2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Tracy Jordan

36 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Alameda Sheriffs can go :censored: themselves

Crybaby aggro red-faced cop doesn't get to push people around and decides to press charges.

Masai is lucky 20,000 other people were around or who knows what could have happened with this idiot.

EDIT:

https://deadspin.com/alameda-county-sheriffs-office-wants-to-charge-raptors-1835519259

and...

ACSO better make a call to Lois The Pie Queen and FedEx a dozen to The Six as a peace offering. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following was a post from a friend of mine on Facebook. I believe it is worth sharing here.

Why was last night important?

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman

The last time a Canadian team won the championship of a major North American sporting league was 1993. (Sorry, Toronto FC). I was only five years old, Toronto was four hours away down a highway that was mostly two lanes, and I don't remember anything about Joe Carter's Series-ending blast at the time.

It's been 26 years since. It goes to show that unless you are privileged to support a sporting dynasty (like the New England Patriots and the very Golden State Warriors we've just bested), winning a championship is a once in a generation experience that brings a city together, regardless of its residents' gender, skin colour, sexuality, or age. We only get so many unifying moments like that in an increasingly unstable, fractured, and divided world. They are worth sharing.

We also know Toronto, in particular, has an ongoing narrative of sporting failure. We are haunted by that 2013 collapse against Boston in Game 7, by that missed Vince Carter buzzer beater in 2001. You see enough of those, and come to believe destiny does not favour you, that you don't have the opportunity to write your own happy ending. Perhaps you even start seeing those patterns in your own life.

But then moments like last night happen and those thoughts get pushed to the backburner.

Because those moments give us the strength and message, shared with others, to take into our own lives: that dragons -- or in this case, Warriors -- can be beaten.

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

So I wonder which one wears that title or even knows what the title is?  I would assume that Gronk has all of the WWE Titles the Patriots have accumulated. 

Most athletes are probably thinking "what the hell is this?"  I remember last year, one was given to the WNBA Champions Seattle Storm and star Sue Bird was wearing it and doing an impersonation of Randy Savage. 

Honestly, that's a cool title belt.

What Toronto did last night was usher in a new era for the NBA. It's going to be one of big unknowns... will Golden State return to power knowing that two of their best players are either done for 75% of the season (BTW, best of luck to Klay on his rehab... ACL injuries are no joke) or out for the entire season. Hell, will Durant even come back to the Warriors?

Can Houston or the Clippers or Denver or Portland take advantage of the situation?

2019-20 will be a weird year.

There's a non-insignificant chance Steph "hurts his ankle" early in the season, they tank for a top pick, and Steph/KD/Klay (and maybe Draymond if the Warriors want to pay the tax) all come back reloaded in 2020/21.

So we may get a two-year break from Golden State but they could easily come back with a vengeance for vengeance in a couple of years.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

31 minutes ago, Wings said:

So if the Warriors decide to max out KD & Klay despite the injuries, could they be looking at a 500 million combined for both and another 500 million for going over the cap?

*glares in Steinbrenner*

10 minutes ago, Wings said:

So if the Warriors decide to max out KD & Klay despite the injuries, could they be looking at a 500 million combined for both and another 500 million for going over the cap?

Not that much.

I mentioned an exemption in the NBA summer season thread, as there an ability for some cap relief next year due to injuries. 

Next season's salary plus tax would be about $345M and the 20-21 would run about $209M in salary alone with just Curry, Klay, Durant and a max deal Draymond.  Those four would be the only guys under contract. 

https://hoopshype.com/2019/06/14/golden-state-warriors-2019-offseason-goals-plans-free-agency/

The arena, which will open in September, is privately funded, but is basically already paid for and profitable. 

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

2019-20 will be a weird year.

There's a non-insignificant chance Steph "hurts his ankle" early in the season, they tank for a top pick, and Steph/KD/Klay (and maybe Draymond if the Warriors want to pay the tax) all come back reloaded in 2020/21.

So we may get a two-year break from Golden State but they could easily come back with a vengeance for vengeance in a couple of years.

