On 5/16/2019 at 5:06 PM, NicDB said:

Besides, Long Beach is in the middle of a desert

I know NOLA is the French State, but

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

"Go Cal State Long Beach/Long Beach State Beach/Dirtbags/49ers," said the Shark.

I suspect this will be a transitional identity until the school - inspired by said name - commits to branding its athletic teams as the Cal State Long Beach Clusterfu¢k.  

On 5/29/2019 at 11:01 AM, matthew516 said:

Just realized something. UNLV's Final Four runs featured a shark mascot (an ode to Tark) ...

Image result for unlv shark logo

And Tarkanian coached at Long Beach before going to UNLV ...

Jerry Tarkanian LBSU coach in 1970-71.jpg

Is this an intentional ode to Tark?

I guess Fresno St. Sharks coming soon. He played at Fresno St. and ended his career here.

Ok, let me weigh in here as I have some skin in the game with my dad, three uncles, and two cousins being alums.

This is an absolute fiasco in all aspects.  This is even worse, quite frankly, than the North Dakota situation in that North Dakota actually committed to a rebrand at the end of it and only had the mascot issue to contend with.  For one, the actual survey specified that this would be a change to the nickname as, since there was a "no mascot - Go Beach!" option that people providing feedback were under the impression that this was a replacement for 49ers and not just the costumed guy roaming in the Pyramid.  Two - this was a vote that didn't even apply to the entire athletic department as the baseball team would still be the Dirtbags.  Three - as has already been discussed they can't even get the name of the school figured out.  Four - with no actual replacement to 49ers you're still going to have apparel manufactured with the officially old but unofficially embraced nickname.  So, you're left with the Cal State Long Beach/Long Beach State 49ers/Dirtbags/Sharks/Beach Athletics.

What makes this even worse is that despite a couple of their Big West rivals having the usual Cal State identity crisis names you have a conference with some unique names and then you have this mess (and yes, I'm including the yet-to-join teams).

Hawaii Rainbow Warriors/Wahine

Cal State Fullerton Titans

UC Irvine Anteaters

UC San Diego Tritons

Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners

Cal Poly Mustangs

Cal State Northridge Matadors

UC Riverside Highlanders

UC Santa Barbara Gauchos

UC Davis Aggies

Long Beach State Beach Athletics?

Fire the marketing director immediately.

VmWIn6B.png

• 3 months later...
On 5/30/2019 at 1:30 PM, LMU said:

Long Beach State Beach Athletics?

Fire the marketing director immediately.

I agree 100%.  They could officially become "Long Beach State Athletics", but then would people start calling them the "A's"?

LAKERS | BRONCOS | GOLDEN BEARS | PAC-12 FOOTBALL

Still somewhat confused about all this due to 'mascot' which can refer to the nickname, the logo representing the nickname, or the costume a person performs in. 

So is the school replacing the nickname 49ers with Sharks?  Keeping the 49ers but with sharks identity?  Or replacing the 'Prospector Pete' mascot with a shark one similar to Katy Perry's Left Shark?

Also, on Wikipedia it says Shark is coming May 2020, anybody know anything about this?

• 1 month later...

Small update, from the Long Beach State men's basketball season-preview press release:

"Long Beach State has officially changed the nickname for all sports other than baseball to the Beach with the NCAA. Please do not refer to LBSU basketball as the 49ers."

So, at least for this season, all non-baseball Long Beach State sports teams are officially "The Beach," baseball is still the "Dirtbags" and the "49ers" are dead.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

29 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Small update, from the Long Beach State men's basketball season-preview press release:

"Long Beach State has officially changed the nickname for all sports other than baseball to the Beach with the NCAA. Please do not refer to LBSU basketball as the 49ers."

So, at least for this season, all non-baseball Long Beach State sports teams are officially "The Beach," baseball is still the "Dirtbags" and the "49ers" are dead.

Awful.

And especially hilarious with LB, while having "Beach" in its name, having probably one of the least consequential beaches in the LA metro area.  Two miles of "meh" between Huntington and the South Bay.

VmWIn6B.png

24 minutes ago, LMU said:

Awful.

And especially hilarious with LB, while having "Beach" in its name, having probably one of the least consequential beaches in the LA metro area.  Two miles of "meh" between Huntington and the South Bay.

Oh, completely.

Those in the administration there, including a few in the athletics department re: recruiting, liked to trumpet that Long Beach State is the only Division 1 university with the word "Beach" in its name. So they could advertise themselves as this SoCal beach university, and its like... well, no. Yes, Long Beach is on the water, and yes, Long Beach has a harbor, but do people in Long Beach even go to the beach in Long Beach? I've seen more people on the "beach" on the sides of the jetty near Naples than on the actual ocean beach.

Again, as someone that did play-by-play and PA announcing for a LBSU sports team for two years, trying to call the team "the Beach" out loud is just all sorts of terrible.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

22 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Again, as someone that did play-by-play and PA announcing for a LBSU sports team for two years, trying to call the team "the Beach" out loud is just all sorts of terrible.

Waiting for Stony Brook to drop Seawolves and become "The Brook."

VmWIn6B.png

10 hours ago, Earl said:

Case example I wanted to bring up:  D3's Slippery Rock University goes by The Rock.  Haven't heard any issues about that, maybe because very few are aware of them.

They're D2, but the point stands. They essentially have no athletic mascot nickname, though they do have a lion mascot named Rocky and a corresponding logo.

Image result for Slippery Rock The Rock

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived