College Athletic Logos Used for Academics & Vice Versa

Earl

In light of USF eliminating the recently created academic bull for the Iconic Bull U for now both academics & athletics, I always wondered how many colleges also use the same marks for both.  On top of my head here's some that I already know of.

spacer.png        spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png

Of course, I couldn't leave out UCF & their pegasus.  The pegasus has appeared on their football & baseball uniforms.  An older version appeared on football helmets in 1981 & 1982 per the Helmet Project.
spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png

What are more examples of above?

I decided to challenge myself and answer my question by going through every P5 school.  Using Wikipedia is probably the fastest to open up each academic website since they're all linked.

spacer.png     spacer.png          spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     

spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png      

spacer.png     spacer.pngspacer.png      spacer.png      spacer.png     

spacer.png      spacer.png     spacer.png

What do most of these have in common?  Letter marks can work well for both academics & athletics.  TCU has a separate academic frog and I'll say Michigan State & Washington are unique for using their Spartan & Cougar logos for both.  Interesting those 2 are commonly the highest rated collegiate logos.  Miami, shown earlier, is the only ACC school to make an appearance.

Ohio State is in a similar situation with the Block O. It’s used for academics, as well as at the 50-yard line and in other athletic applications. The athletics logo, on the other hand, (when used on a white or transparent background) is essentially the Block O with the words “Ohio State” across the center. The colors change/rotate on black, gray or scarlet backgrounds, however.

Nebraska is about 50-50.  Within the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Cornhuskers) you can see that the colleges use the athletic logo.  If you visit the official top-level domain for the university, as well as the colleges, they use the Iron N:

https://www.unl.edu/

https://law.unl.edu/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4R5OqcpMmcsdKDU6eXjO

When UNL is being represented in the larger University of Nebraska System, however, there is also a serif N logo that gets used.  There are similar treatments for UNO (Omaha, Mavericks), UNK (Kearney, Lopers) and the UN Medical Center.  Each school uses the same wordmark for "University of Nebraska --Insert City Here--" but Lincoln uses this alternate logo which has nearly the same outline as the Iron N logo, but has an inner section that's more Times New Roman / Trajan looking than the block letter.  By contrast, UNO uses that same red-black double O logo on everything, both within the UNO campus/identity as well as in the larger system.  I'm not sure why Lincoln is different.

UNLincoln-zidjaw.jpg

300x300.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

icons.jpg

59cac2686a563.image.jpg?resize=400,177images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo574p9ZzyCYAwG_EpiDW

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

In 2015, Texas A&M changed the academic seal to feature the athletics logo. The Texas A&M system uses the same academic seal which is a a bit of a slap in the face of the other 10 distinct universities that fall under the Texas A&M system umbrella.

Image result for texas a&m seal

17 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

In 2015, Texas A&M changed the academic seal to feature the athletics logo. The Texas A&M system uses the same academic seal which is a a bit of a slap in the face of the other 10 distinct universities that fall under the Texas A&M system umbrella.

Image result for texas a&m seal

Similarly, Ohio State changed their academic logo and seal to include the Block O. I kind of wish they still had a separate academic identity, and I feel like they could've updated the seal better when they swapped in the Block O.

OLD

926f3256fd54ed496401bbee4ba6151e.jpg

products-Ohio-State-University-Seal.jpg

NEW

TheOhioStateUniversity-Stacked.jpg

1200px-Ohio_State_University_seal.svg.pn

To expand on Auburn's inclusion in this topic, the University did use a separate logo until two years ago, where they dropped the Samford Hall (main building on campus) silhouette logo for the AU.

More: https://auburnuniforms.com/2017/07/17/auburns-new-academic-logo-looks-familiar/

university-change-605x365.png

In the article I mention Auburn University-Montgomery, as they have a similar silhouette logo and a separate athletic logo. I haven't heard any news since about any logo changes for AUM.

aum-486x365.png

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

How the heck did y'all leave this out??

resources-trident.jpg

First one I thought of...and it's literally plastered all over the state, particularly the IU Health network.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

21 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

spacer.png

It’s not the drum and feathers, but the block “U” is used in various athletic applications, including football midfield and basketball midcourt.

