NFL draft picks in new jerseys 2019

1 hour ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I really dont like the whole idea of retiring numbers

The only cases I'm fine with is Jackie Robinson, because it's a historic moment for the league. But at one point, a team is going to run out of available numbers for each position... like the Yankees have ALL single digit numbers retired. A team can also bring the number back into rotation like Washington just did, but then it begs the question... why even bother retiring it?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The only cases I'm fine with is Jackie Robinson, because it's a historic moment for the league. But at one point, a team is going to run out of available numbers for each position... like the Yankees have ALL single digit numbers retired. A team can also bring the number back into rotation like Washington just did, but then it begs the question... why even bother retiring it?

Or they just go the route in which the "jersey" is retired and the number stays in rotation. 

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/nba-the-5-most-random-retired-jerseys-of-all-time-123116

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Yeah, it was a fine notion in earlier years but as time goes on, you'll eventually run out of numbers.  It's less problematic for sports like the NBA (15-man roster) versus the NFL (53-man roster), but it's still an issue.  

I also agree about Jackie Robinson.  There are some landmark exceptions to retiring numbers and in Robinson's case, it's league-wide.  But in general teams need a better solution.  Or just go the IPv6 route and open up 3 or 4 digit numbers. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

17 hours ago, Gupti said:

Then the Bears are already well on their way to making this a reality.

spacer.png

I believe that was an April Fool's gag:

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-to-wear-triple-digit-jerseys-in-2019

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

So since it’s clear that the 3-digit thing wasn’t a joke or anything 🙄, hows this going to work as far as positions go?

So would 500-799 and 900-999 be ineligible? Or would it just be #50-#79 and #90-#99?

So 265 would be for a guard, while 224 would be a RB?

or do they go more granular and say that the 300-series is just CBs, 400s = safeties, 500s LB, etc?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So since it’s clear that the 3-digit thing wasn’t a joke or anything 🙄, hows this going to work as far as positions go?

So would 500-799 and 900-999 be ineligible? Or would it just be #50-#79 and #90-#99?

So 265 would be for a guard, while 224 would be a RB?

or do they go more granular and say that the 300-series is just CBs, 400s = safeties, 500s LB, etc?

I think you really have everything on the table at that point.

#101-110 for shotgun quarterbacks

#111-120 for scramblers

#980-989 for WRs who only run routes when they get the ball 

#990-999 for WRs who don't block

UyDgMWP.jpg

On 5/5/2019 at 12:47 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I wish injury to plenty of athletes.  He's just probably the youngest.  Not sorry.

And he’s going with “Jr.” 

I really hope he has a career ender on day 1. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dwayne’s worn No. 7 since Pop Warner, not just “two” years of college (he was at Ohio State for three, by the way). He’s a great kid who obviously asked to wear the number out of respect — not because he needed to — and I’m looking forward to him breaking every one of Theismann’s records. 

21 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Dwayne’s worn No. 7 since Pop Warner, not just “two” years of college (he was at Ohio State for three, by the way). He’s a great kid who obviously asked to wear the number out of respect — not because he needed to — and I’m looking forward to him breaking every one of Theismann’s records. 

This isn't what's usually being discussed when someone puts the words "breaking" and "Theismann" in the same sentence.

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

I’m OK with Haskins wearing 7 if Theismann lets him (which by all accounts, he did)...Frank Tripuka let Peyton Manning wear 18, despite the “rookie vs. future HOF-er” difference). If I were Haskins, I’d be inclined to slap a 1 in front of the 7 and go with 17, if available.

(Of course, I’d be the type of player who would prefer to make his own path and go with an available/legal number that few franchise players, if any, have worn, but that’s just me.)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

3 hours ago, Ark said:

BringBackTheVet, your take is an incredibly bad one.

It’s not. All this “jr”, “II”, “III”, “SR”, etc is garbage. It’s look at me “I’m special” garbage. You’re not Sr. unless Jr is in the league with you. Nobody cares that you’re named for your uncle or whatever and want to have “II” after your name. If you don’t sign checks with it then it shouldn’t be on your jersey (unless we’re going full XFL, which I’m totally fine with). 

Maybe numbers shouldn’t be out of circulation, but if they are, leave it that way. I’ll pray to every god that he dislocates an ankle during his first season, preferably in a game I’m watching.  

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If you don’t sign checks with it then it shouldn’t be on your jersey.

Can’t imagine he has a different signature for checks... though, who uses checks in an age of direct deposit and Apple Pay/Venmo beside your grandma on your birthday? 

Archived