CFL 2019

Chewbacca

9 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

Uniform drop for the Argos for today.

Who doesn't love Football with Sails logo?  It represents some good times in Argonauts football history. 

Honestly? Not the biggest fan of it.

I DO however, love the thick blue and white stripe the used with the boat throwbacks a couple years back.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Honestly? Not the biggest fan of it.

I DO however, love the thick blue and white stripe the used with the boat throwbacks a couple years back.

I'm not a huge fan of it either. Honestly, recolour Jason and call it a day.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

12 hours ago, nash61 said:

The Pinball/Flutie years were amazing and the nostalgia that would come from this would be great but I don't think it's the best look the Argos could put on the field.

I also really love the football boat logo they used yesterday. It's just fun. 

The Argos have a number of really cool looks to go with but, as much as it wouldn't be my personal 1st choice, I think the current primary logo (the shield) is a very good logo and they shouldn't stray from it.

It's sad that the uniforms this year are so bland. I don't get what they were thinking.

I think they had it right in 2018. (Minus the white helmet, though again, I personally liked the white helmet it makes the most sense to stay to a blue one). The only thing I'd add is extend the pants stripes to the bottom of the pants.

CFL TOR Jersey 2018.png

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

The Pinball/Flutie years were amazing and the nostalgia that would come from this would be great but I don't think it's the best look the Argos could put on the field.

I also really love the football boat logo they used yesterday. It's just fun. 

The Argos have a number of really cool looks to go with but, as much as it wouldn't be my personal 1st choice, I think the current primary logo (the shield) is a very good logo and they shouldn't stray from it.

It's sad that the uniforms this year are so bland. I don't get what they were thinking.

I think they had it right in 2018. (Minus the white helmet, though again, I personally liked the white helmet it makes the most sense to stay to a blue one). The only thing I'd add is extend the pants stripes to the bottom of the pants.

CFL TOR Jersey 2018.png

Please, Argonauts, use contrasting facemasks 😒

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 8/27/2019 at 5:53 PM, M4One said:

It's probably only going to be for the current teams.  Staff and players will be wearing the caps and t-shirts for weeks 12 and 13.

spacer.png

I really wish the Stamps' cap was red--there was no black in those days (& I don't like wearing black caps.)

But if I were a Eskimo, Blue Bomber, Argonaut or Alouette fan, I'd be seriously considering getting the cap--especially the Bombers' one.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

7 hours ago, Stampman said:

I really wish the Stamps' cap was red--there was no black in those days (& I don't like wearing black caps.)

But if I were a Eskimo, Blue Bomber, Argonaut or Alouette fan, I'd be seriously considering getting the cap--especially the Bombers' one.

The Rough Rider one too!

zyyMk1d.png

I'm a big fan of those Eskimos alternates just based on the green and gold concept (no other colours present). I would rather have this than a gold jersey or a black jersey. This jersey design itself is not something I'm sold on, but the gold helmet does add a nice contrast when compared to the green one.

D85_3875-1600x1067.jpg

x000-esks-w.jpg&w=840&h=630

Also, it looks like the Argonauts will wear the boat logo on the helmet for their other two games (both at home) in September. This, according to the Argos PxP man, Mike Hogan.

I'm kind of hoping they wear white at home. I really liked that white jersey, blue pants combo with it. Maybe white socks could balance it out a bit. 

In terms of this question, I like the current logo more. The boat logo fills people with nostalgia, but it looks a little childish. I really don't see it having staying power. Plus, the Argos need to pick a look a stick with it.

If the Argos are wearing Football with Sails logo at home with a blue jersey, they cannot go mono-blue like they have been during the regular season. 

Need to go blue over white as a nostalgic nod with this logo.

Really, the Argos should be going blue over white all the time.  Instead of wearing white pants on the road and blue pants at home as they like to do, they should be doing the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this shouldn't go in the 2019 thread, but the Montreal Alouettes are running a promotion for fans to inspire the design of the 2021 alternate jersey.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/2019/09/25/jersey2021-contest/

Key restrictions are:

"Uniforms can’t be predominantly blue or white. It must be different from our existing uniforms The jersey needs to match with our blue and white pants. The uniform must match with our current helmet."

So it has to be red. Creative freedom! But this is pretty cool and a neat way to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Alouettes.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice the CFL has really pushed retro merchandise this season. I wonder if this is a sign of teams doing throwbacks next year. I hope we will at least get some third jerseys. We have not had any new alternates in five years. I see Montreal is getting one in a couple of years.

2 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

They've also been using the 1969-2002 league logo (recoloured) on their website for weeks.

I've noticed that too. I hope this is all a sign of things to come. 

I wouldn't mind if the league went retro every September. With throwbacks, especially if teams can coordinate and wear them against each other, it would make for a great reflection on the history of the league. 

However, I hope teams don't get trapped in nostalgia and lose their identity. I have no idea what identity the Argos are going for after redoing their uniforms this season and then sticking with retro logos for the back half of the season. It's hard to build brand identity when it keeps changing.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, nash61 said:

Im not a big fan of the "A" shield, it's too generic; at least with the football boat, yes, its cartoonish, but it has character, and represents the Argos nickname.

Archived