Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

My Dad's a Bruins fan, and his favorite player was Number 4, Bobby Orr. And the first thing we talked about when I read the score was the 1970 SCF and the Flying Goal, and my Dad remarked how they're going to show that highlight like it's going out of style.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of luck to the Blues fans on here. Great team with great players. We'll see what happens!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

8 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

My Dad's a Bruins fan, and his favorite player was Number 4, Bobby Orr. And the first thing we talked about when I read the score was the 1970 SCF and the Flying Goal, and my Dad remarked how they're going to show that highlight like it's going out of style.

They had a story no mater the outcome in the West. 

-Jumbo Joe facing his original team

-A rematch of one of the most iconic Stanley Cup moments of all time. 

Of course the latter they can milk almost endless. 

Joel Quenneville got unceremoniously fired a month into the season while Craig Berube, who can't chew his food without a graphic instruction manual from IKEA, is in the Final. man whatever

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Joel Quenneville got unceremoniously fired a month into the season while Craig Berube, who can't chew his food without a graphic instruction manual from IKEA, is in the Final. man whatever

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ahh, your bitterness in this thread fuels me. It's a shame Carolina couldn't make it as well.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

13 minutes ago, Morgo said:

This will be the best looking final since 2013 in spite of Boston's socks.  The white numbers look great.

I see why the Bruins changed. The yellow socks added some color balance to the large yellow shoulder yokes. But the arm/waist & socks striping patterns were badly mismatched and inconsistent. The new socks do fix that issue, although it messes up the color balance. Designers had to decide which was the lesser of the two evils. 🤷‍♂️

The 70s jerseys got both color balance and striping consistency down.

Congrats to the St. Louis Blues, the city has waited a long, long time for their Blues to return to the SCF, and it's finally happened.  

As I said on Sunday, didn't expect the Sharks to make it this far this season the way Game 7 vs Vegas was going. Glad they got to the WCF, even if they needed a few breaks to do it.  I know it's too early to really know, but with the Sharks being eliminated is now the Sharks off-season. I wish had inside information on who is coming back and who isn't, but it really is up in the air. Erik Karlsson is the likeliest to leave, however there's rumors that Pavelski might be too expensive to keep. Even if he wants to stay in SJ, there's a price point that he probably has as the lowest he'll take.  If DW can pull a rabbit or two out of his hat, great, just don't overpay for EK65.  

We'll see what happens. Might try a Franchise on NHL 19 and see where the game has Sharks players signing, oh how I wish I could set it up to mirror the season to get the best results.

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

A Stanley  Cup rematch 49 years in the making. Have we seen anything like this happen before? Will this be the longest championship rematch of all time? (Between meetings)

The World Series last year had only previously matched up in 1916 one, 102 years earlier.

Certainly this has to be an NHL record, and obviously many of the SCF matchups going back as recently as, well, 2009 actually, can't happen under the current alignment. So it may be a while before we get a rematch of 49+ years difference again. 

spacer.png

Two observations:

1: I wish like hell the Blues still had their gold numbers
2: Mike Yeo is a f██ing terrible coach

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Mike Yeo will never get another interview for an NHL head coaching job ever again. 

It's pretty remarkable that the Blues were in last place in January considering the stat that something like 90% of all teams in a playoff spot at American Thanksgiving end up making the playoffs. Also remarkable that there have been probably a baker's dozen Blues teams over the years who were better than this one who couldn't make it this far. 

I hope the Blues sweep Boston for Peak Penguins Humilation, but I think we're looking at Boston in 5 or 6, which sucks so hard for multiple reasons. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, DaRadniz29 said:

Congrats to the St. Louis Blues, the city has waited a long, long time for their Blues to return to the SCF, and it's finally happened.  

As I said on Sunday, didn't expect the Sharks to make it this far this season the way Game 7 vs Vegas was going. Glad they got to the WCF, even if they needed a few breaks to do it.  I know it's too early to really know, but with the Sharks being eliminated is now the Sharks off-season. I wish had inside information on who is coming back and who isn't, but it really is up in the air. Erik Karlsson is the likeliest to leave, however there's rumors that Pavelski might be too expensive to keep. Even if he wants to stay in SJ, there's a price point that he probably has as the lowest he'll take.  If DW can pull a rabbit or two out of his hat, great, just don't overpay for EK65.  

We'll see what happens. Might try a Franchise on NHL 19 and see where the game has Sharks players signing, oh how I wish I could set it up to mirror the season to get the best results.

Trade for Marleau!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

9 hours ago, DaRadniz29 said:

Classy sentiments. In spite of how the last couple of games went, I think it was a very evenly matched series. I think the difference really just came down to the Blues depth and ability to withstand a hard fought series. I have no animosity towards the Sharks and wish them all the best in the future.

Now LET'S GO BLUES!

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

So, yeah. How that went:

spacer.png

Hey, the Sharks made it decently far and eliminated Vegas. That’s all I really wanted. Well, that and a fire sale after 2014 to get rid of the rotten core (Jumbo Joe, please retire before you wind up with artificial hips and knees).

Go either team, I don’t really mind Boston or St. Louis. 

13 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

For the Saint Louis Blues, it might be best going in with the mentality that there's still one opponent left.

The celebrating needs to come, only after Boston is defeated.

I get your point, but this is a franchise that hasn't seen a Final since '70, and it's the first Final in their history they actually have a shot at winning. '68-'70 were expansion team vs. O6 Finals. It's not the Blues' fault they were swept all three appearances, since that was back when expansion teams were relegated to having to build from practically nothing. I think they're entitled to enjoy the moment, it's a huge one for this franchise and fanbase.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

19 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I get your point, but this is a franchise that hasn't seen a Final since '70, and it's the first Final in their history they actually have a shot at winning. '68-'70 were expansion team vs. O6 Finals. It's not the Blues' fault they were swept all three appearances, since that was back when expansion teams were relegated to having to build from practically nothing. I think they're entitled to enjoy the moment, it's a huge one for this franchise and fanbase.

yeah they were sacrificial lambs in all those finals. So very NHL to set up the playoffs so the best teams would not meet in the final. The famous Bobby Orr goal was in overtime of Game 4. It was the only close game of that series. The NHL version of the Mandela Effect is so many people are certain that was a Game 7.

Also, I don't think they're celebrating too much either. They made the playoffs 25 straight years and never advanced to a final so this is a big deal. Let me remind everyone that Alex Ovechkin not only picked up the Prince of Wales trophy last year, he sat next to it on the plane, took it home and put it on his dining room table. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

In time I'm sure I will thaw and root for the Blues to take the series, but after all the magic of the Vegas series and the decent start in this series as well, I just wanted the storybook ending to happen. Jumbo getting a Cup at TD Garden would've been a great send-off. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

As much as I wanted the Sharks to win the cup this year, I'm really happy for Blues fans. It's an awesome feeling to see your team in the final and St. Louis definitely deserves it. 

Archived