You're not kidding.  Some Vegas books see Lakers as '19-20 favorites

IUe6Hvh.png

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

It's a team owned by Joe Lacob.

According to his long time previous comments, the Warriors are "on to the next idea".

Replying to my own quote as opposed to editing due to a Lacob quote from The Athletic* today in a story from Tim Kawakami.

*-Link to story even while behind paywall to keep ccslc out of (some) copyright issues

Curry is still the standard-bearer and Draymond Green is in his prime and signed for another season. But as the Warriors get set for their move to San Francisco next season, who else will be there next fall? What will the Warriors do now?

“I’ve already been talking with Bob in the back,” Lacob said. “We’re always thinking about the next step. But this is a little more complicated, frankly, because of all the injuries.”

Lacob was asked directly: Is this the end of the run?

“Well, I don’t know,” Lacob said. “I’m not that old. We’ve got a long way to go. I plan on owning this team for a long time. So I may have a little longer-term view than that, to be honest.

“It’s been a great seven-year playoff run and five-year Finals run and we have a lot to be proud of. And I think we’ll figure out a way. I think you can rest assured that we’ll figure out a way to be competitive going forward.”

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

If you want complaining...(NSFW)

This guy did it better.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Honestly, that's a cool title belt.

What Toronto did last night was usher in a new era for the NBA. It's going to be one of big unknowns... will Golden State return to power knowing that two of their best players are either done for 75% of the season (BTW, best of luck to Klay on his rehab... ACL injuries are no joke) or out for the entire season. Hell, will Durant even come back to the Warriors?

Can Houston or the Clippers or Denver or Portland take advantage of the situation?

Probably not Houston.  Clippers, Nuggets and Blazers could depending on who they get in free agency.  I could see San Antonio sneaking in because they will always have a shot as long as Pop is still their coach.  Utah could also somehow sneak in there as well, if they can add a few more pieces.  I see the Rockets and Thunder as being on the way down pretty fast if neither of them win the West next season.  I kind of expect Golden State to barely sneak in. 

25 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The Raptors' "North" jerseys actually look pretty slick. They're at least a million times better than the embarrassing sleeved Cavs jerseys from 2016.

The worst uniform a title was clinched in ever? Nothing else springs to mind.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The Raptors' "North" jerseys actually look pretty slick. They're at least a million times better than the embarrassing sleeved Cavs jerseys from 2016.

I like the overall look of the North unis, but they need to replace "NORTH" with either "TORONTO" or "RAPTORS"

"NORTH" is just....well I just like locales or team names on jerseys.

I heard this on my local radio station this afternoon:

- There are similarities between the 2011 NBA Finals and the 2019 NBA Finals.  You have two super teams (Miami in 2011 and GS in 2019) vs. 2 teams who were not supposed to be in the Finals (Dallas in 2011 and Toronto in 2019).  Both underdog teams won their NBA Titles in 6 games, both on the road. 

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's a prestige market in every other way except when it comes to NBA basketball, is what I meant. NBA free agents aren't lining up to sign with Toronto or Cleveland or Milwaukee or Memphis etc. Remember there was talk in the offseason that Kawhi was going to sit out this season rather than going to Toronto. If you want to win in one of those markets you have to do it through other more creative means.

Was that for real talk or talk like Zion going back to college because the media wants so badly for the Knicks to matter?

19 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Was that for real talk or talk like Zion going back to college because the media wants so badly for the Knicks to matter?

The reason for the talk of Zion going back to college also had to do with the perception of New Orleans in the NBA, which is the exact opposite of how the city is perceived the NFL. 

College Player Drafted to New Orleans Saints: I love New Orleans!  I get a chance to play with a Hall of Famer in Drew Brees and for Sean Payton.  It's a world class organization and a great city.

College Player Drafted to New Orleans Pelicans: I don't want to go there. Is there anyway they can trade me to a place where I want to play and live?

Five Years Later:

Saints Player is a Free Agent: I had so much fun playing for the Saints and living here that I want to spend the rest of my NFL career here.

Pelicans Player is a Free Agent: Thank god, I am out of here.

Archived