My College Football Concept Dump (Hand Drawn) Oklahoma State 1/8

jn8

So we saw what Michigan State rolled out a few days ago. Not the best. Personally, I find the size of the wordmark to be the biggest issue, no pun intended. The lime green actually pairs well with their current green, IMO, so while I don’t think they need to use it (if they want an alternate they should use the bronze and black set they had not too long ago), but the basketball team has used neon, so I guess they want to make it a thing and I’m trying to help them out a bit. 

I’ve got two designs, both are working within the confines of the current home and road uniforms (AKA: I’m not designing this from scratch, just recoloring). The first one is more restricted, the second throws it all in your face. Both use just “STATE” on the front, because that’s what the actual neon alternate used so I kept it, just a lot smaller. Without further ado, here they are:

JJCoSqn.jpg

rQ0IOhX.jpg

Is it better than what they actually went with? That’s not up to me, that’s for you guys to judge

Literally was putting something along these lines together. I mean, there's no such thing as bad press, so I know they intentionally went overboard with the font size. The lime and dark green definitely can be put together in a more "natural" way. I love what you have here other than I'd still like to see the lime pants with the dark jersey. At least that's what I was putting together.

XcryMwi.png

First off, your drawings are excellent. Second, I don't think you go wrong with either of your designs. As HRC4 said, I wonder what your designs with a dark green jersey and lime green pants would look like. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

So it’s about 5:30am, I couldn’t fall asleep tonight, and I really loved Maryland’s spring game helmets. What’s all this mean when put together? A new concept! Seriously though these were amazing. They looked great with numbers and they’d probably look good with the M logo swapped in as well, but, in my opinion, neither come close to the Terps script. And that’s what I went with. Also made some tweaks to the jerseys, limiting the flag pattern to a small stripe on the sleeve instead of the whole sleeve cap and adding a turtle patch in its place. It’s one of the most unique names in sports, why is it not used ANYWHERE in their current branding? Unfortunately, the picture I based my rendering off of didn’t show the pants (I was more focused on getting a good shot of the helmet), so those aren’t visible, but would likely have the helmet stripe on the side. Maybe I’ll do a full set, but for now this is what I got:

2qw0cYr.jpg

Thoughts?

18 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

The terp on the shoulder be facing the other way

Fixed (except on the already finished red jersey)

14 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I would love to see a red helmet option with the “Terps” mark. 

Done!

Here's an update with a full set;

C2MvvA3.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

So I finished finals and got moved back home about a week ago, so I’ve been digging around in my room, looking at old stuff I haven’t seen in a while. One of the things I came across was an old sketchbook that I probably used from about 2014 until 2016 full of some concepts I did somewhere between the ages of 14 and 16. My initial thoughts when I saw the cover was “Hey, maybe I can post some old concepts and add some player models to go with them!” But then I opened it. Good Lord, I wish I could go back and beat up my younger self. I’m honestly embarrassed by most of it. However, if I didn’t find SOMETHING to take from it, what would be the point of this post? Enter Oregon:

ZaN6MAY.jpg

As a kid, I was a big Oregon fan simply because they had a lot of uni combinations, and I still follow them pretty closely because of that, but I felt after they ditched the Mariota era uniforms, everything went downhill. I’m not totally sure when this was completed, but if I’m remembering correctly, it was sometime in early 2016. The wings on the shoulder are the ones on these unis from Mariota’s final season, in which some contrasted from the base, while others blended in, which gave me the idea to incorporate the stripes from the classic uniforms. Now here’s my update which I just finished tonight:

Lfd8EMs.jpg

Alterations from the original version:

-Solid color facemask. When I was younger I thought the dual-colored facemask was cool, I’ve since changed my mind. 

-No number outlines. I don’t feel they’re necessary on this set. If anything, the white and yellow blurred together, so dropping them looks better visually, in my opinion. 

-No pants feathers. I didn’t like how they looked, so they’re gone, replaced with an-O logo. The classic set didn’t have them, so I guess it’s more in line with tradition that way. 

I’ll probably do a player in the white and yellow jerseys too, but I’m thinking I’ll drop the black elements. One question I have is the white helmet, is it necessary? I’m leaning towards no, but I’m open to suggestions on that

On 5/10/2019 at 4:06 AM, jn8 said:

I’ll probably do a player in the white and yellow jerseys too, but I’m thinking I’ll drop the black elements. One question I have is the white helmet, is it necessary? I’m leaning towards no, but I’m open to suggestions on that

I feel like since Oregon has been using Black uniform elements for as long as they have been, they wouldn't drop it from rotation, so I would keep them. 

I would keep the White helmet as well, they love the all white look

On 5/13/2019 at 7:58 AM, shstpt1 said:

I feel like since Oregon has been using Black uniform elements for as long as they have been, they wouldn't drop it from rotation, so I would keep them. 

I would keep the White helmet as well, they love the all white look

Fair enough, but whether or not they’d actually drop the black or not in real life isn’t the question😝 Personally, without adding black to the other elements, I don’t feel like the black set can mix well with anything, so I feel like it’s okay to drop it. I also like the simplicity of green, yellow, and white. Black would muddy things up. If you really want to see it though, I can make it up quick. 

As for the white helmet, while I don’t use it in my mock-up (below), I’d still say it’s part of the set, despite it not appearing. Again, if anyone wants to see it I can get it done. Anyway:

58ckJ6L.jpg

Everything here received the same tweaks as I described above. Like I said, I didn’t draw the white helmet here, but it still exists. 

Archived