Sign in to follow this  
BroncoBuff

LOGOS: Hipster Mod or Old-Fashioned?

aUgCyp9.png

This is a very philosophical topic obviously, but one I hope to be addressed as a binary choice:

I've always been curious how professional (and pro-wannabe) guys look at this. And now very recently, one of these logos caused me to do an about face on how I feel about the difference between Old-fashioned and Modern.

What pros and cons do you see for each? From the standpoints of beauty, originality, psychology, whatever.

EDIT: I intended to place a "VS." between the groups, but I think you see that.

6 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

This is a very philosophical topic obviously, but one I hope to be addressed as a binary choice:

But it rarely is.  Despite the bizarre straw man in the thread title.

Didn't mean to raise a straw man ... honestly wanted to debate old-fashioned vs. modern. There's lots of Broncos and Pats fans that would love to go back..

Well I'll just go with my positions: The one that turned me around, just recently, was surprise! The old Buffalo.

I was looking at it for awhile and it impressed me, it's more respectful toward the mascot than the silly blurry new guy. I know it looks hopelessly stuck in that spot, but that's the mascot.

And the newer Dolphin.  Actually not that Dolphin, there was one in the middle - very similar to the old one, but with a "mean" look on its face.

A Mean look?! If they don't want the Dolphin anymore, pick another mascot that's naturally "angry," but don't "invent" a mutant animal. .

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What does "hipster mod" even mean?  What are we doing here?

I feel old and in the way.

2 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

Didn't mean to raise a straw man ... honestly wanted to debate old-fashioned vs. modern. There's lots of Broncos fans that would love to go back..

I know there’s some that would like to go back, but I’m not one of them. New logo is superior in every way. 

In general though, I think declaring one type of design (old school v. new school) better than the other is a little strong. I personally don’t care when a logo was made, whether it’s from 2017 or 1917, I’ll pick the one that I think looks better. Sometimes it’s the newer logo, sometimes it’s the older logo. When it was designed doesn’t matter, what matters is if I think it looks good

The current Dolphins logo may be the worst of either set, just an atrocious logo.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What does "hipster mod" even mean?  What are we doing here?

Hipster modern,  the Dolphins logo and Texans seem to fall in to that category. You can group logos together based on release dates but that doesn't make them equal. The flying Elvis is a better logo than Pat the Patriot, but the current Dolphins logo is a huge downgrade from what they used in the 80's and 90's.  

It's funny that you call the Bills current logo "new".

2 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

Didn't mean to raise a straw man ... honestly wanted to debate old-fashioned vs. modern. There's lots of Broncos and Pats fans that would love to go back..

The problem is that you’re treating it as a binary. 

I like the new Patriots logo but prefer the old Broncos logo. It’s not a one or the other thing. 

26 minutes ago, SHaMROCK said:

It's funny that you call the Bills current logo "new".

That was exactly my thought... there’s a 40 year window on the “hipster mod” logos.

30 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The problem is that you’re treating it as a binary. 

I like the new Patriots logo but prefer the old Broncos logo. It’s not a one or the other thing. 

Okay, fair enough.

But I had hoped to discuss the clear trend away from realistic, respectful depictions of mascots, and toward malformed, mutant-like versions - however artful they may be.. It might be a  subtle distinction, but it's a valid one. Not to say which approach is "better," but rather which makes the kind of impressions each of us values in what we decorate ourselves with.

Look again ... the older logos are realistic depictions of honored mascots and namesakes, while the new logos are industrialized impressionistic  versions.

It's as if the mascots themselves aren't good enough anymore ... we need the X-Men versions now. 

7 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

It's as if the mascots themselves aren't good enough anymore ... we need the X-Men versions now. 

What???

Each logo has its own unique design. I don't think you can go with this "Hipster Mod vs Old fashioned" argument.

Look at the Atlanta Hawks. They did a great update with their Pac-Man logo. The fans wanted it and they were given a nice update of a classic logo. 

The only binary choice is good logos are good, and bad logos are bad. Some can stand the test of time, and some can’t.

The Bills logo you liked had already had a lengthy “beta period” before the Bills used it, so it’s no surprise it holds up reasonably well.

1936-s-buffalo-nickel.jpg

Side note, can you please type in the normal font size, your big words are triggering my OCD.

Cosmic, if your "good" vs "bad" were the only distinction, we'd be stuck with nothing but subjective evaluations. Which is fine, I guess ... but I'd like to think there are some measures of value everyone can agree on.  

I guess the "clear trend" I talked about is not exactly an unbroken line ... how's this for some early "industrialized impressionism?"  😄

tO8bu9D.png

Talking to me on the font size? I'll try ... hard to see what I'm typing though.

I think this argument works better for the modern day minor league and all its wild and out there identities, compare those to the days of just taking the parent teams name and look. I don’t think the nfl is a good example. All those logos are upgrades in many ways.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

tO8bu9D.png

You say modern day logos are “mutant” and compare them to X-men, this is more mutant than any of the modern logos above

2 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

You say modern day logos are “mutant” and compare them to X-men, this is more mutant than any of the modern logos above

Yes, that was my point posting it ... that the trend does have exceptions.

And that is one WACKY exception ....

And sorry, but I can't figure how to change the thread title.......

What on earth makes a sports logo “hipster”?