2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Tracy Jordan

I don't understand why people are saying Kyrie is a "determent" or "sabotaging" the Celtics. 

Without him, they likely don't even make the playoffs. or only squeak in as an 8 seed. 

And If he hadn't gotten hurt last year, there's a damn good chance they make the Finals instead of Lebron.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

I don't understand why people are saying Kyrie is a "determent" or "sabotaging" the Celtics. 

Without him, they likely don't even make the playoffs. or only squeak in as an 8 seed. 

And If he hadn't gotten hurt last year, there's a damn good chance they make the Finals instead of Lebron.  

39 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Good thing Kyrie didn’t get hurt this year, so the team could bumble their way to a considerably worse seed and get wrecked in four consecutive games in the second round ???

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Kyrie needs to go 1-3 to go 6-22, which would follow 7-22 and 8-22 games.

Otherwise, what a bust. Celts suck. The East renaissance may not be so at all. Raptors/Bucks should be a lot of fun though -- one of those two teams will be in the NBA Finals!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

So you think even with Kyrie, they wouldn't have made by a Cavs team that was barely scraping by solely on the will of Lebron?

42 minutes ago, Digby said:

Good thing Kyrie didn’t get hurt this year, so the team could bumble their way to a considerably worse seed and get wrecked in four consecutive games in the second round ???

Things change year to year, Core just couldn't gel like they did the previous year.

But to act like it's on Kyrie is just ludicrous. He's been a tremendous part in keeping the Celtics competitive. You think they'd have been better off with broken down IT? 

1. Kyrie leaving isn't a sure thing yet (I don't know why people are acting like he already confirmed he's gone like AD)

2. Speaking of, Celtics still have as good (if not better) a shot as anybody at landing AD. 

The Celtics won more games and went further in the playoffs behind Thomas two years ago.

They won more games and went further in the playoffs with Kyrie sitting out last year.

No need for hypotheticals.

5 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

So you think even with Kyrie, they wouldn't have made by a Cavs team that was barely scraping by solely on the will of Lebron?

Hell no.  Kyrie sucks the oxygen out of the room.  He would have reduced the shot attempts from Tatum, Rozier, and Brown by at least 20%.

Things change year to year, Core just couldn't gel like they did the previous year.

But to act like it's on Kyrie is just ludicrous. He's been a tremendous part in keeping the Celtics competitive. You think they'd have been better off with broken down IT? 

1. Kyrie leaving isn't a sure thing yet (I don't know why people are acting like he already confirmed he's gone like AD)

2. Speaking of, Celtics still have as good (if not better) a shot as anybody at landing AD. 

They have the assets for David Griffin to accept, but Davis still has his player option after the 2019-20 season.  If traded there, he'll leave. 

50 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Kyrie needs to go 1-3 to go 6-22, which would follow 7-22 and 8-22 games.

Otherwise, what a bust. Celts suck. The East renaissance may not be so at all. Raptors/Bucks should be a lot of fun though -- one of those two teams will be in the NBA Finals!

The downside is we will soon get stories about how a "new arena kickstarts a team's success", but in reality, it is "$500M in public monies helps propel for-profit sports team"

I guess the Trailblazers will have their hand out next since Phoenix got public money earlier this year. Maybe the Grizzlies too

https://arenadigest.com/2017/10/12/nba-arenas-oldest-newest/

11 minutes ago, Digby said:

The Celtics won more games and went further in the playoffs behind Thomas two years ago.

They won more games and went further in the playoffs with Kyrie sitting out last year.

No need for hypotheticals.

Those statements are ludicrously ignorant. 

IT was phenomenal in 2017, but that season ended up physically breaking him. Ainge knew that so he traded him for Kyrie (which ended up being a complete steal for the Celtics no matter how you look at it)

Celtics would have been the 1 seed last year if Kyrie wasn't injured (Reminder: They won 16 in a row with him at the start of the season). 

If you want to play this asinine game, why does no one blame Hayward? Unlike Kyrie he missed all of last year. 

16 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Hell no.  Kyrie sucks the oxygen out of the room.  He would have reduced the shot attempts from Tatum, Rozier, and Brown by at least 20%.

They have the assets for David Griffin to accept, but Davis still has his player option after the 2019-20 season.  If traded there, he'll leave. 

That's why they were so phenomenal with him last year, right? 

And we've seen before players say they're going to leave it trade to ____ and they stay. 

Kawhi doesn't exactly sound as committed to leaving Toronto as he was before. 

21 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Those statements are ludicrously ignorant. 

I literally stated the results.

IT was phenomenal in 2017, but that season ended up physically breaking him. Ainge knew that so he traded him for Kyrie (which ended up being a complete steal for the Celtics no matter how you look at it)

Would like to take this opportunity to shout out the Celtics medical staff, who were all conveniently fired after maybe mishandling a career-altering injury for Thomas, as well as note that Kyrie has played 60 and 67 games in his two Boston regular seasons.

Celtics would have been the 1 seed last year if Kyrie wasn't injured (Reminder: They won 16 in a row with him at the start of the season). 

If you want to play this asinine game, why does no one blame Hayward? Unlike Kyrie he missed all of last year. 

There's plenty of blame for Gordon Hayward. Here you go: he looks like a D-Leaguer, and he should probably retire to a life of video games and being super weird about not having a son.

21 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

That's why they were so phenomenal with him last year, right? 

And we've seen before players say they're going to leave it trade to ____ and they stay. 

Kawhi doesn't exactly sound as committed to leaving Toronto as he was before. 

November 2017 was a long time ago. Pretty well outweighed by the past year of everyone on the team regressing, passive-aggressive sniping at teammates and coaches, self-inflicted contract drama and shooting 29% in the friggin playoffs.