I was debating adding this one just because the block Us are slightly different.  Apparently the U Feathers logo is getting phased out this year (perhaps?) so this may be the Block U used for both academics & athletics soon.

13 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Nebraska is about 50-50.  Within the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Cornhuskers) you can see that the colleges use the athletic logo.

I did see the main N logo on the academic website but I as looked through the brand standards, they really emphasize the wordmark you shared.  I do agree the 50/50 usage.  Thank you for bringing up each of the campuses.

12 hours ago, Buc said:

How the heck did y'all leave this out??

resources-trident.jpg

Oversight on my part, I had the website open to include it but must closed the tab on accident.  Thank you for bringing it up!
spacer.png     spacer.png

So I went through G5 schools which was little more difficult to decipher:

spacer.png      spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     
spacer.png      spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     
spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png    
Notes on these:  Athletics UCONN has an outline; Louisiana Tech's athletics primary has the LA Tech included but the T State version is used on their football helmets, etc.; Buffalo is weird because there's the Spirit Bull but the UB is used to represent athletics a lot; Arkansas State's used to appear on their football helmets; Georgia Southern used the circle eagle until adopting a new athletics brand; UTA's A-Star is used on baseball caps.

In addition, San Jose State last fall unified their academic & athletic spartan logo into one.  Source if you didn't know this.
spacer.png

16 hours ago, Earl said:

spacer.png    
Notes on these:  Athletics UCONN has an outline; Louisiana Tech's athletics primary has the LA Tech included but the T State version is used on their football helmets, etc.; Buffalo is weird because there's the Spirit Bull but the UB is used to represent athletics a lot; Arkansas State's used to appear on their football helmets; Georgia Southern used the circle eagle until adopting a new athletics brand; UTA's A-Star is used on baseball caps.

Still does. It just has to share with the wolf logo. You know how college football uniforms are just the worst. The stAte logo is also at midfield for football, while relegated to secondary status on the basketball court.

Q2tCGTr.jpg

3St1QCt.jpg

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Still does. It just has to share with the wolf logo. You know how college football uniforms are just the worst. The stAte logo is also at midfield for football, while relegated to secondary status on the basketball court.

Obligatory Mitch Hedberg reference:  "The stAte logo used to be on their helmets.  It still is, but used to, too."  I knew I should had followed up more on that.  Thank you for expanding on that.

12 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Arizona State used to have the academic logo at midcourt

NrLqOhS.jpg

VFd0LAR.png

Good find!  I get this mixed up with the now retro Sunburst logo.
spacer.png

Went through the FCS conferences, this are my findings:

spacer.png      spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     

Notes on these:  JMU's athletics include the rattan in the logo.  South Dakota's SD in athletics includes a black drop shadow.  Mississippi Valley State athletics version has a red outline.  Southern University athletics include gold.  Missouri State is shown in its own comment above.

Some schools that I did not display above for certain reasons:  Idaho - Same block I but athletics version has the script Vandals on them & gold vs. rattan.  Northeastern University has a newer thin N used for both academics & athletics but it's combined in different ways if that makes sense.  Drake has nearly identical 'D' for both but the athletics version is slanted.  South Dakota State shows the interlock SD on their institutional website but after going through graphic standards it doesn't appear to be used for academics.

Will go through the remaining of Division I schools soon.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:14 AM, 1991 said:

Missouri State used the same marks for athletics (for a short time) and academics after the name change.

That's true, but they changed away from that (seems like counter what most universities are doing, per this thread), and this is the current academic logo:

logos-carrington-stacked.png

The Bearhead logo is still used over the same wordmark for athletics, but that's because MO State has stubbornly refused to develop an athletics wordmark that differs from the academic wordmark. It's all one unified wordmark used for both.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Archived