oldschoolvikings

NFL draft picks in new jerseys 2019

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Theisman could not have said no.  Come on - what would people say if a guy was like "nope, sorry kid, I just don't think you're worthy of my number"?  Then, when the next kid asks, and he says "yes", then that opens the door to a million other questions.

It puts him in a bad spot, and shouldn't happen.  If Theisman himself offered it then that's totally fine, but if the kid was like "7 means so much to me, I wore it both years I played in college", then piss on him.

It’s like the “does this make me look fat?” question. Even if it does, you can’t say so, and even if Theisman didn’t want Haskins to wear his number there’s no way for him to say no without sounding like a douche. It’s a no-win situation 

How is it no-win? Theismann is a legend. Haskins is unproven. I think if you're number is retired, you have every right to say, "No." Joe earned that respect. Dwayne hasn't played down one. 

And while I agree with Vet's opinion, wishing Haskins physical harm is low...and uncalled for.

The number 7 is associated with a Redskins legend. I'm not saying the number straight-up shouldn't have been given to Haskins, but if he ends up being a bust, it's going to tarnish it.

53 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The number 7 is associated with a Redskins legend. I'm not saying the number straight-up shouldn't have been given to Haskins, but if he ends up being a bust, it's going to tarnish it.

Or it'll be back on the shelf and they'll move on to the next guy. Randy Moss is synonymous with #84 in Minnesota and even though it's still in use no one views the number as tarnished, they just say that guy isn't living up to Randy Moss's standard. 

Randy Moss is no Joe Theismann.

53 minutes ago, Jimmy! said:

What? Randy Moss is top 3 at his position of all time. Who the hell is Joe Theismann? Guy was average at best.

I can't say that I'm really a big fan of retiring numbers. I say let Haskins wear the number 7 because even if he is a bust, it's not going to ruin number, it will just be more history added to it. I'm a NASCAR but didn't really start watching until 2001. Although I never saw Richard Petty race, he is obviously one of the greatest drivers ever. His 43 is still out on the track and its lack of success doesn't make me think any less of his legacy, I see it as an honor and hopefully new fans will learn about The King after seeing it. The same goes for Austin Dillon in the 3 or even William Byron who is almost running the exact same car as Jeff Gordon. I think I Dale Jr. said it best years ago, that the numbers dont really belong to anybody and people just get to deposit history into them like a bank.

2 hours ago, Moseph said:

I can't say that I'm really a big fan of retiring numbers. I say let Haskins wear the number 7 because even if he is a bust, it's not going to ruin number, it will just be more history added to it. I'm a NASCAR but didn't really start watching until 2001. Although I never saw Richard Petty race, he is obviously one of the greatest drivers ever. His 43 is still out on the track and its lack of success doesn't make me think any less of his legacy, I see it as an honor and hopefully new fans will learn about The King after seeing it. The same goes for Austin Dillon in the 3 or even William Byron who is almost running the exact same car as Jeff Gordon. I think I Dale Jr. said it best years ago, that the numbers dont really belong to anybody and people just get to deposit history into them like a bank.

Maybe for nascar which has a choice of 1-100 numbers for over 1000 racers in the history. Where as football has 45 players on a team, and let’s say 22-30 that have true roster spots, hell, probably even lower, but still, multiply that by all the teams, 22x32 and ya get 704 players, now for all the numbers each one of those players could be, you have 101 (including 0 and 00) possible numbers for each player multiply that by each team, 101x32, you have 3,232. That’s per every year, a player has 3,232 options of a number to pick. Let’s say that player becomes a legend, like Randy Moss or Joe Theismann, retire those two numbers, the players still have 3,230 numbers to chose from. Yes occasionally you’ll get a situation like this where Haskins wants the number 7 but he’s got (idk how many other retired numbers there are) approx. 90 other numbers to chose from? I don’t think he should’ve gotten the number. It’s not like nascar where there’s only 100 numbers and much more drivers. No football has plenty of room to retire a few and respect them.

