oldschoolvikings

NFC re-do... minor changes (when possible) plus all-new single alts.

Recommended Posts

 

(Well, this thread is now something different.  Originally, it was just the NFC North, because I thought that division was the least in need of wholesale changes, and then added the NFC East, because they IMO also were less in need of complete changes, but had to fiddle a bit more.  Now, I've decided to go ahead and do the whole NFL.  As I go along, obviously, some teams will get just some minor adjustments, while others will get total re-dos.  I think the plan is to work from the divisions with the  least amount of need to the most.)

 

I decided to fiddle around with the 4 teams from the NFC North, IMO the best dressed division in the NFL.  All are at the very least pretty good. I feel the Lions current uniforms are the weakest of the group, and even they are easily in the top half of the league. So, as far as their everyday looks go there isn't much to do.  Just a few minor tweaks to take them from very very good to near-perfect.  I do feel that the alts and/or color rush uniforms leave a bit to be desired, though, so I came up with all-new looks there. (In my perfect NFL, teams would be back to just one alt, whether it's a throwback, color rush, or just a simple jersey re-color.)

 

Anyway, as always, comments, thoughts, complaints, complements, and brownie recipes are appreciated.

 

Here we go... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's start with Green Bay.  A classic look, obviously, but still in need of a little polishing. The current collars are pretty dated IMO... a bit too busy.  And I've never liked the road stripes with the extra white space.  The sleeve stripes here are the same width home and road, both with 5 stripes total. Sock stripes make a comeback. The alt is a throwback to an early 50's uniform that was bright kelly green monochrome, so how can you pass it up?

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next the Bears.  In the past, I've made some concepts that "fixed" the stripe inconsistencies, but I've come to realize those so-called inconsistencies are actually awesome, so I've made almost no changes on the home and road, just moving the GSH off the sleeve to the jersey front. I've decided against a throwback because the Bears basically wear their best throwback as their normal uniform every week, and I've never really liked any of the throwbacks they've tried. The orange alt is based on the road uni instead of the home uni, and has the added benefit of supplying them with an extra pair of white pants and a solid navy sock so that if they want to go all-white on the road once or twice a year, they will look a bit more cohesive.  (Gray facemask added to annoy... you're welcome.)

 

spacer.png  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vikings.  Like the Bears, almost no change to the basic home and road... all I added was a pair of white socks with stripes to kill the hated road leotard look. Also, a second pair of white pants with a stripe to match the white jersey, so that if the team wants to wear all-white on a few occasions, the stripes won't have to be mis-matched (it's not a deal breaker, but just something small I'd fix). The alt is a throwback to the home uniform from 1969, the Vikings 1st Super Bowl.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Lions.

 

This is the one I've messed with the most.  I've deep-sixed the asymmetrical wordmarks on the sleeve, first... just going with plain stripes.  Also, it's bugged me from the start that the dark gray only exists on the primary home and road as number outlines, which makes it seem like a shoe-horned afterthought added just as an excuse for that ugly color rush mess. I considered dumping the dark gray all together, but something makes me want to keep it, so I tried to find a few more places for it.  On the white jersey, the small wordmark, NOB, and swooshes are now dark gray, and I changed the outer outline on the helmet logo to dark gray, which helps with the out-of-place color patterning of the current helmet logo. Living in Detroit, I'm well aware of how beloved the Lions' ultra-plain throwbacks are, but for myself, I feel they've run their course. I decided to keep the dark gray as an alt, just not as a color rush.  I hate the current color rush jersey... even as just a jersey it's a bad design, so I re-worked the whole concept. \

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of tidbits:

 

Packers:

It’s great, you got rid of the collar stripes and that’s all they are from a perfect look. Good job

 

Bears:

The GSH would look better as a patch, similar to college football, if that makes sense, right now it looks strange because that spot is normally reserved for team names and city names. I love the striping on all three, I love the orange jersey, but drop the orange face mask and just keep it grey.

 

Vikings:

 drop the unnecessary black and your golden, I love the throwback.

 

Lions:

I would remove dark grey, it just muddled up the look. Remove the number outlines aswell. I think the Lions would look okay sans white, their helmet is currently beautiful and I think the changes are just for changes sake. The dark grey set is an swing and a miss for me. Detroit doesn’t need an alternate, if anything an all white set or white with silver pants. Even with the dark grey jersey, and the unnecessary changes, the removal of the stripe words does so much to make this set great. Btw idk if it’s intentional but you’ve forgotten sock stripes on the blue and grey jersey sets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Couple of tidbits:

 

Packers:

It’s great, you got rid of the collar stripes and that’s all they are from a perfect look. Good job

 

Bears:

The GSH would look better as a patch, similar to college football, if that makes sense, right now it looks strange because that spot is normally reserved for team names and city names. I love the striping on all three, I love the orange jersey, but drop the orange face mask and just keep it grey.

 

Vikings:

 drop the unnecessary black and your golden, I love the throwback.

 

Lions:

I would remove dark grey, it just muddled up the look. Remove the number outlines aswell. I think the Lions would look okay sans white, their helmet is currently beautiful and I think the changes are just for changes sake. The dark grey set is an swing and a miss for me. Detroit doesn’t need an alternate, if anything an all white set or white with silver pants. Even with the dark grey jersey, and the unnecessary changes, the removal of the stripe words does so much to make this set great. Btw idk if it’s intentional but you’ve forgotten sock stripes on the blue and grey jersey sets

 

Thanks for the feedback!

