LOGOS: Hipster Mod or Old-Fashioned?

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

“Hipster” doesn’t have any one definition.  The word has been around since the 1930s, and the definition constantly evolves to match youth trends. It basically boils down to “one who follows the fashions of the day.”  A hipster in 1942 shares little with a hipster in 1965, and even less with a hipster in 2019.  In a society as expansive and pluralistic as ours, even hipsters of the same generation could be as radically different as the trends of the culture.

As such, the term means different things to different people.  Which is why it’s ultimately meaningless.

Hipsters follow the fashions of the day? Try telling (insert quirky name here) that xhe is mainstream.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s a pretty significant difference between the “mainstream” and “those who follow the fashions of the day”.

The mainstream are the squares, those who don’t follow fashions.  Hipsters rebel against the conformity of the mainstream, largely by conforming to an entirely different set of standards. ;) 

In baseball terms, the mainstream are the Yankees. As opposed to the A’s; although in the last forty years the A’s have become almost as staid as the Yankees, meaning we need somebody new to come in and pee all over baseball tradition.  😛

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There’s a pretty significant difference between the “mainstream” and “those who follow the fashions of the day”.

The mainstream are the squares, those who don’t follow fashions.  Hipsters rebel against the conformity of the mainstream, largely by conforming to an entirely different set of standards. ;) 

In baseball terms, the mainstream are the Yankees. As opposed to the A’s; although in the last forty years the A’s have become almost as staid as the Yankees, meaning we need somebody new to come in and pee all over baseball tradition.  😛

I've always taken issue with the idea that the A's are somehow the plucky underdogs who never had a chance. They're one of the founding American League teams, have nine World Series titles, four of which came after moving the Oakland. Sure, the last one was 1989, but the A's are a tradition rich franchise and have had more success winning championships over their entire history than any team not named the Yankees, Cardinals, or Red Sox. They just haven't done so in their recent history.

That's not to say I'm down on the A's. They have one of my favorite uniforms in baseball. If anything, I love their quirky history of having played in three cities (and maybe eventually a fourth if they someday leave Oakland) in spite of being such a storied club.

I'd add something to keep my post relevant to the OP, but anything I'd have to add would just be redundant with what's already been said.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

The underdog spirit of the Moneyball A's came entirely from the team being sold by an heir to a jeans fortune to a comparatively cash-poor consortium of businessmen in the mid-to-late '90s. It's not that the A's have historically been disadvantaged -- for a good while it was the Giants who were trying to run a baseball team on couch change and a dream -- it's just that they were in relation to the Yankees and Red Sox, whose revenue streams were blowing open at the turn of the millennium.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/6/2019 at 7:47 AM, Gothamite said:

I think, aesthetically speaking, that the Diamondbacks are already quietly doing that. Both they and the Marlins could take it to a whole new level if only they would play up the bright colors in their schemes and stop emphasizing black so much.

Archived