Tracy Jordan

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

She made such a poor decision...

 

This is so great.

 

Edited by dfwabel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

What if* Zion pulls an Elway/Danny Ferry/Eli and refuses to play for the Pelicans?

 

From the impromptu interview, he seemed to be okay with New Orleans, and how he stated he's never been there. Now, his mindset can change on a dime, but right now; I think he has no problem with the situation, I think he just wants to play professional basketball.

 

EDIT: Here's a video from SVP, that might be nothing more than "stirring the pot", but take it for what it's worth.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dont care said:

So is this the last we’ll see of tanking?

The Pelicans still limited the minutes of Davis after the All Star Game to 25 and he only played more once since January 18. They wanted to DNP-CD him too but the league got involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The Pelicans still limited the minutes of Davis after the All Star Game to 25 and he only played more once since January 18. They wanted to DNP-CD him too but the league got involved.

I was talking about the knicks, Cleveland, and suns ranking and they got worse positions than they should have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think New Orleans will work out for Zion; he's sad about not going to New York and that's fair enough, but let's face it: with how toxic of a dumpster fire the Knicks are they'd probably only ruin him, just like they probably would've ruined Steph Curry, the last prospect who really wanted to go to NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How has the fan support been in New Orleans?  I know it's a rabid football town but is it also a rabid NBA town?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

How has the fan support been in New Orleans?  I know it's a rabid football town but is it also a rabid NBA town?

 

Rabid, no.  

 

Decent considering the product over the last 17 years, yes.   No worse than teams like Milwaukee, Atlanta, Memphis, Minnesota, Phoenix, Sacramento, Denver and Indiana.

 

Home attendance is about 95% capacity over the last 6 years; haven't been last in attendance since the 2004-2005 season (when the team was on their 3rd coach in three years, got off to a 2-29 start, and finished with a 16-64 record). 

 

They are also a popular local TV draw when they are winning.  Last year, before the NBA Finals began, New Orleans was ESPN's second-highest-rated local market during 2018 playoff broadcasts (19 games) with a 6.7 metered market rating (according to ESPN's Communications Director Ben Cafardo).  Cleveland, (when LeBron was still there and they were in the finals), was the only city higher with an 11.7 rating.

 

Don't listen to those on this board who tell you that New Orleans is a "bad market for the NBA"  or  that they are the most likely to move. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pelicans sold 2,000 season tickets last night.

 

The Seattle NHL team -- no logos, no players, no anything -- received 25,000 season ticket deposits on their first day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Personally I think New Orleans will work out for Zion; he's sad about not going to New York and that's fair enough, but let's face it: with how toxic of a dumpster fire the Knicks are they'd probably only ruin him, just like they probably would've ruined Steph Curry, the last prospect who really wanted to go to NYC.

He still hasn't signed with an agent as a former agent and now counsel for the retired NBA Players noted:

 

He, like all underclassmen, has until May 29 to decide to return to Duke and keep his NCAA eligibility. 

Edited by dfwabel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

He still hasn't signed with an agent as a former agent and now counsel for the retired NBA Players noted:

 

He, like all underclassmen, has until May 29 to decide to return to Duke and keep his NCAA eligibility. 

If he decided to go back it would only hurt his stock. Even if he went through the season without injury and a national title, people would hold it against him. Would it keep him from getting paid? Hell no! But to go from being excited to go number 1 to running back to college because you fear (or people believe this is fear) not getting the perfect spot to start your career, it will tarnish him a little bit. 

31 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The Pelicans sold 2,000 season tickets last night.

 

The Seattle NHL team -- no logos, no players, no anything -- received 25,000 season ticket deposits on their first day.

Were the 2,000 season tickets new seats in addition to season tickets that were renewed? Seattle also has the advantage of new franchise smell as opposed to New Orleans that has had to deal with the perception of poor team play, the actuality of ownership battles after Tom Benson's death, and the drama of AD trying to get out of town last season but getting held in check until his contract runs out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, B-Rich said:

That's pretty petulant and childish

I don’t see how. You can disagree with me on the viability of NOLA as a NBA market. I don’t think it’s childish or petulant, however, to say the NBA would be better off with Seattle and OKC compared to NOLA and OKC. 

 

6 hours ago, B-Rich said:

They did go to OKC... temporarily, after a major disaster. 

... And then they came home. 

I mean it’s very probable that both the Hornets and Saints would have left NOLA had it not been for said disaster.

 

6 hours ago, B-Rich said:

And once they couldn't get an arena deal done, those folks moved the team to OKC. 

Ok. A few things. Do I think the Hornets should have left for/stayed in OKC? Yes. That’s done though. It didn’t happen, Seattle lost their team instead. A more supportive city lost their team. 

 

And the point you make here is undermined by the fact that the Oklahoma ownership group never acted in good faith. Their proposal was made to be rejected so they could move the team. 

 

So now the Sonics are the Thunder in Oklahoma. The question is now “how does the NBA return to Seattle, a city that got screwed over?”

I was against the Kings moving because 1) the whole thing seemed like dirty pool and 2) I would rather one of the oldest lineages in the NBA survive than morph into the faux-Sonics. 

 

The Pelicans though? 25 out of 30 in attendance. If expansion is off the table and Seattle can only get a team via relocation? The Pelicans are the perfect team in that venn diagram of “not a lot of notable history” and “they don’t seem relevant in their own market.” 

 

Again, you’re free to disagree and claim NOLA is a great NBA market. I’m sure there are strengths in its favour. I just don’t see how me taking the opposite approach is “petulant” or “childish,” however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Orleans coming out of Hurricane Katrina turned into a huge blessing in disguise for the Saints. 

