Arena Football News & Updates

On 4/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, Sykotyk said:

He's been heavily involved in the Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village that's basically a giant scam on the city of Canton. The school district signed over their stadium to them with condition they could use it but the hall won't let the team use the locker rooms. Insisting that a new locker room be built for the school but still haven't built it. And the new stadium still isn't finished. And all the houses they bought have basically left an open hole around the hall now. 

I wonder if that was part of the $2.5 million Malone saved by killing off football. If they had to rent the stadium AND locker rooms it would add up over time. That and a team that hadn't won at least 4 games in over a decade, and building a sports complex for lacrosse, soccer, softball and baseball made it an easy decision.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder if that was part of the $2.5 million Malone saved by killing off football. If they had to rent the stadium AND locker rooms it would add up over time. That and a team that hadn't won at least 4 games in over a decade, and building a sports complex for lacrosse, soccer, softball and baseball made it an easy decision.

Could be. I had figured rent might be the big reason for ending the football team. Back when it was just another tenant of a high school stadium it probably didn't cost much at all. 

5 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Could be. I had figured rent might be the big reason for ending the football team. Back when it was just another tenant of a high school stadium it probably didn't cost much at all. 

Walsh still plays there but they aren't dealing with the initial costs of building lacrosse teams or a multi-use facility. That's the bigger cost in the end. Sadly, they may finally get a guy to play in the NFL and his school no longer offers football. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/29/2019 at 9:29 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Indeed it is.  I am still trying to work out how to fit the Streets' logo into my sig.  It is a nice logo that is meant to resemble a manhole cover.

logo-ny-streets.png

And, because the team's online store is inoperatve, I have been in touch with someone at their offices in an effort to buy a cap and a polo shirt.

I'd like to get a t-shirt, let me know if you have any success.  But just having New York Streets on gear by itself is kinda vague, I hope there is the word Football or something to connect it to the sport.

Yea their website is terrible.  The top picture seems like a generic football pic, and the body background is a practice squad?  On my computer it's just two heads.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'd like to get a t-shirt, let me know if you have any success. 

My contact in the team's offices tells me to tell you to send an email to  Brandon.Glogau@nystreetsfootball.com.

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

But just having New York Streets on gear by itself is kinda vague, I hope there is the word Football or something to connect it to the sport.

That's good for a t-shirt. But I am going to buy a hat that has just the manhole cover logo that you see above, with no additional text. I am also hoping to buy a polo shirt. That probably has the circular logo with the team name below it; though, to be honest, I would actually prefer if it just had the circular NY logo.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

These are good ideas. But I propose a radical reform to make arena football even more interesting: the elimination of first downs. Just have a single reset line at midfield; a team has four downs to get to that line, and then four more downs to get to the endzone. This way there would be a serious doubt about whether a team could score on any given possession. 

As someone that hates high scoring offensive shootouts in regular football where the defenses are non-factors, my biggest gripe against arena/indoor football is how easy it is to score and the basketball like final scores you see regularly. I would love to see your idea become a reality.

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The Arena League got too big, tried to be major with 7-figure salaries and left their smaller markets behind -- or worse -- banished them to the af2. It's better as several regional leagues. Might be cool to have a 4-team IFL-AFL-CIF-NAL-whoever champion playoff someday. Or if even two leagues did it. But everybody needs the rebound nets. 😀 The patent expired!

The sport is not what it used to be at its peak -- or rise. But it can be entertaining. Just not electrifying, in my experience. 

I mean aren't some leagues paying $500 a game these days? Rough way to chase a dream.

• Like 1

Another thing.....I am sure that if one indoor league folds, there will be 100 more announced to take it's place. The ideal scenario is one super Indoor league via a merger of multiple leagues, but that isn't going to ever happen.

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Another thing.....I am sure that if one indoor league folds, there will be 100 more announced to take it's place. The ideal scenario is one super Indoor league via a merger of multiple leagues, but that isn't going to ever happen.

No. The ideal is multiple regional leagues with minimal travel to save on costs.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:
8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The ideal scenario is one super Indoor league via a merger of multiple leagues, but that isn't going to ever happen.

No. The ideal is multiple regional leagues with minimal travel to save on costs.

You can have a large league and still save on travel costs, simply by not having games between teams in far-flung locations. 

The MASL does it the right way. That league has an Eastern Conference and a Western Conference, but no inter-conference play. So San Diego never visits Baltimore. 

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So there's a need for 1,000 indoor regional leagues?

I'd say it works on the same level of full field semi-pro football. With smaller teams you can travel farther so your region can expand farther than in semi-pro. It also allows you to pay the players something, and that almost never happens in semi-pro. I'm still trying to figure out how a team that plays in Austin and shares a field with another team in the league can call itself San Antonio?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So there's a need for 1,000 indoor regional leagues?

Because that is clearly what I said [/sarcasm]

The Super Indoor League that you desire would require huge travel costs, which can lead to huge expenses, or require them to ride a bus, which can cause a team to be worn out prior to playing.

A smaller footprint makes travel less of an issue, which makes money less of an issue.  @MJWalker45 is correct in pointing out that smaller rosters make travel easier, however. Having been involved with lower level indoor teams, bus travel from Madison to Cincinnati makes for a worn out team in the league championship.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

Only way I can see some sort of interleague play work is if these leagues had a championship tournament to determine the best team in indoor football. 

The real question for that though would be why? 

On 5/13/2019 at 11:28 AM, GDAWG said:

Not a super league idea, but some fans over at Arenafan are suggesting that the NAL merge with the AAL or even the IFL.  They are not optimistic that the NAL will be back in 2020. 

On 5/13/2019 at 1:57 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Well that sucks.  I finally found an arena team to like.

I think if they were to kill off the league, Massachusetts and New York would be better off trying to move into the AFL and the others join up with the AAL. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Arena Football League seems to be stable, at least this season, with the additions of Columbus and Atlanta and the IFL is also a bit more stable, with the additions of Tucson, Quad City, San Diego and Bismarck, although that seems shaky.  Every other indoor league has lost teams.  The CIF lost Bismarck and Quad City to the IFL and The Texas Revolution folded a few weeks ago, 5 weeks into the 2019 season.  The AAL lost the Florida Tarpons and High County Grizzlies before the season and the Georgia Doom and New England Bobcats during the season.  The NAL lost Lehigh Valley and Maine before the season and also one of the men who was responsible for the NAL, Jeff Bouchy left in March. 

This doesn't happen in outdoor football.