Canada Must've Really Pissed Off the Greek Gods

wheateater

OK. Here's the scenario...

First, Athens sustains an earthquake in the afternoon of about 4.5 on the Richter scale...

Then, :flagcanada: Lori-Ann Muenzer wins gold in the sprint cycling final when she wasn't supposed to do anything...

Then, :flagcanada: Perdita Felicien falls and crushes Canada's gold medal dreams in the 100m hurdles...

Then, :flagcanada: Alexandre Despatie, the gold medal favourite in the 3m springboard diving final, blows the third of his six dives, only to salvage the silver on a kick-ass final dive...

Then, the :flagcanada: baseball team coughs up a lead in the 8th inning by giving up 6 runs to Cuba, then puts runners on the corners with two out in the 9th, when the hitter representing the potential tying run blasts a high fly ball to the left-field fence where the Cuban outfielder snags it less than a foot from the top of the wall, robbing us of a tie game...

Now...anyone know what the hell's going on here? 'Cause I sure don't. This is really messed up...

I'm just wondering what else those gods have planned for us in the five (?) remaining days of competition. :wacko:

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Even though Despatie was the gold-medal favourite, I think a bad dive was in the works. Just like Emilie Heymans, only not as bad.

As for Perdita, I had a feeling that was coming. I joked with my brother last wekk that she will pull a Jeremy Witherspoon (speed-skater who was the gold-medal favourite in the 500m) and trip at the start. :wacko:

The Canadian baseball team? They are screwed! Australia beat Japan so now Canada was to play Japan in the bronze-medal game. Had a feeling Canada will finish fourth before the tournament. :wacko:

Here's a question: How many fourth and fifth placed finishes has Canada had? What else do the Greek gods have in store for Canada? Probably a REALLY bad dive for Despatie in the 10m Platform. What else does Canada have left anyways?

I saw, I came, I left.

What else do the Greek gods have in store for Canada? What else does Canada have left anyways?

A helluva lot of canoeing and kayaking?

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

This is extremely disappointing, but I think we still have to look at the bright side, the games have been good thus far, the results of Canadian athletes notwithstanding. But when I saw what looked like a tying home run in the baseball game, I knew it had to be too good to be true. At least we ended up with a gold and a silver today!

This is extremely disappointing, but I think we still have to look at the bright side, the games have been good thus far, the results of Canadian athletes notwithstanding. But when I saw what looked like a tying home run in the baseball game, I knew it had to be too good to be true. At least we ended up with a gold and a silver today!

Yes, this is the kind of optimism we need to have. See...

On paper, we should have had medals in swimming, rowing, and Perdita's hurdles. However, we came out of nowhere to grab medals in wrestling, cycling, floor gymnastics, and trampoline. So it has essentially evened itself out.

Still, I'm disappointed, but we still have until Sunday to rack up even more, and considering the start we got off to, a dozen or so would be pretty damn good.

:flagcanada:

Wagner Athletic Group

Could it have been because of the daughter of the head of the C.O.C. buried a loonie at the base of Mt. Olympus (I think it was)?

What's up with us burying loonies everywhere? Am I the only Canadian who's sick of it?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

in for a penny, in for a pund I guess int he case of the loonies.

I think our atheletes need a collective hymlick manouver, we're chocking right nad left.

but it could be alot worse, we could have NO medals to be happy about...

Yes, this is the kind of optimism we need to have. See...

On paper, we should have had medals in swimming, rowing, and Perdita's hurdles. However, we came out of nowhere to grab medals in wrestling, cycling, floor gymnastics, and trampoline. So it has essentially evened itself out.

Still, I'm disappointed, but we still have until Sunday to rack up even more, and considering the start we got off to, a dozen or so would be pretty damn good.

:flagcanada:

Swimming?? What are you on drugs? On paper we were never supposed to compete for medals in swimming... and low and behold we did not. The media wanted to believe we had a chance, but realistically we did not. Just about every race a Canadian athlete was in they had to either break their personal best or the Canadian record just to advance through to the finals, and for some the semi-finals. Rowing, not quite sure what the hell happened there, still a baffled about that. As far as the trampoline go, Karen Cockburn won bronze at the Sydney games and was the 2003 world champion, so I would not say she came out of nowhere. Again, wrestling we were expected to show well, although Tonya Verbeek was not the one everyone was expecting to earn a medal. Leading up to the Olympics, the talk in regards to Kyle Shewfelt, seemed to centre around him and the vault, so the gold medal in the floor was and is a welcome surprise!

What's up with us burying loonies everywhere? Am I the only Canadian who's sick of it?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Yup. The first time it was cool. Now it's been overused.

In other news, I'm hoping for a nice fall, so I just buried a loonie in my backyard!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

In other news, I'm hoping for a nice fall, so I just buried a loonie in my backyard!

Good luck with that, Sy! That's the thing about Winnipeg...right around the end of August, the groundhog pops out and proclaims 6 more weeks of winter, only to find out it ain't February 2nd yet.

Wagner Athletic Group

Swimming?? What are you on drugs?

Yes. The same stuff all but three of the weightlifters are on. :D

But c'mon. Canada has always been able to at least snag 2 or 3 from the pool, so why should we not hope for at least one? I doubt anyone thought we'd be shut-out there. I know I didn't. Maybe I expect too much...

Wagner Athletic Group

don't want to start a thread for this, so I'll just mention it in here. I was at hot topic (mall store for emo mall punkers, funny shirts though!) today, and I saw a Red Maple Leaf on a Black T-shirt. Below that the words "Invade Canada" I had a laugh thinking of you guys up there.

And then I bought it.

ok...just kidding. 18 bucks????

don't want to start a thread for this, so I'll just mention it in here. I was at hot topic (mall store for emo mall punkers, funny shirts though!) today, and I saw a Red Maple Leaf on a Black T-shirt. Below that the words "Invade Canada" I had a laugh thinking of you guys up there.

And then I bought it.

ok...just kidding. 18 bucks????

18 dollars American seems a little steep, but I want it anyway! :)

Archived