Sign in to follow this  
BroncoBuff

LOGOS: Hipster Mod or Old-Fashioned?

I know it’s been mentioned already, but you do know that the Bills “New” Logo has been around since the 1970s? 

Mans if you are going to use the Oilers, then compare it to the Titans, not Texans. Ya know, the actual team they cane from, share half their colors with, and city? (for 2 years)

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

What on earth makes a sports logo “hipster”?

An ironic moustache? Regrettable tattoos? Being associated with Portland?

10 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

An ironic moustache? Regrettable tattoos? Being associated with Portland?

Drinking craft beer, listening to soft rock, joining in on feminist marches.

Wearing flannel shirts and knit hats during the summer, skinny jeans, hanging out at Starbucks...

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Hipster modern,  the Dolphins logo and Texans seem to fall in to that category. You can group logos together based on release dates but that doesn't make them equal. The flying Elvis is a better logo than Pat the Patriot, but the current Dolphins logo is a huge downgrade from what they used in the 80's and 90's.  

I still haven't heard what "hipster modern" means.  How does anything fall into that category if that category doesn't exist?  Please explain.

This thread is literally just BroncoBuff making an excuse to tell us that he hates new logos and "hipsters". 

I'm starting to think maybe "hipster" was the wrong word to use ... 🙄

7 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

I'm starting to think maybe "hipster" was the wrong word to use ... 🙄

Well yeah, it was.

10 hours ago, dont care said:

Drinking craft beer, listening to soft rock, joining in on feminist marches.

See this one I’ve never understood.

i thought hipsters drank PBR. The people standing in interminable lines at my local craft breweries are all finance bros or depressed suburban dads.

“Hipster” doesn’t have any one definition.  The word has been around since the 1930s, and the definition constantly evolves to match youth trends. It basically boils down to “one who follows the fashions of the day.”  A hipster in 1942 shares little with a hipster in 1965, and even less with a hipster in 2019.  In a society as expansive and pluralistic as ours, even hipsters of the same generation could be as radically different as the trends of the culture.

As such, the term means different things to different people.  Which is why it’s ultimately meaningless.

Personally, I don't mind the current Dolphin logo, I never liked the angry Dolphin. I happen to see it all the time living in South Florida. But I will say is a big fail is getting rid of the Dolphins script wordmark.

I think you've torpedoed your own topic with the use of hipster in the definition, but generally you're asking are more modern, stylised logos designed to be bolder and used effectively in a variety of mediums better than old logos?

I think the answer is almost always yes, but there are lots of times where a modern logo is poorly design, or an good old logo has a lot of nostalgia attached to it.

You can't have a binary choice when modern logos might be instant classics, like the Texans logo, or poorly realised for various reasons like the Dolphins logo.

A REAL hipster opinion would be trying to argue why the Ball State Cardinals’ logo is such an “underrated classic:”

6524_ball_state_cardinals-alternate-2015

13 hours ago, Digby said:

What on earth makes a sports logo “hipster”?

Jaguars.png

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

A REAL hipster opinion would be trying to argue why the Ball State Cardinals’ logo is such an “underrated classic:”

6524_ball_state_cardinals-alternate-2015

If it was cleaned up more, than possibly.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I feel like this thread quickly evolved into a train wreck 

Yeah, so quick it was there from the first post

Man, you guys are being a tough crowd here. Ok, the guy tried a little too hard to be clever in his title... Yes, "hipster" is a dopey and meaningless term.  Get past it already. The question was, I think, do you (in a general sense) prefer more modern or more traditional logo? Yes, obviously good logos of either type are better than bad logos of either type. No spit, Sherlock. Any other thoughts?

I prefer a well-designed logo.  That might be a "hipster mod" logo, or it could be a "hipster trad" logo.  I guess I like "hipster good" logos.

8 hours ago, Digby said:

See this one I’ve never understood.

i thought hipsters drank PBR. The people standing in interminable lines at my local craft breweries are all finance bros or depressed suburban dads.

The hipster culture we grew up with and laughed about died sometime around 2012-2014 as the last of the Gen-Xers and borderliners aged out. True millennials are too uptight and compliant for all that.