 

Out of the teams most likely to move, I think it's Memphis, but if Gayle Benson decides to sell the Pelicans, who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Out of the teams most likely to move, I think it's Memphis, but if Gayle Benson decides to sell the Pelicans, who knows.

 

Don't you put that evil on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don’t see how. You can disagree with me on the viability of NOLA as a NBA market. I don’t think it’s childish or petulant, however, to say the NBA would be better off with Seattle and OKC compared to NOLA and OKC

 

Ok. A few things. Do I think the Hornets should have left for/stayed in OKC? Yes. That’s done though. It didn’t happen, Seattle lost their team instead. A more supportive city lost their team. 

These points are what you and others keep believing and focusing on, ergo the IDEA as a GIVEN that if the Hornets/Pelicans franchise would have stayed in OKC, the Seattle Supersonics would have stayed in Seattle.  That's not even close to being a "given", however much you or anyone else like to think of it as such.  The fact is that Schultz first tried to find a local buyer.  No one came forth.  He then offered the team to out-of-towners, and not just the ones from OKC.  Those same other groups-- San Jose, Anaheim, Vegas, St. Louis-- would have been there if the Hornets/Pelicans had stayed in OKC, and most likely would have been the ones he wound up selling to. 

 

 

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I mean it’s very probable that both the Hornets and Saints would have left NOLA had it not been for said disaster.

Again, that's your opinion, but it's also total conjecture, just as much as the idea that if the Hornets/Pelicans franchise would have stayed in OKC, the Seattle Supersonics would have stayed in Seattle.  While I do think that the disaster gave locals an appreciation of what we actually had and could have lost-- much in the same way in which a spouse or child's near death can make a person appreciate them even more afterwards-- I don't think either franchise was in imminent danger of moving, despite what you may have read from national pundits and talking heads.  These were the same people (along with far too many on our board) who were stating in Katrina's aftermath that New Orleans would not rebuilt and that the Saints and Hornets would never return. 

 

 

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

And the point you make here is undermined by the fact that the Oklahoma ownership group never acted in good faith. Their proposal was made to be rejected so they could move the team. 

I'm not disagreeing with that in the slightest.  The minute that Schultz agreed to sell to the same group that was trying to buy the Hornets off of George Shinn and keep them in OKC, everyone knew it was over. 

 

But here's some conjecture in return- what if locals CALLED THEIR BLUFF?  Voted and agreed to the deal?  Then Clay-boy and his Okies are screwed, they don't get a team for OKC, and they're stuck with a team in Seattle.  Long story short, they wind up selling to local owners, Sonics stay in Seattle, and the Okies try some where else with another team. 

 

 

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Pelicans though? 25 out of 30 in attendance. If expansion is off the table and Seattle can only get a team via relocation? The Pelicans are the perfect team in that venn diagram of “not a lot of notable history” and “they don’t seem relevant in their own market.” 

  I completely disagree with the statement "they don't seem relevant in their own market".  And in the real world,  relocation decisions are not made via venn diagrams using your criteria.

 

 

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Again, you’re free to disagree and claim NOLA is a great NBA market. 

I don't think and never said New Orleans is a "great'  NBA market.   I do disagree with the comment made by another that it is a BAD NBA market.  As I said in an earlier post, I'd say it's a decent market.

 

 

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I just don’t see how me taking the opposite approach is “petulant” or “childish,” however. 

What I was saying in particular was that your changing your regular stance on teams keeping their history, specifically in the case if the Pelicans moved to Seattle, because "they should have gone to OKC anyway" was childish and petulant.   

 

I certainly don't think it is childish/petulant that you believe Seattle is a better NBA market than New Orleans, or that you'd rather have the Sonics in Seattle than the Thunder in OKC.   

 

Hell, I agree with BOTH those statements.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it me, or have there been more point-for-point, TL;DR arguments in this and the NHL playoff thread than in years past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If he decided to go back it would only hurt his stock. Even if he went through the season without injury and a national title, people would hold it against him. Would it keep him from getting paid? Hell no! But to go from being excited to go number 1 to running back to college because you fear (or people believe this is fear) not getting the perfect spot to start your career, it will tarnish him a little bit.

 

Zion going back to Duke is such a stupid narrative being made by goofy media hot takers who are upset about the Knicks still being worthless. The sports media's collective blue balls due to the Knicks' incompetence can never be understated.

 

Even if he went back to college for no apparent reason, there's still plenty of opportunity for the lottery winner to end up being New Orleans again, or Memphis or some other city seen as undesirable to some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, B-Rich said:

... And once they couldn't get an arena deal done, those folks moved the team to OKC. 

 

Quit conflating the effects of a major disaster on one city with another city/metro area's failure to do what it takes to keep a team.

 

Ownership's proposal was for a half-billion-dollar publicly funded arena in Renton, which made no sense for a Seattle fanbase and was more expensive in the suburbs than the Findom Forum in downtown Milwaukee before you even adjust for inflation. It was designed to be rejected. Come on.

 

Also, I strongly disagree that the Sonics would have wound up in Las Vegas, San Jose, Anaheim, or St. Louis had the coffee idiot sold to a group from there instead. The league had a conniption fit over the Kings trying to move to Anaheim and would have had one over a third Northern California team as well, to say nothing of the gambling concerns that still loomed large over Vegas in the mid-2000s. Stern was always close with the OKC owners (I think they were Spurs shareholders for a long time first) and was gonna look out for them in a way that he wouldn't have for outside buyers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Is it me, or have there been more point-for-point, TL;DR arguments in this and the NHL playoff thread than in years past? 

 

My favorite kind of internet message board post is "stop talking about things I don't care about and start talking about things I do."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finding myself down for rounds of fisking on an internet where disagreement is increasingly reduced to white guys posting gifs of black women reacting to things. Throwback Thursday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.