2019 Golf Thread

buzzcut

No thread on the current year of golf? On the day Tiger completed his comeback?

Well, like it or not, here it is...fore please!

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I watched this last round live. Bruh...that was something intense. To see how many people were tied for the lead at various points in the round--I think at one point four guys were all tied for the lead including Tiger by the 14th hole, and then to see Dustin Johnson master stroke himself into the leader group I think at 15. But yeah, I also saw where at least two of those young guys started to crack and lose it at 15, but when Tiger hit that tee shot off 16 and I watched that ball curve left toward that cup, I was like, "this is really finna happen".  Then ol' boy Koepka missed that birdie putt to tie him for the lead and at that point it was Tiger's to lose. I was glued to the TV just WAITING for shades of that old Tiger emotion to spill out after that final putt on 18 (dude's face stayed stoic right up until the end). Then he sank that final putt, and I was like "wait for it...wait for it...", he did that one little fist pump, then a second passed, and then--THEN them big ol' Tiger teeth shined again. And I don't bame him one bit...I can only imagine all of what must have came out of him plus lifted off him in that moment. I was so happy for him...but then when he ran up to hug his kids, his Mom--I lost it right there. Like, real certified man tears.

May sound silly, but me personally having some idea of what Tiger must have been feeling like all these years after his "big mistake", then all those years having passed wondering if he'd ever get back to this point and/or his "old self", I can relate. Then for it to happen all these many years later--redemption might be too light of a word. Whatever the case, that resonated with me on a personal level. Glad I got to see it live.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

PGA Championship moved to May, so that's in five weeks at Bethpage Black. I guess he'll play the Wells Fargo since he likes Quail Hollow, but he won't play the Byron Nelson the week before the PGA since he hasn't played the Nelson since 2005 when he missed the cut to break his made cut streak, plus it is now at Trinity Forest where he's never played.

The 12th hole is what did in the other challengers at the time. Koepka, Molinari and Finau all hit the water. That was when I felt TIger was going to win.Tiger played it mostly safe in the back 9 and let the others wilt under pressure.

I saw, I came, I left.

1 minute ago, DEAD! said:

The 12th hole is what did in the other challengers at the time. Koepka, Molinari and Finau all hit the water. That was when I felt TIger was going to win.Tiger played it mostly safe in the back 9 and let the others wilt under pressure.

Right. I was watching all that and was like, "what is going on with all these guys?" Looked like they were getting stage fright or something. That said, right up to the 15th hole, they were all still in contention, but then when ol' boy double-bogeyed and the other (I can't remember his name) missed into the sandtrap, I was like "here it goes". I think that's when Dustin Johnson shot himself briefly into the leader group as well. Yet Koepka still had a chance to tie Tiger for the outright lead, but when he missed that birdie putt...hoo boy.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

The 12th hole is what did in the other challengers at the time. Koepka, Molinari and Finau all hit the water. That was when I felt TIger was going to win.Tiger played it mostly safe in the back second 9 and let the others wilt under pressure.

FIFY

On 4/19/2019 at 3:09 AM, rainmaker17 said:

Why do we have to embrace this?  He was a major jackass for years, womanizer, sh#t husband and smug individual.  

It's ok to not like him. The significant event was his first Masters win in 14 years. 

On 4/19/2019 at 2:09 AM, rainmaker17 said:

Why do we have to embrace this?  He was a major jackass for years, womanizer, sh#t husband and smug individual.  

I view him as the world views the Yankees. Everyone wants him to be near the top, because for some reason the world makes more sense to them when that's what's happening. It always irked me when Woods would miss a cut and that was the bigger story than the 44 other golfers that were still playing the rest of the weekend. Golf has done a poor job of making their younger stars into as big a name as Tiger. So much so that the most interesting story that I can remember before the Masters was the golfer who paid his caddy a pittance, then got taken to the shed by everyone else for not paying a higher percentage when he won the tournament. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I view him as the world views the Yankees. Everyone wants him to be near the top, because for some reason the world makes more sense to them when that's what's happening. It always irked me when Woods would miss a cut and that was the bigger story than the 44 other golfers that were still playing the rest of the weekend. Golf has done a poor job of making their younger stars into as big a name as Tiger. So much so that the most interesting story that I can remember before the Masters was the golfer who paid his caddy a pittance, then got taken to the shed by everyone else for not paying a higher percentage when he won the tournament. 

You cannot blame the USGA or the PGA Tour for that since NO golfer since Tiger became a professional with even 25% the amateur success and media attention.  Tiger won six consecutive USGA amateur national titles (3 USGA Junior Amateurs and 3 USGA Amateurs).  Since then, no golfer has won multiple US Amateurs, but Jordan Spieth went back to back at Juniors.   Woods also had Nike money pushing the train pretty early with first apparel, then later into the equipment business, which they just left.  It kinda also helps to win and many of those targeted to be next don't win at all (see Ty Tryon) or disappoint in the majors, like Ricky Fowler, who is now 30.  Fowler has gotten most of the attention commercially since Tiger's last big year in 2013, but he folds under pressure in the majors.  Tiger is so transcendent that you watch for him, then go on with your life.  The "golf bubble" bursts and tries to inflate every 10-12 years but the decline is much more real this time.  

Spieth's just 25 and looked to be the next "guy" with Under Armour behind them but he's fallen flat in the last two seasons.  Rory is only 29, and Spieth's buddies like Brooks Koepka (28), Justin Thomas (25), Bryson DeChambeau (25) and Patrick Cantlay (27) are all next up. 

• 1 month later...

Archived