vtgco

Seattle Mariners Refresh

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, I'm excited to share this refresh for my hometown Seattle Mariners!

 

display_page.png

I think the Mariners have an outstanding identity (compass rose, beautiful colors) but currently have lots of execution issues (endless outlines, disjointed elements, and strange line weights). 

I tried to combine the current and retro wordmarks, and keep it all a bit simpler.

 

 

jersey_home.png jersey_road.png

jersey_green.png jersey_blue.png jersey_fauxback.png

The main uniforms have wave striping on the sleeves, and drop shadows on the text. The arched lowercase "Seattle" on powder blue is inspired by early Mariners road jerseys. The Sunday alt is based on the inaugural uniform. The jersey template is by rsaline.

 

Here's a quick edit of the Mariners website:

website_display.png

 

Please, let me know what you think! Thanks for looking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, nice work! This is a really solid update of the Mariners’ identity. The ocean wave striping on the sleeves is inspired!

 

My one concern is the green you chose comes dangerously close to the retro shade the A’s have been using (and that they may go back to full time sooner rather than later) that it might be odd to have them both playing in the same division. But on its own terms, it works really well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it! Only thing i'm not a big fan of is the helmet and cap logo being different, and also the helmet should maybe have a green bill as well. The fauxback should probably have its own helmet, since the regular helmet is mismatched in color and style.

 

On 4/28/2019 at 11:09 AM, coco1997 said:

(and that they may go back to full time sooner rather than later) 

Do you know something or is this just a guess? Love the kelly green much more then the forest green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

I like it! Only thing i'm not a big fan of is the helmet and cap logo being different, and also the helmet should maybe have a green bill as well. And the fauxback should probably have its own helmet, since the regular helmet is mismatched in color and style.

Glad you like it! I wanted to include the partial logo somewhere, so I put it on the helmet, but the S logo works just as well! As for the fauxback helmet, I guess that, with all the talk about the NFL one-helmet rule, I forgot that MLB teams could have multiple! 😋

cvu6znc.pngR9Lpmfx.png

 

 

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Hey, nice work! This is a really solid update of the Mariners’ identity. The ocean wave striping on the sleeves is inspired!

 

My one concern is the green you chose comes dangerously close to the retro shade the A’s have been using (and that they may go back to full time sooner rather than later) that it might be odd to have them both playing in the same division. But on its own terms, it works really well!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm partial to the A's in forest green (it contrasts well with their yellow) but mostly I wanted a vibrant emerald green for the Mariners. Too often, the team's current shade comes out as a light blue color rather than green.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if it’s intentional but this set has some sort of retro-y vibe. With the drop shadow effect and the silvery-blue away. Whatever it is I really like it, especially the green. I always thought the mariners should adopt a green and blue color scheme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the set by itself is godlike, but i don't know how it'd fit with the rest of the MLB tho lol.

good work, this looks great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Meshmaster101 said:

the set by itself is godlike, but i don't know how it'd fit with the rest of the MLB tho lol.

good work, this looks great

Thank you, I'm happy to hear you like it! Yeah, it's a little bit untraditional, but I think maybe it fits with the aesthetics of teams like the Marlins or Phillies.

Here it is with the rest of the teams; maybe that'll help:

in_mlb_logos.png

 

On 4/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I don’t know if it’s intentional but this set has some sort of retro-y vibe. With the drop shadow effect and the silvery-blue away. Whatever it is I really like it, especially the green. I always thought the mariners should adopt a green and blue color scheme

I'm glad the retro inspiration came through here! It's kinda supposed to be a mix of the current wordmark with the inaugural 1977 wordmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The partial logo looks great. I like how simple it is and how it can easily be recognized as the Mariners identity on its own, its an improvement on the current one too. Overall, the designs looks clean and modern with twist of the past with the word mark style. I want to see how the yellow will look on the home, away and alt but I'm thinking its unnecessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, StrongXStyle said:

I want to see how the yellow will look on the home, away and alt but I'm thinking its unnecessary. 

While I agree that it would be redundant in the main set above, yellow on the primary set looks pretty good on its own. Maybe for Spring Training?

05-02_yellow_home.png05-02_yellow_away.png

 

9 hours ago, StrongXStyle said:

The partial logo looks great. I like how simple it is and how it can easily be recognized as the Mariners identity on its own, its an improvement on the current one too.

Yeah, I wish the Mariners would use the compass rose alone more often IRL. Here's an alt cap with my version!

rNGZIyd.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 8:05 AM, Hobogrish said:

I would love to see the Mariners use something like this logo from http://supernaturalsandwiches.com/

 

rid the trident and find a different solution or flip the trident 🔱 so it is the “lucky” way. The down trident needs to go...

 I would like to see them use the trident logo for home wins like the Cubs do with W flag. Seem more fitting and I think it maintains the logo history of the trident without needing to change it. 

2901.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 2:00 AM, Meshmaster101 said:

the set by itself is godlike, but i don't know how it'd fit with the rest of the MLB tho lol.

good work, this looks great

Well he’d just have to do the rest of the mlb then! I’m for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.