 

The Bears' GSH being under the collar is something I'm not totally sold on either... I just know I've gotten tired of it in the middle of the sleeve stripe.

 

I've gone back in forth on the Vikings' use of black.  I think it works on the horn, maybe not as much on the facemask.  I guess I'm not sure about matching a purple mask to that particular helmet finish.

 

And, like I said, I thought about just dropping the dark gray from the Lions, but something about it made me want to try to save it. I dunno, maybe I thought just getting rid of it was taking the easy way out... does that make any sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Let's start with Green Bay.  A classic look, obviously, but still in need of a little polishing. The current collars are pretty dated IMO... a bit too busy.  And I've never liked the road stripes with the extra white space.  The sleeve stripes here are the same width home and road, both with 5 stripes total. Sock stripes make a comeback. The alt is a throwback to an early 50's uniform that was bright kelly green monochrome, so how can you pass it up?

 

spacer.png


Love that you removed the stripey mess on the collar. How that managed to be the only change from the Forrest Gregg years that stuck around, I have no idea.

I prefer the original Lombardi striping designs, but I could more than live with the way you executed them.  And I love the stripes on the socks!

I would prefer something blue for the alts.  But if you want to go kelly green, I would suggest the 1936 championship season rather than throwing back to an era most fans want to forget.

spacer.png
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 8:22 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Next the Bears.  In the past, I've made some concepts that "fixed" the stripe inconsistencies, but I've come to realize those so-called inconsistencies are actually awesome, so I've made almost no changes on the home and road, just moving the GSH off the sleeve to the jersey front. I've decided against a throwback because the Bears basically wear their best throwback as their normal uniform every week, and I've never really liked any of the throwbacks they've tried. The orange alt is based on the road uni instead of the home uni, and has the added benefit of supplying them with an extra pair of white pants and a solid navy sock so that if they want to go all-white on the road once or twice a year, they will look a bit more cohesive.  (Gray facemask added to annoy... you're welcome.)

 

spacer.png  

I'm not a fan of the GSH at the  neck but the rest of this looks good. I'm not sure where a better spot for it would be but I think it should stay on the jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm not a fan of the GSH at the  neck but the rest of this looks good. I'm not sure where a better spot for it would be but I think it should stay on the jersey. 

 

Yeah, I'm gonna move it.  Maybe above the NOB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 2:14 AM, NicDB said:


Love that you removed the stripey mess on the collar. How that managed to be the only change from the Forrest Gregg years that stuck around, I have no idea.

I prefer the original Lombardi striping designs, but I could more than live with the way you executed them.  And I love the stripes on the socks!

I would prefer something blue for the alts.  But if you want to go kelly green, I would suggest the 1936 championship season rather than throwing back to an era most fans want to forget.

spacer.png
 

 

 

Like this?

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

Yeah, I'm gonna move it.  Maybe above the NOB?

That's what I was thinking. The front would be so cluttered with 100 year logos and this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work fellas

 

I'm new here and I see you guys are into the NFC North stuff

 

I am a novice I guess and I am trying to recreate the rear bumper from the the Lions mid 90s

 

ANy help would be truly appreciated

 

Here the link I posted

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's what I was thinking. The front would be so cluttered with 100 year logos and this.

 

Here's an idea...

 

Ohio State does this on the back collar;

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

So the Bears could embroider some simple lettering...

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So initially, this was just an NFC North thread... the idea being that those teams were in need of very little changes, so I would just do some minor clean up and add some new alts. In my perfect NFL, every team would go back to just a single alternative look, whether that alt was a throwback or not, and the "color rush" concept would just mercifully go away.  I liked what I came up with and decided to expand it into the NFC East, a division that is also fairly nice. I found that, like the NFC North teams, New York and Washington would just need a bit of tweaking, while Dallas would need a little more, and Phillly more still.  I may expand this to the rest of the NFL, although if I do, as I go along some teams are going to need more than just a slight tweak obviously.

 

Concepts to follow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Giants have one of my favorite uniforms, at least before they introduced those pointless white pants. I'm getting rid of those, adding some very small color elements onto the jerseys and pulling an interesting throwback from their distant past;

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've brought up my issues with Washington's look before... I hate the yellow facemask, and I'm bugged by the mismatching stripes, so I'm attempting to clean that up. The throwback is to the Sonny Jurgensen 60's look;

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas is getting more work.  I'm standardizing the colors. Dark royal blue and metallic blue-silver throughout. (Navy and silver is boring, and used in other places better IMO.) The Dark uniform gets a complete overhaul to match the home whites, and the throwback is similar to one worn in the past. spacer.png  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And finally the Eagles.  I'm in the kelly green camp... that ugly midnight blue-ish green thing they seem to be so in love with isn't going anywhere, but it should. New font also. Simplified wing for the helmet... complete removal of all black. The throwback to the Vermeil/Jaworsky 70's uniform.

 

spacer.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Giants have one of my favorite uniforms, at least before they introduced those pointless white pants. I'm getting rid of those, adding some very small color elements onto the jerseys and pulling an interesting throwback from their distant past;

 

spacer.png

Personally, I would move the TV Numbers on the Blue Jersey down to the Sleeves, rather than the shoulders. It’s a thing that has bugged me with how it compares to the original pre-70s version. Also, on players like Eli Manning and (soon) Daniel Jones, since they have long sleeves, it seems very empty, and since they are the current and soon-to-be faces if the Giants, all their pictures will she empty sleeves.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.