CFL 2019

Chewbacca

The Lions have announced that they'll wear their white jerseys at home for next week's game against the Roughriders. As of today's date, no team has worn their white jersey at home during the regular season this year. I kind of wish more teams would, like the NFL does, just to make the uniforms less predictable.

https://www.bclions.com/nexthomegame

NextHomeGame_1018vsSSK_1920x1080-800x450

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G-tron said:

The Lions have announced that they'll wear their white jerseys at home for next week's game against the Roughriders. As of today's date, no team has worn their white jersey at home during the regular season this year. I kind of wish more teams would, like the NFL does, just to make the uniforms less predictable.

The promo indicates "BC Lions players will be wearing their road whites for the first time ever at BC Place".  Do they mean this version of their uniforms?  They wore white at home during regular season in recent past against Ottawa.

https://ottawacitizen.com/gallery/photos-ottawa-redblacks-vs-b-c-lions

I can't decide if I prefer the Lions wearing the black pants or the orange pants with the white jerseys.  Both ways look good.  Maybe the black pants because the uniform is reminiscent to the 1960s look.

Well, may be fitting that the Riders will get to wear their home green uniforms for the game.  Half the crowd in attendance will be Riders fans anyway :)

18 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

The promo indicates "BC Lions players will be wearing their road whites for the first time ever at BC Place".  Do they mean this version of their uniforms?  They wore white at home during regular season in recent past against Ottawa.

I can't decide if I prefer the Lions wearing the black pants or the orange pants with the white jerseys.  Both ways look good.  Maybe the black pants because the uniform is reminiscent to the 1960s look.

Well, may be fitting that the Riders will get to wear their home green uniforms for the game.  Half the crowd in attendance will be Riders fans anyway :)

Honestly now that they fixed that atrocious helmet I think all their options with the whites look pretty good. 

12 hours ago, G-tron said:

Were those helmet renderings done in Paint? Woof.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:40 PM, G-tron said:

Uh no..the NFL teams wear the dark jerseys at home and white on the road.

Sorry, IMHO the Als and Lions are a downgrade from the previous uniforms.

With the Als, I liked the Anthony Calvillo "french" themed look ( red jerseys with white vertical stripes, blue shoulders and sleeves). The current ones look too cluttered far away. You cant decipher between the red and the blue on the dark jerseys. And the white uniforms look too plain/generic.

As for the Lions, ditch the black helmet, leave that for the REDBLACKS and the Ti-cats; orange or white should be the primary color for the helmet and black or orange primary color of jerseys.

2 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Sorry, IMHO the Als and Lions are a downgrade from the previous uniforms.

With the Als, I liked the Anthony Calvillo "french" themed look ( red jerseys with white vertical stripes, blue shoulders and sleeves). The current ones look too cluttered far away. You cant decipher between the red and the blue on the dark jerseys. And the white uniforms look too plain/generic.

As for the Lions, ditch the black helmet, leave that for the REDBLACKS and the Ti-cats; orange or white should be the primary color for the helmet and black or orange primary color of jerseys.

I agree the Als and Lions uniforms could use improvement, but have to respectfully disagree about some of this.  If we are mentioning cluttered uniforms, the old Alouettes uniforms fit that bill about as good as any.  I had been patiently waiting for so many years for that busy mess of a uniform and cartoon bird logo to be retired.  My wishes were answered this season.

The Lions really had there look right prior to 2016, when they had the uniforms featuring white helmet with orange jerseys.  Things went downhill after wearing these beauties:

spacer.png   

Hope the uniforms get fixed next year when they have a chance to have the jersey move away from the adidas template.  Have feeling we will need to get used to seeing the black helmet though for some time.  The Lions do have a history with a black helmet from the late 1950s to 1977.  What would really help is to wear white pants at home and fix the jersey.  More like a modern version of their early to mid 1970s uniforms.

Orange primary helmet will not happen for them in times when CFL has one shell rule.  The Lions need to stick with the orange jersey as primary.  The black jersey will make a fine alternate option but going back to wearing a black jersey again as primary would be a big mistake for the Lions.

If we are picking a team should ditch the black helmet, I vote for the Tiger-Cats.  It would just be so sweet if they embraced some of their old tradition and went back to the yellow helmet.

3 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Uh no..the NFL teams wear the dark jerseys at home and white on the road.

Depends on the team. The cowboys don't, and several of the southern teams wear white at home early in the season due to heat.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

16 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The Stamps decided to wear their alternates last night and I think I heard it's the first time they've ever worn black alts outside of the Labour Day game and the home playoff game. They didn't switch to the chrome decal though.

They've been wearing them for one additional game late in the regular season for the past few years. 

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2538/saskatchewan-roughriders-vs-calgary-stampeders/ 

Image result for october 20, 2018 saskatchewan-calgary

October 20, 2018

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2440/saskatchewan-roughriders-vs-calgary-stampeders/

Image result for october 20, 2017 saskatchewan-calgary

October 20, 2017 (not a typo, that's actually the date)

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2346/toronto-argonauts-vs-calgary-stampeders/

Image result for october 21, 2016 toronto-calgary

October 21,2016

Wow, they probably should have worn these uniforms against Winnipeg next week instead (October 19). It seems to fit the date mould more.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, Wade Heidt said:

The fact that the press release says "road whites" seems to indicate that the CFL has more of a college football/NHL "home dark/road white" concept while the NFL is more along the NBA lines of "home team choice".

Seeing the Roughriders wearing the green jersey under the dome at BC Place on Friday night was a rare site.

spacer.png

Got me thinking when was the last time the Riders wore their green jerseys under a dome during a meaningful game, regular season or playoffs (not counting pre-season).

All I can think of is 1989 Grey Cup in Skydome.  

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

So I'm guessing we will probably see this uniform in the West Final?

That's probably a good bet. They wore them last year when they hosted a playoff game and again in 2013 (the other most recent home playoff game).

Calgary will likely wear the black outlaw uniforms and Hamilton has announced theirs as a "blackout" game, indicating black jerseys and pants.

The Lions wore their New Era orange jerseys with black pants for the first time last night. It was a good opponent to wear them against since black pants clash better with Calgary's red pants. It was a nice change and I'm glad to finally see it, but the all orange look has grown on me a bit.

Image result for lions stampeders 2019

I was surprised it took the Lions so long to wear the black pants at home, considering it was a regular home look for them with the old uniforms from 2016-2018.  Was a safe bet it was going to be subbed in at home at some point.

I don't mind the orange over orange either, which is surprising to me.  If someone would have told me before the season that the Lions would switch to orange over orange at home, I would have checked if it was April 1.  However, still feel the black helmet and orange jersey would look better over white pants.

Disappointed that the Tiger-Cats sound like they are going mono-black for the East Final.  Does not look good with the lack of stripes on the black pants and the solid black socks.  Their home uniforms are so much better when it is the black jersey over the yellow pants.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:35 PM, Chromatic said:

Honestly now that they fixed that atrocious helmet I think all their options with the whites look pretty good. 

1 hour ago, G-tron said:

The Lions wore their New Era orange jerseys with black pants for the first time last night. It was a good opponent to wear them against since black pants clash better with Calgary's red pants. It was a nice change and I'm glad to finally see it, but the all orange look has grown on me a bit.

Image result for lions stampeders 2019

Best they’ve looked in several years. The new (older style) helmet was the best decision they could have made. Black pants are just icing on the cake.

Archived