Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

OK, so here we are again. Took the first two on the road from the President's Trophy winner for the second straight season. The difference this year, as I see it, is this...

Last year, it felt like it took everything the Jackets had to win those first two games. It was never at any point "easy." This year, after going down 3-0 early in game one, this team reeled off four unanswered goals like it was nothing. Then tonight, they come out kick the living :censored: out of the Lightning. I don't know what happens next, but I do know that I feel a whole lot better about this 2-0 lead than I did about having a 2-0 lead on the Caps last year. The Caps, even with all their baggage, still had to feel pretty good after losing those first two last season. It wasn't like the Blue Jackets dominated them in those games. The Lightning, with all their baggage, can't be feeling very good after blowing a 3 goal lead in game one and them getting their asses handed to them in game two.

Oh, and then there's this. One team was coached by Barry Trotz. The other is coached by John Cooper. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know early enough about hockey to make a well-informed statement on coaching. All I know is that the Trotz coached Islanders, without John Tavares, look pretty damned good and the Lightning's luggage rack just had a bunch more baggage piled upon it. 

All that being said, I could be entirely off the mark. 

You recall correctly. The Jackets got outplayed in the first two games last year by Washington, but they hung on and got lucky in OT twice. They also got to play a backup goaltender thanks to Trotz overthinking. Save for about 5 minutes of the first period on Game 1 I think the Jackets have played perfect team hockey and Tampa’s starting G doesn’t look sharp. 

Few will remember this, but the Jackets were playing 2.5 lines in the playoffs last year. Sonny Milano suited up for the CBJ in the playoffs last year and got 22 seconds of ice time in one game. They didn’t have the same forward depth and also Panarin hurt his knee and was playing hurt. Game 3 was their best playoff game last year they played in that series and they lost in double overtime. After they lost game 3 they ran out of gas trying to play 2 lines against Washington. 

Very possible the same thing could happen again, but I feel better now, especially since Kucherov is probably gonna be forced to sit out Game 3.  

Feeling good, but still nervous because of last year. Far from over. 

Edit: also this is the first time the jackets have finished a playoff game without allowing 3 or more goals. This is their 23rd playoff game. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The '02 Red Wings and last year's Caps won the Cup after losing the first two games of the first round at home. Probably some others along the way, but I remember those best. Still, pretty daunting. Go get 'em, Jackets.

The 06 Hurricanes lost the first two games at home 6-1 and 6-5 to Montreal, but you’re forgiven for forgetting the playoffs that didn’t really happen. 

If the Blue Jackets lose back-to-back years in first round series they led 2-0 coming home it’ll be the meanest thing sports has ever done to me and sports has done a lot of mean things to me. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, MiK said:

How great has the crowd at Nassau been though? A real shame they'll play at that joke of an arena in Brooklyn if they move on to round 2.

The crowds at Nassau are always lively especially in the playoffs and especially when we're winning.

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Oh, and then there's this. One team was coached by Barry Trotz. The other is coached by John Cooper. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know early enough about hockey to make a well-informed statement on coaching. All I know is that the Trotz coached Islanders, without John Tavares, look pretty damned good and the Lightning's luggage rack just had a bunch more baggage piled upon it.  

Barry Trotz is an excellent coach. He turned the pile of dog dung on paper Islanders into a 103 point team with home ice in the playoffs.  I don't think the man will ever have to buy a drink in a bar on Long Island ever again.  Easily the second best coach the franchise's ever had since some guy named Al Arbour.  Columbus looks good.  I wouldn't want any part of them if they advance.

hcjdBp0.png

Why are human refs still a thing? Every angle is lit up with cameras as it is, take the zebras out of it. Too many times they muck it up royally. See above for evidence. No way in hell that is goalie interference.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

The '02 Red Wings and last year's Caps won the Cup after losing the first two games of the first round at home. Probably some others along the way, but I remember those best. Still, pretty daunting. Go get 'em, Jackets.

2011 Bruins also did it. And while they didn't have home ice, the Kings in '14 were down 0-3 in the first round before coming back.

But the situation you outline - teams down 0-2 going on the road in the first round coming back to win the Cup - happening four times in 16 seasons is a surprisingly common occurrence for a situation that is, well, supposed to be pretty grave. 

spacer.png

Giving up two shorties is not a great strategy to win a playoff game, guys. The "no-goal turned power play goal" without a doubt changed the direction of the game, but it's no excuse for shooting yourself in the foot. 1/8 on the power play is atrocious.

Silver lining: Guaranteed third home game. Go Sharks.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Kucherov has to meet the NHL disciplinary dept. How many games does he get? Not looking good for TB.

3 seems the standard. 

At least that's what Nazem Kadri got last year for doing the exact same thing against The Bruins. 

If Blue Jackets can't take advantage of that.........god help them 😂

I didn't have any ill will towards the Jackets at all, but I was basically ready to cede the playoffs to the Lightning. Once in a while, the best regular season team should win in the playoffs yada yada yada. This is absolutely delicious, though. 

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Kucherov will maybe get a game. No way what he did was nearly as bad as the time Andrew Shaw brushed up against Mike Smith.

Bingo. Announced today. 

spacer.png

Also, here’s your interesting stat of the day. Mike Smith (1) has more points in the playoffs than Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, and Nikita Kucherov (0) combined. 

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Also, here’s your interesting stat of the day. Mike Smith (1) has more points in the playoffs than Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, and Nikita Kucherov (0) combined. 

And more than the entire Colorado Avalanche roster combined. 😁

Archived