Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, speedy said:

What is it about Carolina? This has nothing to do with the fact that the Bruins are playing them, but I can't stand them either. I think for me it's the narrative that Raleigh and the Carolinas actually give 2 craps about this franchise - NBC is really pushing it. It's also Dougie Hamilton's face, it's just so punchable.

I think I've gone into this before: unpopular southern teams get to play Thinking Fan's Team far more easily than teams in Canada and the Northeast because what few fans they do have are necessarily younger and more online, so these teams are not burdened with legions of big loud dumb guys who may have retrograde opinions about hockey strategy or the ongoing American Kulturkampf at large. The Hurricanes are a stat nerd's wet dream on the ice because they take lots of shots no matter how bad and they can't lay hits, which is the platonic ideal of analytic hockey. But try to imagine the Twitter crowd falling in love with a Flyers, Bruins, or Islanders team that played the same way. It would never happen. Try to imagine it with the Canadiens, good god, you really can't. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, selby56 said:

Admittedly, Raleigh is no different than any other southern hockey market. The fans show up when the team is good, and they show up big. I've lived in Nashville for the last five years, so I was here when the Predators made their run to the Finals. Before 2017 I was able to buy lower level tickets for $35. Now it is difficult to find nosebleeds for less than $100. You didn't see anyone wearing Preds gear when you went out. Now you see just as much Preds gear as you do Vols. Raleigh was the same way from what I remember living in that area as a kid. 

so what you're saying is that southern hockey fandom is one giant bandwagon aside from maybe, like, the Bolts and Stars.

53Ocz8U.png

2 hours ago, selby56 said:

Not sure how entirely accurate Fox Sports is with this stat, but they show Carolina 7th highest in hits per game in the 2018-2019 season.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/team-stats?season=2018&category=MISCELLANEOUS&group=1&time=0&pos=0&team=1&page=1

Probably not very because hits correlate negatively with possession and the Hurricanes are supposed to be the greatest possession team that ever possessed

Yeah, but player safety advocate Don Cherry doesn't like them, and he's the worst human being who ever lived! Ryan Lambert, by way of the Twitter hivemind, told me so!

14 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Overall I’m pulling for Joe Thornton. I watched the game last night and found myself pulling for the Bruins because the Hurricanes irk me for reasons that have nothing to do with Don Cherry or the storm surge stuff. 

I didn't have a chance to see Game 1, but if there's an argument from my POV to root against Carolina, it has nothing to do with their opponent and everything to do with the idea that, since Carolina's last playoff appearance, the Lightning have made the playoffs six times, reached the ECF four times, and been to the SCF once, without getting the job done on any occasion, and to see a team miss the playoffs for a solid decade and then immediately match, if not surpass, all of that in one fell swoop, is an idea I'm not too keen on wanting to see happen.

Whoever wins this series, I'm hoping the West winner takes them out, no doubt. 

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

so what you're saying is that southern hockey fandom is one giant bandwagon aside from maybe, like, the Bolts and Stars.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I said. 

Each of the southern teams have their group of diehards, but obviously they don’t have the same built in fan base that most Canadian/northern cities have. I’d venture to guess more than half the population of Raleigh and Nashville have never ice skated, let alone played hockey. Maybe a few years of solid playoff runs can help solidify the fan bases in these markets so they become hooked and fans for life, rather than just seeing the team as a trendy thing to watch every few years. 

T1oYViW.png

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

Don Cherry doesn't like them, and he's the worst human being who ever lived

Where's the lie?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived