Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Argos with light blue as the predominant color is interesting. 

 

spacer.png

They look like a Southern knockoff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Delicate Genius said:

The Redblacks are wearing white pants with black jerseys today.

Yup - and it looks great.  They should keep doing it.  

 

I hope the Roughriders executive is watching.  Give us the green jerseys over white pants at home instead of mono-green all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Delicate Genius said:

The Redblacks are wearing white pants with black jerseys today.

Getting a real Renegade vibe from it. But this is the first time an Ottawa team has worn black over white since October 29th 2005, They lost 43-23 to Montreal. 
500_F_147339363_hyZ8sxnIJnLqiuGft33PwGHQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Ottawa Rough Riders started wearing the mono-black at home in 1989, I thought it was an excellent uniform.  Loved the change from black over white. Not many teams were doing the mono-colour back then and it was an intimidating look.

 

Nowadays, so many teams wear a mono-colour uniform and we've seen Ottawa football teams do it for so long.  I've had my fill of the mono-black.  I now wish Ottawa would switch back to the black jersey over white pants as the primary look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This matchup is beautiful. The best these teams have looked against each other in years.

 

pmp11108666-jpg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still needs black stripes on the pants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

When the Ottawa Rough Riders started wearing the mono-black at home in 1989, I thought it was an excellent uniform.  Loved the change from black over white. Not many teams were doing the mono-colour back then and it was an intimidating look.

 

Nowadays, so many teams wear a mono-colour uniform and we've seen Ottawa football teams do it for so long.  I've had my fill of the mono-black.  I now wish Ottawa would switch back to the black jersey over white pants as the primary look.

No. It really isn't. Not even in high school.

 

It looks cheap, as if you could only afford one pair of pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

No. It really isn't. Not even in high school.

 

It looks cheap, as if you could only afford one pair of pants.

Well, truth be told, the Rough Riders could not even afford the one pair of pants they were wearing at the time 😀.

 

I liked the update to the uniform back then.  The mono-black was a new twist on the classic Rough Rider look.  Jerseys included the quirkiness of having a depiction of the team helmet in the sleeve stripes and every player having their first initial in the nameplate.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping the put out some CFL USA gear. I'd jump so fast at a Sacramento Gold Miners cap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I'm hoping the put out some CFL USA gear. I'd jump so fast at a Sacramento Gold Miners cap. 

 

It's probably only going to be for the current teams.  Staff and players will be wearing the caps and t-shirts for weeks 12 and 13.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That red and green vintage Als logo looks surprisingly nice on a blue background. Red, white, and royal blue with a touch of green could be an interesting colour scheme for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the very trustworthy wikipedia, the CFL was founded January 1958.  The history of the league is a whole lot more interesting than I ever thought.  Anyways, was this a mistake on New Era's part with the since 1957, or does the '57 have a different meaning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, M4One said:

It's probably only going to be for the current teams.  Staff and players will be wearing the caps and t-shirts for weeks 12 and 13.

 

spacer.png

 

That’s a very nice lineup, but shame they didn’t do more with the Eskimos.  Their retro look isn’t as distinct as the others.  Even the old-style helmet treatment they gave Ottawa would have been better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad it most likely won’t be sold at any US stores. I’d jump on that Argos cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, M4One said:

According to the very trustworthy wikipedia, the CFL was founded January 1958.  The history of the league is a whole lot more interesting than I ever thought.  Anyways, was this a mistake on New Era's part with the since 1957, or does the '57 have a different meaning?

 

That's a great catch, I didn't even notice it since I initially saw this in my twitter feed on my phone. 1957 doesn't have any league significance since the Grey Cup was established in 1909, the Canadian Football Council was established in 1956 and was later re-named the Canadian Football League in 1958 (Source: https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/CFL-Book-2017-Perfect-Bind.pdf). Maybe one of these logos was last seen in 1957? The league's press release doesn't say anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall, I like the merch. The re-coloured CFL logo on the back is a nice touch.

 

19 New Era Turf Traditions 950

 

I don't really like how Montreal's hat blends two eras: the red and green logo on a red and blue hat. That's a weird one. And I think Calgary would be more appropriate to have a white and red hat, not a black and red one since back then, black wasn't even a colour for them. Although I think it has to tie into the Labour Day games where Calgary will likely wear their black uniforms which would have looked weird with retro red and white hats. Then again, those jerseys are no longer on the team's merch shop, so maybe something new is in store.

 

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone else besides Saskatchewan will wear retro uniforms for Labour Day. Hamilton is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Hamilton Tigers this year, so it would be most fitting for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.