Hockey rules question

smzimbabwe

I've watched hockey since the late 70's and this questionhappened today. If a player is called for a penalty and play continues until his team touches the puck, then he commits another one, what happens? Is the puck immediately called dead and does he serve both penalties? Someone just asked me that and though I pride myself on knowing the rules, that scenario and what happens totally escapes me.

35 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

I've watched hockey since the late 70's and this questionhappened today. If a player is called for a penalty and play continues until his team touches the puck, then he commits another one, what happens? Is the puck immediately called dead and does he serve both penalties? Someone just asked me that and though I pride myself on knowing the rules, that scenario and what happens totally escapes me.

According to USA Hockey, it's consecutive penalties served by the same player. This appears to be the same for the NHL, though I don't have the official rule on hand. So, it would be the literal definition of a double minor.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Yep, NHL too.  Only time I've seen it happen with my own eyes...was one time when I was playing Gretzky 3D Hockey.  Can't recall if it was someone on my team or the opponents.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived