins fan. 

and even if you're strictly a Bruins fan who doesn't care about baseball or football, well, you still got to see a cup win and consistently competitive teams since so compared to who's left in the final four, it's not your turn. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Rules, man. Damned if you follow them (refs), damned if you don't (Avs).

18 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

What I'm not in favor of is removing blue lines altogether like a few hockey personalities have called for. Half the drama of a possession in an offensive zone is whether the defense can clear the zone and whether the defenseman at the blue line can hold it in. Taking away the blue line would dramatically alter the way the game is played and I'm not sure it'd be for the better. 

This is a thing? Oh my lanta

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

There's no way that the bigger percentage of the Bruins fanbase isn't made up of people who are also Pats and Red Sox fans. I don't see how you can separate them. My desire to watch Boston lose is mostly tied to those fortunate people and not, like, some kid in Omaha who just decided he was a Bruins fan. 

and even if you're strictly a Bruins fan who doesn't care about baseball or football, well, you still got to see a cup win and consistently competitive teams since so compared to who's left in the final four, it's not your turn. 

I'm sure they mostly are fans of all the area teams. But they're still different teams to me. I don't have a Boston fatigue the way some of you do, but I do have Patriots fatigue. Also, there are no such things as turns when it comes to championships. Nothing describes the fortunes of sports teams better than this quote from Unforgiven.

QYXHOux.gif

Archived