15 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Maybe for nascar which has a choice of 1-100 numbers for over 1000 racers in the history. Where as football has 45 players on a team, and let’s say 22-30 that have true roster spots, hell, probably even lower, but still, multiply that by all the teams, 22x32 and ya get 704 players, now for all the numbers each one of those players could be, you have 101 (including 0 and 00) possible numbers for each player multiply that by each team, 101x32, you have 3,232. That’s per every year, a player has 3,232 options of a number to pick. Let’s say that player becomes a legend, like Randy Moss or Joe Theismann, retire those two numbers, the players still have 3,230 numbers to chose from. Yes occasionally you’ll get a situation like this where Haskins wants the number 7 but he’s got (idk how many other retired numbers there are) approx. 90 other numbers to chose from? I don’t think he should’ve gotten the number. It’s not like nascar where there’s only 100 numbers and much more drivers. No football has plenty of room to retire a few and respect them.

But Haskins doesn't have 90 numbers to choose from, he is a QB so he is limited to 1-19. 7 and 9 have been out of circulation for a long time so now that leaves him with 17 numbers available. Take into account the players that already have numbers and will most likely make the team and it gets much smaller. You can take away 3, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, and 18. Now that leaves him with 9 options to choose from. While that's still a lot to pick from, I dont see what's wrong with him wanting to continue using a number that means something to him. I know I'm in the minority but I wouldn't care of Landon Collins got 21 either.

4 hours ago, Jimmy! said:

You're right. Joe Theismann had a few good years, won a Super Bowl on the back of a huge fullback, then sustained one of the most famous career-ending injuries in sports history. He was beloved in Washington and still is, but his ultimate legacy is that of a decent quarterback, one of three to win Super Bowls under Joe Gibbs, and probably the best of the three career-wise, but still not a Hall of Fame-quality player.

Randy Moss made the Hall of Fame on his first ballot, and having played a position at which worthy players often struggle to get in at all (look at his former teammate Cris Carter, or at Art Monk, or at Isaac Bruce who still isn't in), but his attitude rubbed some people the wrong way and I'd imagine his legacy in Minnesota is more mixed than Theismann's in Washington.

To sum up: Moss was a much better player but is less universally beloved.

On 4/30/2019 at 1:03 PM, AstroBull21 said:

Bucs announced their draft pick numbers with a caricature sketch.. first rounder Devin White went with 41.

D5WY28hWkAA7tIX.jpg

Every combination except red over white is represented.

8 hours ago, Jimmy! said:

How is it no-win? Theismann is a legend. Haskins is unproven. I think if you're number is retired, you have every right to say, "No." Joe earned that respect. Dwayne hasn't played down one. 

And while I agree with Vet's opinion, wishing Haskins physical harm is low...and uncalled for.

I wish injury to plenty of athletes.  He's just probably the youngest.  Not sorry.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:18 PM, VikWings said:

Should have been retired by now, especially after they put him in their Ring Of Honor in 2017, but no point of getting mad about giving to Smith, a 2nd round pick, when since Moss left it's also been given to:

Aundrae Allison

Michael Jenkins

Cordarelle Patterson

Bucky Hodges

and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's been another preseason fodder guy or two whose worn it as well that I can't remember.

To be fair, Bucky Hodges will join Moss in the HOF soon.

16 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

To be fair, Bucky Hodges will join Moss in the HOF soon.

Are you crazy?

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Are you crazy?

No, just sarcastic. I had never even heard of Hodges before this thread.

12 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

You're right. Joe Theismann had a few good years, won a Super Bowl on the back of a huge fullback, then sustained one of the most famous career-ending injuries in sports history. He was beloved in Washington and still is, but his ultimate legacy is that of a decent quarterback, one of three to win Super Bowls under Joe Gibbs, and probably the best of the three career-wise, but still not a Hall of Fame-quality player.

Randy Moss made the Hall of Fame on his first ballot, and having played a position at which worthy players often struggle to get in at all (look at his former teammate Cris Carter, or at Art Monk, or at Isaac Bruce who still isn't in), but his attitude rubbed some people the wrong way and I'd imagine his legacy in Minnesota is more mixed than Theismann's in Washington.

To sum up: Moss was a much better player but is less universally beloved.

Agree to disagree.

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I wish injury to plenty of athletes.  He's just probably the youngest.  Not sorry.

Gross. 

Lifelong Skins fan. Indifferent to Theismann. Don't care if the team let's someone else wear 7.

With that said, I'd raise hell if the team ever entertained the thought of letting somebody wear 28 *shrug*