It's not that everything is Kyrie's fault but he's the self-proclaimed leader and the one who's a free agent. So here we are.

(And I'm happy to also point out that aw-shucks Brad Stevens needs to try making adjustments every now and then, Danny Ainge needs to find a philosophy that isn't "ASSETS", and Hayward, again, should retire)

Just now, Digby said:

I literally stated the results.

While completely ignoring the Context. 

1 minute ago, Digby said:

Would like to take this opportunity to shout out the Celtics medical staff, who were all conveniently fired after maybe mishandling a career-altering injury for Thomas, as well as note that Kyrie has played 60 and 67 games in his two Boston regular seasons.

What happened to IT sucks, but any competent GM would have done the exact same.

Also, remind me how many game IT has played since being traded?

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

There's plenty of blame for Gordon Hayward. Here you go: he looks like a D-Leaguer, and he should probably retire to a life of video games and being super weird about not having a son.

Hayward is probably the worst luck they've had in a long ass time. Franchise player that should be the cornerstone of the team, and he gets a career-altering injury in the very first game of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

November 2017 was a long time ago. Pretty well outweighed by the past year of everyone on the team regressing, passive-aggressive sniping at teammates and coaches, self-inflicted contract drama and shooting 29% in the friggin playoffs.

It's not that everything is Kyrie's fault but he's the self-proclaimed leader and the one who's a free agent. So here we are.

Yeah, there's definitely been so Drama, but let's not pretend they're the Lakers w/Lebron. 

Last year was definitely the peak for this core, and they failed to capitalize on it because of some real :censored: luck. 

But sacking it all on Kyrie is just dumb. Celtics don't make it as far as they do without him, that's just a fact. 

The experiment didn't work out as well as it should have, but that's sports for you. 

35 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Ainge knew that so he traded him for Kyrie (which ended up being a complete steal for the Celtics no matter how you look at it)

Eh...

The Cavs moved a player that demanded a trade and basically in return netted a promising young player in Collin Sexton. If Kyrie leaves I’m sure most Celtics fans would tell you they’d rather have that Brooklyn pick which could have been another young piece, rather than a two year rental of a selfish player. 

T1oYViW.png

8 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

But sacking it all on Kyrie is just dumb. Celtics don't make it as far as they do without him, that's just a fact. 

That's your speculative opinion, not a fact.

And yes, bad luck happens. It certainly happened last year. But this year? Kyrie being a whiny pissbaby in every media availability is not bad luck, the team unsuccessfully changing course to five guys playing iso-ball is not bad luck, shooting 29% from the field is maybe bad luck but not the kind of luck that stars let happen in the playoffs.

Again, the team that damn near made the finals last year over LeBron had no Kyrie, no Hayward, it was Al Horford and a bunch of actual children. 

16 minutes ago, selby56 said:

Eh...

The Cavs traded a player that demanded a trade and basically in return netted a promising young player in Collin Sexton. If Kyrie leaves I’m sure most Celtics fans would tell you they’d rather have that Brooklyn pick which could have been another young piece, rather than a two year rental of a selfish player. 

Cavs also probably thought they were getting the same All Star IT that carried the Celtics that whole year. Hence why they were willing to take that deal.

I also can't really think of who they would have gotten in that draft that would have been anything close to Kyrie.

11 minutes ago, Digby said:

That's your speculative opinion, not a fact.

And yes, bad luck happens. It certainly happened last year. But this year? Kyrie being a whiny pissbaby in every media availability is not bad luck, the team unsuccessfully changing course to five guys playing iso-ball is not bad luck, shooting 29% from the field is maybe bad luck but not the kind of luck that stars let happen in the playoffs.

Again, the team that damn near made the finals last year over LeBron had no Kyrie, no Hayward, it was Al Horford and a bunch of actual children. 

It's pretty close to a fact. Kyrie has been their top player this whole season, explain to me how they get the 4 seed, or even sweep indy , without him. 

Did the team regress this year? Yeah, that happens to everyone. It's inevitable. None of that is Kyrie's fault. Again, he was one of the few things keeping the team competitive.

And why wouldn't they have made the Finals last year if they had Kyrie? They lost Game 7 by 8 points. That's exactly the difference between having a guy like him & not. Probably doesn't go 7 games if he was healthy. 

Sucks, but thems the breaks sometimes. 

In other news, I believe the Milwaukee Bucks are in the Eastern Conference Finals. Not the Boston Celtics.This has been a long time coming. Boston fans take your talk to the off season thread. 

packchampionslfroh.png

11 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Cavs also probably thought they were getting the same All Star IT that carried the Celtics that whole year. Hence why they were willing to take that deal.

I also can't really think of who they would have gotten in that draft that would have been anything close to Kyrie.

My point is the Cavs traded a disgruntled player for a nice young piece in Collin Sexton. Given the circumstances, I’d say they made out pretty good in that trade. 

T1oYViW.png

1 minute ago, selby56 said:

My point is the Cavs traded a disgruntled player for a nice young piece in Collin Sexton. Given the circumstances, I’d say they made out pretty good in that trade. 

At the time, I think getting IT was more on their mind than the Draft pick.  

I wouldn't say the Cavs made out great Considering IT barely played (if at all) for them, and they still finished dead last in the league.

Celtics clearly got the better end of the trade.  

5 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

At the time, I think getting IT was more on their mind than the Draft pick.  

I wouldn't say the Cavs made out great Considering IT barely played (if at all) for them, and they still finished dead last in the league.

Celtics clearly got the better end of the trade.  

I really don’t think IT was their main priority of the trade. Dude was out with injury until February. They wanted that draft pick, probably hoping to flip it for another player at the deadline. It was a projected top 3 pick before the season started. 

T1oYViW.png

Archived