NFL re-do... minor changes (when possible) plus all-new single alts.

oldschoolvikings

9 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Personally, I would move the TV Numbers on the Blue Jersey down to the Sleeves, rather than the shoulders. It’s a thing that has bugged me with how it compares to the original pre-70s version. Also, on players like Eli Manning and (soon) Daniel Jones, since they have long sleeves, it seems very empty, and since they are the current and soon-to-be faces if the Giants, all their pictures will she empty sleeves.

I've thought of that too... It does make the blue jersey seem even more plain than it is. But the idea that the home jersey would have sleeve numbers and the road jersey would have shoulder numbers just pokes at my OCD.  I'm not sure why that specifically bugs me when other similar issues aren't a problem for me, but there you go.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just posted this in the OP...

(Well, this thread is now something different.  Originally, it was just the NFC North, because I thought that division was the least in need of wholesale changes, and then added the NFC East, because they IMO also were less in need of complete changes, but had to fiddle a bit more.  Now, I've decided to go ahead and do the whole NFL.  As I go along, obviously, some teams will get just some minor adjustments, while others will get total re-dos.  I think the plan is to work from the divisions with the  least amount of need to the most.)

I still have my NFL uber thread where I dump any crazy idea that pops into my head here... https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/95410-oldschoolvikings-nfl-concepts-newold

So, I'm going to continue with the idea of doing as little as necessary (IMO, of course), but as I move to the NFC South, most of these teams are getting more work.  To me, Atlanta and Tampa can't get by with minor adjustments.

So, here we go...

• 2 weeks later...

Back at, and moving on to the NFC West.  The whole idea of minimum changes is getting harder, as the NFC West has 2 of my least favorite uniforms, Seattle and Arizona. So, I'll start with the easy one, the 49ers.

Keeping it pretty much the same, except I'm moving the '94 from road to home, because the color rush nonsense is dead.  Also, I'm going back to the 3 sleeve stripes. I get the idea of the 2 being better matchy-matchy, but it just loses something for me;

spacer.png

The Rams are a tricky one, because they're just on the cusp of a change, and what they're currently wearing is so disjointed, but I'll give it a go. I've been advocating the gold jersey/white pants look for years, but here I'll give it a rest, and only use it as an alternate.  I'm trying to work with the idea of the the sleeve horn more as an implication, instead of literally. It always bugged my that they had four sets of horns per uniform... I know that doesn't bother everybody, but it does me.  This sleeve is suppose to suggest the feel of the swoop from trhe horn, without just copying it. Also, I'm trying to interject a bit more color balance, particularly on the blue uniform. Also, I'm keeping the current font...

spacer.png

So, the Seahawks...

Honestly, I'd blow it up.  I have an irrational hatred of their current uniform... there are worse looks, but I always consider it one of my least favorites.  I think it's a combination of my love of their original colors, and the fact that they pioneered the NFL monochrome, which will always annoy me. In my main NFL thread, I've posted numerous complete overhauls for them, but here I tried hard to change as little as I could stand to.  So... these are the absolute minimum changes for me.  First, the tiny sublimated pattern in the numbers has to go... useless clutter.  Ditto for the front helmet pattern.  The numbers will be plain white trimmed in green (including the TV numbers) at home and plain navy trimmed in green on the road. The navy pants are gone... the Seahawks have proved they simply cannot be trusted with a dark pants option, so they don't get one.  I've added green elements to the gray pants and white jersey for better color balance.  I've surprised myself by not hating it.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And the Cardinals get the biggest overhaul... there just really wasn't much to save.  The new logo, obviously stays and the number font is pretty good.  Other than that, it's a retreat to the past for them...

spacer.png

The sleeving reminds me of their St Louis look which I assume is what you did there...otherwise pretty good.

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And the Cardinals get the biggest overhaul... there just really wasn't much to save.  The new logo, obviously stays and the number font is pretty good.  Other than that, it's a retreat to the past for them...

spacer.png

Some of the best ones yet! Looks really good.

And for Seattle, I’m surprised you kept the chest stripes and neon. I would’ve guessed you would’ve made it a throwback. I’m not a big fan of the grey. Definitely the weakest rebrand yet.

San Francisco and LA look good, especially the Niners

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

35 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

And for Seattle, I’m surprised you kept the chest stripes and neon. I would’ve guessed you would’ve made it a throwback. I’m not a big fan of the grey. Definitely the weakest rebrand yet.

If I had my choice, I would definitely go full rebrand/throwback for Seattle, but with this thread I'm trying (whenever possible) to do minimum changes. With their current set up, gray pants are by far the best option... I'm beyond sick of their navy blue pants.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:38 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

And the Buccaneers have to get a pretty big overhaul.  I'm trying to split the difference, somewhat, between their current mess and the previous uniform, without simply reverting to it.

spacer.png

White with outline player names & "Bucs" lettering on home and alt jerseys, and you got yourself a winner of blending old school and new school Bucs designs

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

On 5/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I've brought up my issues with Washington's look before... I hate the yellow facemask, and I'm bugged by the mismatching stripes, so I'm attempting to clean that up. The throwback is to the Sonny Jurgensen 60's look;

spacer.png

Wouldn't a gray mask work with both sets for Washington?  For Dallas, can we get a better look at the chest logo?  Nice work!

Back at it, now to the AFC East.  to reiterate, I'm trying to redesign the NFL, with as few moves as possible.  Again, if given free reign, I'd be giving some teams an extreme make-over, but here I'm attempting to limit myself, and add in a single new alt. The AFC East turned out to be surprisingly easy to restrain myself on.  I found I could leave Buffalo, Miami, and the Jets somewhat intact without causing myself too much angst.  New England got a bit more work.

So, going from least changes to most, we'll start with New York;

I'm by no means in love with the new uniform, but I can't call it terrible. One thing that bugs me is the spotty use of black.  I tried to introduce more black throughout the primary uniforms, and hated every attempt. Then it occurred to me... why not just drop the black? Like the Lions' current use of dark gray, it really serves no purpose other then to give them an excuse for an all-black alt, which I hate.  So I gave the black the boot, and came up with this. (I'm struggling a bit with the new number font, since I can't find a decent graphic.)

spacer.png

Getting rid of the black also means the alt can be the obvious throwback.

Next, we'll go with the dolphins.  The recent removal of navy saved them IMO, so here, I'm only getting rid of that horrible number font, and trading the tiny, nearly invisible sleeve logo for stripes. The beautiful throwback stays, except I'm updating the pants stripe to match the slightly later superbowl uniforms.

spacer.png

The Bills are getting the Dolphin treatment... we are dropping the pointless navy trim.  Just like it did with Miami, I think it would do amazing things for their look. So, this is pretty straight forward.  Get rid of all navy, go conventional width on the helmet stripe, lose the multiple logo placement, fix the road sock... done. 

spacer.png

Archived