Tracy Jordan

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

11 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

I'd really like to meet the person that said it was The Raptors that were going to end Canada's championship drought. 😄

Not The Leafs

Not Montreal

Not Ottawa

Not the Blue Jays

The :censored:ing Raptors! 

How quickly we forget about the mighty Toronto FC.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1. If Durant doesn’t play, and they lose, does that validate them signing him since they would have needed him to win and he obv wasn’t joining a team that would always win even without him?

No. There are too many other factors contributing to GS losing, and 2015 already proved they didn't need him. 

7 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

People were getting ready to pencil in the Thunder for the NBA Finals in 2016 when they were up 3-1.

Things have looked different this year, but I don’t wanna be the guy to count the Warriors out. 

Except in the 2016 WCF the Dubs had games 5 & 7 at home. Not this time.

34 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

No. There are too many other factors contributing to GS losing, and 2015 already proved they didn't need him. 

In 2015 the Warriors played LeBron and Matthew Dellavedova. There's a giant asterisk on that Finals, about the same size as the one Warriors fans are likely to put on this year's if they lose.

And if you don't believe me, talk to the Warriors subset of fans who have strong words about Draymond's suspension and Steph's "injury" in 2016.

29 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

In 2015 the Warriors played LeBron and Matthew Dellavedova. There's a giant asterisk on that Finals, about the same size as the one Warriors fans are likely to put on this year's if they lose.

And if you don't believe me, talk to the Warriors subset of fans who have strong words about Draymond's suspension and Steph's "injury" in 2016.

Irving & Love both hurt in 2015. 

For as dominant as the Warriors have been, it's not inconceivable to think they could've ended this run with only one championship if Irving and Love don't get hurt in 2015 and Chris Paul doesn't get hurt in the WCF last season.

1 hour ago, See Red said:

For as dominant as the Warriors have been, it's not inconceivable to think they could've ended this run with only one championship if Irving and Love don't get hurt in 2015 and Chris Paul doesn't get hurt in the WCF last season.

Right. You play the teams in front of you, but as I've detailed in this thread previously all of the opponent injury luck Golden State has faced. The turntables have turned.

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The 2015 one is the run I remember most fondly, but you are correct. I'm putting no asterisk on this title, as the Raptors are simply that good and the Warriors are still playing franchise players. It's not like the stars are without decent backups (compared to what Lebron had in 2015 and 2018). 

Draymond had it coming (I made the Anthony Mason comparison before, but Anthony Mason would be less of a pissant on the court - he saved his debauchery for nightclub fisticuffs and one particular charge that was all but forgotten after he died), while Steph's wounds weren't particularly debilitating or problematic in the long-term. All it meant was that Houston and Portland got a minor boost.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:47 PM, See Red said:

I think the Chris Paul Narrative can get retired after CP3 and the Rockets lost in 6 with Durant out for 2 games

*waits for media to say "Golden State will win 3 in a row when KD returns" because it's going to happen*

KD is a gametime decision, which might explain why the line went from Toronto 3.5 to 1.5. I bought a point anyway to win if the Raptors win (I learned my lesson after taking the line game 7 against the Sixers).

I think Toronto wins even if Durant comes back. Kawhi is playing next level, Draymond has turned into poop, and Steph is ragged. Plus the building is going to be a zoo. If the Clippers could beat the full-strength Warriors, so can the Raptors.

Then again, who the hell knows.

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

KD is a gametime decision, which might explain why the line went from Toronto 3.5 to 1.5. I bought a point anyway to win if the Raptors win (I learned my lesson after taking the line game 7 against the Sixers).

I think Toronto wins even if Durant comes back. Kawhi is playing next level, Draymond has turned into poop, and Steph is ragged. Plus the building is going to be a zoo. If the Clippers could beat the full-strength Warriors, so can the Raptors.

Then again, who the hell knows.

I think Toronto will win too.  Had GS won game 4, my original prediction of GS in 6 would still be in the realm of possibility.  GS has to win 3 straight and I am not sure if they win 3 straight. 

Normally I’d say if the team in the Raptors’ position didn’t finish it off tonight, they’d lose in 7. But with how lights out Kawhi and the rest of the team have played, even with a loss tonight I could totally see them winning Game 6 in Oakland. KD’s return definitely complicates things though. 

Toronto is undefeated in Oakland this season. I don't think it gets to 7.

Pierce picked the Raps. Warriors in 7. 

I've never felt so nervous before a game. Regardless of sport.

With Durant back, my optimism for a Raptors title just faded.

Durant looks better than I thought he would, but the Raptors still have three games to win one, so I still like their chances.

3 minutes ago, See Red said:

Durant looks better than I thought he would, but the Raptors still have three games to win one, so I still like their chances.

He, Green, Klay and Looney each have 2 fouls already.

Durant opens up the floor so much for both Curry and Klay. They don't have a serviceable wing bench player. They (mis)spent their mid-level on Boogie this year and Swaggy P last year.