Tampa Bay Rays -> Carolina Pilots relocation

dgnmrwrw

Okay, so it has been seemingly FOREVER since I posted anything resembling a concept on these boards. But I've been playing around with something for a few minutes here and there for probably two weeks now, and I'd love to get some feedback to know if I'm potentially onto something or just wasting my precious free time.

I've always been a fan (like many of you it seems) of the Rays' original Devil Rays identity, but I thought it missed the mark in a few areas. I loved (still do) the gradient. But there were far too many colors in the logo(s), and the uniforms seemed to miss the opportunity to "own" the bright colors by overuse of black and purple. Some parts of the logos also use too many fine details or super thin strokes.

So here's what I got. Right now it's something of a visual dream journal. I apologize for not taking the time to split all the elements into separate files yet. Basically, I dropped the black for a dark purple. I kept the gradient but had the gamut run from yellow to aqua-ish to purple. Purple would be primary, with yellow secondary and aqua tertiary. Light purple only in highlights in the logos. Thickened/simplified some elements and strokes. Have an idea of where I want to go with uniform striping. Started playing with a custom number font, but not sure it can work. Dropped the "Devil," obviously (though I never disliked it). Can't pick a preference of uniform wordmarks.

So let me know what, if anything is worth continuing. I appreciate all comments ahead of time. Thanks guys!

spacer.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE IT! These are much better than what the Rays have now. While the traditionalists would prefer the MLB-standard block, the custom number font is a nice change of pace for the Rays, given that the organization was established in the late 90's. Maybe you could narrow the numbers to fit on the jersey. Also, better change the color of the number on the green background. Can't wait for the actual uniforms!

Nice work, especially the new logo! I really like the re-done gradient, as well as the new number style. The only part I'm not feeling is the gradient on the seafoam green backdrop; the gold-purple gradient is a little muddy-looking. 

Can we see some uniform designs?

17 hours ago, edjb93 said:

I LOVE IT! These are much better than what the Rays have now. While the traditionalists would prefer the MLB-standard block, the custom number font is a nice change of pace for the Rays, given that the organization was established in the late 90's. Maybe you could narrow the numbers to fit on the jersey. Also, better change the color of the number on the green background. Can't wait for the actual uniforms!

Yeah the numbers are bothering me the most. The standard MLB Block looks out of place, but what I've started on needs work.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Nice work, especially the new logo! I really like the re-done gradient, as well as the new number style. The only part I'm not feeling is the gradient on the seafoam green backdrop; the gold-purple gradient is a little muddy-looking. 

Can we see some uniform designs?

You're probably correct about the muddy gradient. When I did the full gradient, the sea foam section sort of disappeared. I'll play around with it.

Thanks guys, I do plan to do uniforms. No idea how long it will take me to get around to it though!

It's an upgrade for sure.  But if I didn't know of the origin, there's still no way I would guess this was the identity of a major league club.  Maybe it'd work for NPB, if anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just realized I stupidly didn't label them for easy identification. I'll take your picks and get back with some more work.

EDIT: looks like the solid "Rays" with some sort of gradient outline is the clear favorite. I may try to use one of the others on an alternate jersey.

OK, so I have played around with the marks a bit. I felt that if I'm going to go with a solid purple, then I want to find a way to play up the gradient (which I really don't want to lose emphasis of) and yellow and sea foam at the same time. So now I have the gradients in the outlines only using those two colors.

I've also included a rough look at the marks on top of pinstripes, because I haven't completely ruled out the idea of using them on the home primary. In both instances, I'm partial to 1st column, second row, but I'd love any new input.spacer.png

spacer.png

I like the pinstripes. Kinda interesting the Devil Rays were the only one of the '90s expansion teams that didn't experiment with pinstripes at first. 

That being said, I think I'd go with row 4, column 2. 

I agree with you that the second row in general looks the best on pinstripes. The other two, especially the third row, end up losing the rainbow element in the pinstripes, which doesn't look that great. Having that distinct outline between the rainbow and pinstriping makes it much more easily readable.

Ok. Thanks for all the input. Back with a few more options. I've narrowed down the home jersey wordmarks. Not sold on the pinstripes, think i'm leaning away from them and toward a cleaner look to focus on the gradient. I've also done some road jersey options. I feel like the gradient is more prominent on top of the gray (which I like). Also not sure if I should include the ray itself or not. And is the road mark too long to fit well on the jersey?

C+C always appreciated.

spacer.png

Ok, thanks people. Back with what I hope will be the final wordmark options. Should be pretty self-explanatory. Personally I'm preferring the ray with the marks, and probably the double-tiered road wordmark. (Also, if anyone can point me toward a nice, clean vector baseball uniform file so I don't have to scroll through dozens of old posts, that would be aweseome....)  As always, feedback welcome!

spacer.png

Archived