buzzcut

Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

Barbashev suspended for game 6. Hit was dirty enough for a suspension, but not enough for a penalty as it happened.

NHLOLogic

54 minutes ago, Brass said:

Barbashev suspended for game 6. Hit was dirty enough for a suspension, but not enough for a penalty as it happened.

NHLOLogic

2 minutes in penalties from those cumulative suspensions. Woof.

17 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

No I’m pretty sure that’s very real... However I think it was made back in 2015 when the Wild ended beating the Blues in the first round in 6 games. It’s not that hard to change the 5 to a 9... It’s one little line

The colors are to saturated to be a 4 year old tattoo.

14 minutes ago, dont care said:

The colors are to saturated to be a 4 year old tattoo.

But not for a 4 year old picture...

So just slightly off topic but still think it fits in rite of spring. Last chance for hockey until fall comes up on Sunday (if necessary Wednesday).

The Charlotte Checkers, or as I like to call them the Baby Jerks (affiliate of Carolina Hurricanes), just won the Calder Cup in the AHL.

A few days ago the Newfoundland Growlers (affiliate of Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Marlies) won the ECHL Kelly Cup (they made a new one replacing the one Colorado kept) in just their first season, a feat that hasnt been seen in the ECHL since the 1990 Greensboro Monarchs.

Tonight is the night that the Blues failure memes could end forever.

Fingers crossed for a clean win with no referee BS.

I feel like whoever wins this game wins the cup. 

C'mon Blues!!!

Bruins save the season and send the series all the way to 7 and spoil the party in Missouri, or there be 1 last glorious Gloria that will last a lifetime and 52 years of frustration will be over.

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing the Blues raise Lord Stanely's Cup. If so, it's whatever. I never expected the Bruins to get this far so it is what it is. Otherwise, just hoping it's an entertaining game.

Apparently, the St. Louis Post Dispatch was caught prematurely celebrating a Stanley Cup Championship.

http://es.pn/2KEWGZZ

The "delay of game" penalty for flipping it over the glass in your own zone remains the worst idea everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

8 minutes ago, Brass said:

The "delay of game" penalty for flipping it over the glass in your own zone remains the worst idea everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Why? I'm ok with it. Tell me why it's wrong (I don't have the historical database of why it's wrong - I'm not trying to be a donkey).

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why? I'm ok with it. Tell me why it's wrong (I don't have the historical database of why it's wrong - I'm not trying to be a donkey).

It's clear that 99% of the time, a player is trying to play it off the glass to a forward high in the zone. The intention of doing that is a smart, heads-up hockey play. Did some defensemen abuse the system? Probably, but it was never enough of a problem to warrant a new rule to combat it. I hate to play this card, I really do, but I've played at a high level of hockey and can promise you that it was never a problem nor was it something coaches told their players to do.

The only reasons it's a penalty now is to hamstring the defense and open the game up more offensively. It reminds me of about 15 years ago when USA Hockey was toying with the idea of getting rid of no-icing for teams killing penalties.

6 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

My stance is that it hasn't been a problem at all in college or international play, why is it treated like such a big deal in the NHL?

I think that they should just make it the equivalent of icing. Defensive zone face off, no subs, no timeouts. 

Edit: Brass's explanation is a much more eloquent version of what I'm trying to say.

2 minutes ago, Brass said:

It's clear that 99% of the time, a player is trying to play it off the glass to a forward high in the zone. The intention of doing that is a smart, heads-up hockey play. Did some defensemen abuse the system? Probably, but it was never enough of a problem to warrant a new rule to combat it. I hate to play this card, I really do, but I've played at a high level of hockey and can promise you that it was never a problem nor was it something coaches told their players to do.

The only reasons it's a penalty now is to hamstring the defense and open the game up more offensively. It reminds me of about 15 years ago when USA Hockey was toying with the idea of getting rid of no-icing for teams killing penalties.

Thanks. That is exactly the knowledge I didn't have.

I will join in hating it 😁

It's 1-0 Boston after 1. The game is still up in the air, but if I'm Boston, I want to be physically punishing. Not enough to draw penalties and be on the Penalty Kill, but enough to force advantageous situations on the other end of the ice.

15 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

It's 1-0 Boston after 1. The game is still up in the air, but if I'm Boston, I want to be physically punishing. Not enough to draw penalties and be on the Penalty Kill, but enough to force advantageous situations on the other end of the ice.

More importantly, Bruins need to keep shooting. Every time they try a lame toe drag or pass instead of shooting in the open lane they have I move closer to buying a Canadiens jersey.