Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

On 5/22/2019 at 12:36 AM, Kramerica Industries said:

The World Series last year had only previously matched up in 1916 one, 102 years earlier.

Certainly this has to be an NHL record, and obviously many of the SCF matchups going back as recently as, well, 2009 actually, can't happen under the current alignment. So it may be a while before we get a rematch of 49+ years difference again. 

There are a few matchups that could be a rematch of over 50 years difference:

• Leafs - Hawks (last time in 1962)
  • Hawks - Wings (last time in 1961)

Oddly enough, even in the Original 6 era, the Rangers never played against the Blackhawks for the Stanley Cup. So if those two teams finally met, it wouldn't be a rematch but something that should've happened years ago...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were the worst-run teams of the Original Six, basically operated as subsidiaries of the Red Wings. It isn't that odd at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, pollux said:

There are a few matchups that could be a rematch of over 50 years difference:

• Leafs - Hawks (last time in 1962)
  • Hawks - Wings (last time in 1961)

Oddly enough, even in the Original 6 era, the Rangers never played against the Blackhawks for the Stanley Cup. So if those two teams finally met, it wouldn't be a rematch but something that should've happened years ago...

Yep, Rangers/Blackhawks is the only O6 Stanley Cup matchup that hasn't happened yet, which is noteworthy for these boards because it's one of the better aesthetic Finals I could think of. There are a lot of reasons, but the bulk of it was the 50 mile radius exclusive zones on player rights that made Detroit, Toronto, and Montreal so ridiculously dominant during the O6 era.

Interestingly, we were a game 7 OT goal away from it in 2014, and a game 7 away again in 2015. There's no telling how long it could be before both teams are dominant at the same time again.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Interestingly, we were a game 7 OT goal away from it in 2014, and a game 7 away again in 2015. There's no telling how long it could be before both teams are dominant at the same time again.

2014 ended up fine because New York vs. Los Angeles will always sell, but I can only wonder internally how peeved NBC was when the Lightning spoiled Blackhawks/Rangers in 2015. Considering pretty much every game between those two in recent years has ended up being an NBC game (including being a "Wednesday Night Rivalry" game so often when the only rivalry these teams had was "who was worse in the O6 era"), obviously, and rightfully, they see that as a ratings draw, and they were so close to it in 2015 only to be turned away. The one time the Lightning didn't choke when up 3-2 in a Conference Final.

spacer.png

The Rangers have always been the mutant stepbrother of the Original Six. I don't think they have a rivalry within the group that's remotely close to Bruins-Habs, Hawks-Wings, Leafs-Habs, Leafs-Wings, Hawks-Leafs, or Bruins-Leafs. But you can't take anything away from the heat with the Islanders, Flyers, and Devils.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I would've thought the maritimes would be Bruins territory. I dunno if that chart is made from actual statistical analysis or is just meant to be funny; the fact that Texas is a Bruins state leaves me to think it's the former.

The Bruins fans on that map are their home state, and the teams the Blues beat in the playoffs. So yeah, just a joke. I'm more concerned by the first map claiming to show us who America is rooting for and being a map of Canada.

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm more concerned by the first map claiming to show us who America is rooting for and being a map of Canada.

There's wasn't an outline of Canada and US together.

4 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

The Bruins fans on that map are their home state, and the teams the Blues beat in the playoffs. So yeah, just a joke. I'm more concerned by the first map claiming to show us who America is rooting for and being a map of Canada.

I totally overlooked the small section in the California Bay Area and Manitoba being Bruins colored. Clears it up I guess.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Brass said:

Did not know Sean Kuraly was from Dublin, OH. Those are your parts of OH, aren’t they @McCarthy?

Yep. Kuraly played at all the same local rinks as me. Happy to blaze the trail for the kid. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived