LMU

2019 NHL Country Club (offseason)

We can start with some decent news for the team that takes my money.

The pretty logical assumption was that the Sabres were looking for an experienced head coach after whiffing on a hire that had no previous NHL head coaching experience. Now, with Quenneville, Vigneault, and McLellan off the board, that leaves... *crickets chirp*

4 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

The pretty logical assumption was that the Sabres were looking for an experienced head coach after whiffing on a hire that had no previous NHL head coaching experience. Now, with Quenneville, Vigneault, and McLellan off the board, that leaves... *crickets chirp*

Lindy Ruff II: Gettin' Ruffer

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Lindy Ruff II: Gettin' Ruffer

It has been mentioned, but we just did Ted Nolan 2: Electric Boogaloo. Bringing Ruff back would be truly desperate; he really hasn’t had any success since leaving Buffalo.

Red Wings brings back their prodigal son as they name Steve Yzerman General Manager. 

crazy that he's back as the GM... I thought for sure he would be team president with Holland retained.

initiate phase 2 

Pavel_Datsyuk_Injury_Miss_Start_Of_2015_

As a Lightning fan, I cant fault him for going back to The D.  He did so much for the Wings and just needed an opportunity to show his stuff, and the Lightning allowed him to rebuild and refresh our franchise.

I look forward to that Detroit-TB rivalry again in the coming years.

The Philadelphia Flyers had to unperson Kate Smith. They have a black sheet hung over her statue. I can't believe this stuff anymore.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Philadelphia Flyers had to unperson Kate Smith. They have a black sheet hung over her statue. I can't believe this stuff anymore.

Maybe she shouldn't have recorded those racist songs. I get that it was the 1930s, but that's hardly an excuse for this:

Someone had to pick the cotton,
Someone had to pick the corn,
Someone had to slave and be able to sing,
That’s why darkies were born;

I'm sure she didn't mean it to be racist (an homage to plantation songs?), but it's a black mark on her character. 

Well, if they were playing that song before Flyers games, I think it'd be a real problem. But this is a reach. Were we really thinking of Kate Smith as an instrument of white supremacy?

I don't know when this happened, but I found it too funny...

DQFmdtKVQAA-uYH.jpg

Apparently, the Yzerman thing was not Ken Holland's idea. 😂

This hurt to watch.

Probably doesn't warrant its own thread, but the IIHF World Championship is running now and for once I have a rooting interest and can actually watch the games. Team Great Britain are in the top Division for the first time since 1994, but I doubt they'll do very well against a bunch of offseason NHLers.

Putin scores 10 goals last night in an exhibition game with former NHL players, then fell on his face during a victory lap.spacer.png

(not the onion, it’s real)

1 hour ago, LMU said:

Paging @Still MIGHTY

Few months too late, really. He went through absolute hell just to walk, let alone skate and play at an "NHL" level.

Him being out for the season? Basically according to plan. I doubt he ever plays a game again in the NHL. Even if he could, I wouldn't want him to because 1) without the ability to be physical, he sucks now and 2) for his own personal quality of life, there's no reason to push that hip any farther than its gone. He'll join the LTIR along the likes of Chris Pronger, Pavel Datsyuk, etc. Contract will come off the books at some point and that'll be that.

Opens up a spot for the crop of young kids that are tearing it up in San Diego. Thanks for your service, Kes.

And we want PK back, so it would be a win-win.

D6iIdrkXoAUXxFI.png