WNBA Unveils New Set of League Logos

WNBA Unveils New Set of League Logos

April 9, 2019 - 17:14 PM

The Women’s National Basketball Association unveiled a new set of league logos on Monday one year in advance of its official on-court debut. Keeping orange as the primary colour (now known as “Fire”), the new look takes the silhouette out […]

Read More...

Downgrade, IMO. The silhouette looks like it has just one leg from that angle, and feels odd just floating there outside of a container.

I hope that they use the rectangle version on the jerseys.

Very elegant.  Should look great on the floor/materials/etc.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The old one had the wrong kind of character, though.

“The letters are too masculine, can we do something about that?”

“Ooh. Let’s make some of them lowercase. That will be cute and approachable!”

I much prefer the bold, unapologetic look of the new one, even if it’s not as unique.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Probably a good thread as any to talk about the Aces changing their uniforms up some.

Last year they had black jerseys with silver accents since the move from the San Antonio came a little late to change the jerseys. I wonder if they're secondary jersey will continue to be gray, or if it will switch to red or gold.

Regarding the Storm jerseys, they signed a new sponsorship deal.

Which replaces the Storm logo on the shoulder as seen in this poor photoshop.  Another thing to note, the Verizon sponsor below the number is gone.  

I dont like having no logo or team name or anything on the jersey

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

41 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I much prefer the bold, unapologetic look of the new one, even if it’s not as unique.

just a thought experiment; who are they trying to market the WNBA to? In the free market women tend to be drawn to different aesthetics than men. Would it not make sense to brand a women's league as being more feminine than their male counter parts? Would that be sexist?

Full disclosure, I have no dog in the fight just thinking out loud

9 hours ago, lilgump said:

Probably a good thread as any to talk about the Aces changing their uniforms up some.

Last year they had black jerseys with silver accents since the move from the San Antonio came a little late to change the jerseys. I wonder if they're secondary jersey will continue to be gray, or if it will switch to red or gold.

Regarding the Storm jerseys, they signed a new sponsorship deal.

Which replaces the Storm logo on the shoulder as seen in this poor photoshop.  Another thing to note, the Verizon sponsor below the number is gone.  

I dont like having no logo or team name or anything on the jersey

Hopefully this means Swedish goes to the back and the Storm wordmark comes back. Somehow I'm sure this won't happen. 😡

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I don’t think selective lowercase is terribly feminine.  Some of my favorite designs employ it. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Whimsy isn’t necessarily feminine. 

They got rid of the number and put the storm logo there. I can dig it.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Well for all the teams that have multiple sponsors. I like this look more than having zero brand/logo on the front. For the teams that already have the team name/city on the front, this doesn't look as good.

impossiblefp4.jpg

1 hour ago, lilgump said:

Well for all the teams that have multiple sponsors. I like this look more than having zero brand/logo on the front. For the teams that already have the team name/city on the front, this doesn't look as good.

I think it depends on how the wordmark and logo interact.  If they compliment but don’t repeat, it can look very good. 

spacer.png

if, however, the logos are too similar, if they duplicate too much information, it looks terrible. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

This has me a bit nervous, personally. I’m looking at these new WNBA jerseys and wondering, is this what the NBA will look like some time down the road?

WNBA teams operate at a loss, as long as that's not the case in the NBA this shouldn't happen. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

spacer.png

They should've just put ATL in the center and toss the primary logo. That Liberty jersey reminds me of the MLS jerseys when they all had team wordmarks where sponsor logos are now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived